Predator IV Pendulum .029 pin mod

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Buckfever
500 Club

Predator IV Pendulum .029 pin mod

Unread postby Buckfever » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:15 pm

So Joe(JRM) was laying in to me about the .040 pin on the Predator IV asking me friendly questions like how i was able to see the deer let alone the vitals at 40 yards with a pin that big..... innuendo regarding how bad my shooting is to begin with. Through a strange confluence of events I happened to have an extra strand of Nanoptics .029 tough fiber that I bought from Scottcustomarchery.com and it was actually brighter than the .040 tough fiber, but then it was a full yard compared to the 10" of the .040. Long story short I burned another hole in the Predator IV pin, which I think is standard now and I braided the fiber as I ran it through and I was able to wrap what I had left of the strand. It is now brighter than my Spott Hogg wrap and I have a comparatively tiny pin as I only burned it back enough so it wouldn't pull through.

And I hate to admit it, but I have to man up, the accuracy improvement was immediately noticeable.

RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Re: Predator IV Pendulum .029 pin mod

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:45 pm

crazy lookin' rig you got there, hope it continues to work out!
When better is possible, good is never good enough
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:21 pm

That looks great. I like the smaller fiber.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:51 pm

RaisedByWolves wrote:crazy lookin' rig you got there, hope it continues to work out!

I have 24 kills with that sight from 3 yards out to 37 yards. I know I'm probably the last guy still using a pendulum but I really like taking the range estimation out of the equation.
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:59 pm

What are the benefits and disadvantages of a pendulum? I have heard of them before, but do not know much about them? Can you still buy them?

One other thing, some of these last few (ie: Kwik Strap, Buying a New Bow) posts should most likely be moved to the equiment section of the forum. Not trying to be nitpicky, just thinking we should preserve the way things are organized here...........

Looks sweet, I wanna learn more! Is this a good option for others here?
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:30 pm

DropTyne wrote:What are the benefits and disadvantages of a pendulum? I have heard of them before, but do not know much about them? Can you still buy them?

One other thing, some of these last few (ie: Kwik Strap, Buying a New Bow) posts should most likely be moved to the equiment section of the forum. Not trying to be nitpicky, just thinking we should preserve the way things are organized here...........

Yes of course move it to the equipment section, I looked for one and I must of missed it. Oh I see it now it's not under hunting talk, which is what I've linked to.
Last edited by Buckfever on Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:43 pm

DropTyne wrote:What are the benefits and disadvantages of a pendulum? I have heard of them before, but do not know much about them? Can you still buy them?

With the high speed bows of recent years the pendulums have fallen out of favor. And most won't give you much range. The Predator IV is unique in that the design has a short range stop and so you use the stop to sight in the short range and then have the pendulum map out from 20 to say 35 yards depending on the speed of your bow. When I used to pull 73lbs I used to reach out to 37 yards with it before it would fall off. Now with 66lbs maybe and inch and a half high at 20 and maybe low that much at 35.

The negative about this sight is that it's complicated till you understand it and windage is adjusted with a 3/8" wrench and a screwdriver. So the initial setup is tedious. Also it's really a treestand sight, not for ground shooting.

I didn't put this out there to suggest the use of a pendulum, although this is the one I would recommend, for me it's more that if someone is using this sight here's a way to go to a smaller pin for a little more accuracy out at 30+ and retain the pin brightness.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”