buck bed question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHunt

buck bed question

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:00 am

when ur scouting in the spring, how do u realy know what buck is beded in the spots u located? lets say u were shinning and shinned a good buck just after dark close to some areas you scouted, how do u know wich bedding he came from?
i find obvious buck beding areas but cant tell if there mature or not.
can u tell by the size of the rub or rubs you find?
i usally find only one or two rubs in the bed area feet from the bed

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: buck bed question

Unread postby dan » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:24 am

Hard to explain but the best buck bedding areas will hold the best bucks... Young bucks often bed in stupid spots or occupy big buck beds that are not in use that day... Rub height, not diameter, and not the amount of rubs, is a sign of age class..
Once you find all or most of the buck bedding areas you should have a good idea based on usage, sign, placement, and bed size, which ones are most likely the favored bedding areas...
When you see, glass, shine, find tracks, etc, and wonder what bed to hunt it should be an educated guess based on what you saw told you. Was the time frame right when you saw him to believe his bed was nearby?

Also, lets say you narrow it down to you believe he came from one of 5 beds... I would hunt the most likely 1st unless I need to spook one of the others to get to the most likely... Generally I hunt them one after another each day till I get the buck or run out of beds he could of came from.
Also, this is where stacking comes into play... The staging areas you hunt will have human scent in them and will lesson the number of bedding areas where the buck can bed making each hunt a little better odds than the last...
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:34 am

Another thing I'll add to answer your question about how do you know which bed he came from, and which bed to hunt that day. Some beds will be used on certain winds, so depending on what the wind is doing that day, it may help you narrow down which bed he is in..
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:55 am

To tell if a big buck is using the bed check for tracks either in or around the bed. Use the 4 finger rule to determine if a track is big enough or not.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”