what times of night should i shine

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHunt

what times of night should i shine

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:37 pm

i shine all the time sometimes all night1 i generly see the most buck activty the first half hour or so of darkness then it they go scarce why is that?

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
MOBIGBUCKS

Re: what times of night should i shine

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:42 am

bighunt wrote:i shine all the time sometimes all night1 i generly see the most buck activty the first half hour or so of darkness then it they go scarce why is that?

If you are talking about specific deer, I think its because bucks feed and move in circuits. When you see them early in the evening they are relatively close to their bedding areas. As the night progresses, I believe they move on to different fields and properties before coming back to their beds. I will also add that they may have 2-3 main bedding areas spread out over a large area. I have observed deer coming back to their beds every night and some that come back to their bed every 2-3 nights. I think this has to do with the individual buck and available bedding areas that are good for him.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:49 am

i've always seen my best deer shining between 11p-2a....i think this is mostly because the bedding was back in the swamp a ways off the feilds...and when they made it out to the feilds they would walk from feild to feild like a buffet line.
When better is possible, good is never good enough
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:13 am

My biggest buck sightings have been 2AM to 4AM.. But thats not set in stone. I believe bucks change there movement and feeding times based on different factors like moon phase and cloud cover. You start to notice patterns when you shine every night that the times change and vary...
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:37 pm

I'm with Dan. 2-4AM is always the best time if allowed.
CatfishJack

Unread postby CatfishJack » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:38 pm

I never really have been a shiner, but Minnesota mandates the you can only shine until 10:00 pm.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”