Anybody glassing yet?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Anybody glassing yet?

Unread postby dan » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:45 pm

Anybody glassing yet? What you seeing?

DropTyne
500 Club

Re: Anybody glassing yet?

Unread postby DropTyne » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:08 pm

I have been doing some glassing and shining the last two weeks in the evening. I also deployed a few trail cams to start to get an idea about who's hanging where. For me personally I find the two weeks leading up to opener to be the most important time to glass, in most cases some of the patterning I have found 1-2 weeks before the season have been pretty consistant for opening weekend.

Would you agree with this? How are you using/interpereting your intel?
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:33 pm

Would you agree with this? How are you using/interpereting your intel?

I think July seems to be the best time to locate mature bucks with both glassing and shining... So finding what propertys there on is as important as developing patterns. Some of the older age class bucks you don't see in fields much, sometimes only once or twice... Wait till only two weeks before season and you may not know of a buck you might want to target.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:36 pm

I like to wait until after the 4th of July.... racks are well developed by then... cameras are hitting food sources later this week
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
jonsimoneau
500 Club

Unread postby jonsimoneau » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:56 pm

We cant shine here in Illinois, but I have been spending alot of gas money and putting miles on the truck driving country roads in deer habitat. So far...I have seen 2 bucks on public land that will probably end up being chased by me. Both of them appear to be 5x5s. And still have alot of growing to do...not to mention a really good one I jumped from a bed last weekend.
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:05 pm

I have the trail cams out. Now the crops are in and out of the ground a bit I am watching the food sources....I won't go check those cams until the last week of July then I will have a pretty good idea what is hanging around. Right now the bucks aren't sporting fully developed racks good brows and main beams so I need alittle more time to figure out who is who in my deer world.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:06 pm

big hunt here! ive been shining around were i live. Seen two smaller bucks nothing special though! pulled memory cards at my land looks like two bucks in bachlor group one might have potential but to early to tell.
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:36 pm

I, m pretty proud of my glassing so far. I scouted out a marsh this spring, found an awesome bedding area on public ground. It borders a private cropfield. I drove out to the area where I expected the buck to enter the cropfield ( beans ). And a half hour b 4 sunset he came strolling right out into the beans. It was almost to easy.He is spreading out way past his ears already. Think he, s gonna be a shooter.
Gotta thank Dan, and The Beast for the tools to put it all together

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Beason
500 Club

Unread postby Beason » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:01 pm

Speaking of glassing, I haven't started yet but what type of binocs and spotting scopes are you guys using? I think I am gonna buy some new Zen-Ray binocs this summer.
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:22 pm

I glassed a good one the other night!!! He had a split brow tine on one side and his main beams were just to the edge of his ears :D I will be trying to keep good tabs on him as the summer rolls on.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:00 am

welcome to the beast bighunt! Swampthing- i know you busted your but scouting this spring, you gotta have your name on one of em'.....I plan on getting out after the 4th of july....my private properties aren't very shine-able but i want to hop around to a few public properties and check my current spots, and look for new spots that hold big deer.
When better is possible, good is never good enough
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:27 am

Gas prices effecting anybodys glassing or shining?
76chevy
500 Club

Unread postby 76chevy » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:42 am

Yes, I will be hunting closer to home for the most part this fall

A round trip to some of my public land spots is about 180 miles at 20 miles per gallon

:shock:

dan wrote:Gas prices effecting anybodys glassing or shining?
". . . there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun." --Fred Bear
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:59 am

Soybeans are only up about 2-3 inches. I've started seein a few does out in them. It won't be long and it'll be glassin time.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:25 am

Doing a little bit of shinning and spotting. Im taking an easy yet to let them grow so I can figure out who they are. Here is a buck i filmed last night with some pretty good brows. He is on public bedding in an overlooked fenceline so i hope he sticks around. i have a pretty good idea of who he is by the looks of the brows but i could be wrong.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”