More bedding ????

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Pullintoobs
500 Club

More bedding ????

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:51 pm

I was wondering what you thought about the frequency a buck will use a certain bed. Do you think a buck will use a certain spot on a consistant basis? Say like every day, if not disturbed? If the wind stays consistant for a few days or a week or whatever.... Will he tend to bed in the same exact spot? Or will he have a few different spots that all afford the same sense of security? What are your experiences with this?

An unforseen future...Nestled somewhere in time
GRUD
500 Club

Re: More bedding ????

Unread postby GRUD » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:35 am

Depends a lot of the personality of the buck. Seems they all have differences and you cant treat them all the same.

There is a good post under all time greatest threads which talks a lot about different scenerios.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6673
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:55 am

I think it depends on how many "good" bedding areas are present in a given area. If he only feels comfortable in 1-2 spots, those are the places he will use the most.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:03 am

I think there are alot of factors that go into a buck choosing a bed. There is a reason they choose to bed where they do, it is NOT random. Saftey is number one. How many senses can a deer use to detect danger, sight, sound, or smell, all go into picking a bed. Also comfort influence this descion as well, cool beds for hot days and warm beds for cold days. Other deer around. Time of year etc. I don't believe deer actually reason, where to bed, but instincts and past experince dictate which bed they will use each particular day.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:21 am

Its going to change with each different buck... I have seen bucks that bed in the same spot daily, i have seen what appears to be random but in good spots, and I have seen bedding patterns of bucks that seem to come thru every 3 or 4 days on a loop pattern... I have noticed that the older a buck gets the more consistanjt his bedding seems to get though... But then again, the older bucks generally get the beast bedding.
Pullintoobs
500 Club

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:27 am

I found a few beds beds last season that are only about 40 yards apart on a piece of high ground that is about 100 yards long and 20 yards wide. More like a long penninsula jutting into the cats.About 30 yards of water on one side and all cattails on the rest except the where it connects to the mainland. I plan on setting up on it this coming season I think a decent buck was using those beds due to the sign that was left. (Tracks and rubs) I am having a tough time deciding on what I want to do, because if a buck is bedded in the first bed..I will never have a chance to get to the tree I need to get too..Very few trees on this piece of ground, pretty much all redbrush??? except 3 lonely trees.I have sat on the mainland and heard a deer coming through it but never in time for me to see it much less a chance for a shot, it hung up till I could not see. and I slipped out. I hesitate to to go in there without knowing which bed he is in during season because i think it is a pretty good deer. THOUGHTS?
An unforseen future...Nestled somewhere in time
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:34 pm

Pullintoobs wrote:I found a few beds beds last season that are only about 40 yards apart on a piece of high ground that is about 100 yards long and 20 yards wide. More like a long penninsula jutting into the cats.About 30 yards of water on one side and all cattails on the rest except the where it connects to the mainland. I plan on setting up on it this coming season I think a decent buck was using those beds due to the sign that was left. (Tracks and rubs) I am having a tough time deciding on what I want to do, because if a buck is bedded in the first bed..I will never have a chance to get to the tree I need to get too..Very few trees on this piece of ground, pretty much all redbrush??? except 3 lonely trees.I have sat on the mainland and heard a deer coming through it but never in time for me to see it much less a chance for a shot, it hung up till I could not see. and I slipped out. I hesitate to to go in there without knowing which bed he is in during season because i think it is a pretty good deer. THOUGHTS?

Sounds like you should get Murray's moon guide and go after him early in the morning before he comes back into his bed. Pick one of the days the deer feed later in the morning and then set up on him when you know he is bedded in there. Be prepared to hunt all day because once he gets back to his bedding area you will either have a shot or have to wait him out.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:57 pm

Sounds like you should get Murray's moon guide and go after him early in the morning before he comes back into his bed. Pick one of the days the deer feed later in the morning and then set up on him when you know he is bedded in there. Be prepared to hunt all day because once he gets back to his bedding area you will either have a shot or have to wait him out.

X2 Sounds like a morning spot.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”