Lone Wolf VS Chippewa Wedge Loc......

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

GRFox
500 Club

Lone Wolf VS Chippewa Wedge Loc......

Unread postby GRFox » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:59 am

As far as I know there is no stand that is faster and easier o set than the CWL but then again I don't know how Lone Wolf's quick connect system works and to top it off I own neither stand. So im just going off of what I have seen and heard.

How does Lone Wolfs system compare? How does it work? Any videos?

Thanks guys.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

76chevy
500 Club

Re: Lone Wolf VS Chippewa Wedge Loc......

Unread postby 76chevy » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:57 am

LW wins that battle every time, I think the biggest difference in that LW stands are just absolutely silent when you are in them

no weird squeeks or popping noises when you shift on the stand

The welded aluminum on the CW stands WILL work loose over time and wear, the cast aluminum on my LW stands will not

I think the new LW attachment system is very easy and totally silent :ugeek:
". . . there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun." --Fred Bear
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:07 am

Is the chippewa the one that has the red ball on the chain? Or Ive seen one with 2 black "pucks" on a chain. Basically they hold the chain a set distance off the tree and you slide the wedge of the stand down onto the chain. If so, I tried one and took it back. The stand was not stable at all. The LW is rock solid! Also being quiet and chains should never be used in the same sentence. If your talking about a different stand, sorry.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
76chevy
500 Club

Unread postby 76chevy » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:21 pm

Chain = Noisy!!
". . . there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun." --Fred Bear
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:16 pm

my buddy has a cwl, its faster set up and light but the chain is noisy as, well, a freaking chain.

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
WKPTodd
Facebook: Todd Pringnitz

Unread postby WKPTodd » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:03 am

The biggest problem I see with those wedge-lock stands is that the hanging system forces the stand to be at whatever angle the tree is at. On perfect tree's like in that picture, it would work great. My problem is that perfect tree's are not an option 99% of the time. We HAVE to set-up on crazy side-to-side angles in-order to have a level platform. If your platform is not level side to side, not only is it uncomfortable and dangerous; but the biggest issue is NOISE! You're torquing those stands and they will make noise. A Lone Wolf will even make a small amount of noise if you have it mounted crooked (side to side) on a tree. I blew an oportunity for a buddy I was filming many years ago on a STUD because the stand squeaked at the wrong time because I moved out on the platform to get the shot, and it was crooked and popped.

Mounting aside, you will NOT get more quiet than a Lone Wolf - PERIOD! They are the most adjustable stand on the market, which enables me to hunt from the craziest freaking trees around! Got to be in the right spot, not the right tree!
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:14 am

Some great points here. Thanks for the input guys sounds like ill be investing in a Lone Wolf....for now im going to try and be mobile in September with my little Gorilla Scout and some screw steps until I can afford a LW.

MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:15 am

WKPTodd wrote:The biggest problem I see with those wedge-lock stands is that the hanging system forces the stand to be at whatever angle the tree is at. On perfect tree's like in that picture, it would work great. My problem is that perfect tree's are not an option 99% of the time. We HAVE to set-up on crazy side-to-side angles in-order to have a level platform. If your platform is not level side to side, not only is it uncomfortable and dangerous; but the biggest issue is NOISE! You're torquing those stands and they will make noise. A Lone Wolf will even make a small amount of noise if you have it mounted crooked (side to side) on a tree. I blew an oportunity for a buddy I was filming many years ago on a STUD because the stand squeaked at the wrong time because I moved out on the platform to get the shot, and it was crooked and popped.

Mounting aside, you will NOT get more quiet than a Lone Wolf - PERIOD! They are the most adjustable stand on the market, which enables me to hunt from the craziest freaking trees around! Got to be in the right spot, not the right tree!

I agree with Todd. I have owned both andf the mounting options on different trees just arent there with the CWL stand. Still a good stand though.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:20 am

for now im going to try and be mobile in September with my little Gorilla Scout and some screw steps until I can afford a LW.

If your hunting private land and can set up a few tree's in staging zones in the spring, then screw in steps would be fine. However if your going to slip in on a buck "beast style" your better off investing in LW sticks in my opinion. WAY to much movement screwing in steps when your that close to a bedded buck. If you had enough money for one or the other and your trying to slip in, Id buy the sticks. If you are hunting pre set up tree's, go with the stand first.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”