Anyone shoot a buck they had sheds from?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

UPbowhunter
Facebook: todd freeman

Anyone shoot a buck they had sheds from?

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:19 pm

One of my biggest feats that I want to accomplish is shooting a buck I have sheds from. Or even a trail cam pic of. Now I know its not beastly to run trail cams, or to actually go shed hunting in the spring when you should be looking for beds but, I really enjoy finding sheds, and want to finish the cycle with killing one I have sheds from. I had a 3 1/2 year old come into my set and right under my stand on the 4th on November last year. While shedding in the peice 500 yards away I found both sides and knew right away it was the buck I let walk. He would be an awesome trophy to me this fall as a 4 yr old. Post pics if you have done the impossible, please.

Go Go Epic Stuff, Seek Wilderness
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Anyone shoot a buck they had sheds from?

Unread postby dan » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:25 pm

I found this shed while scouting right in a big buck bed. The next November I shot the buck ( 180's ) in that same bed.
The whole story can be read in my blog

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:31 pm

This story goes way back to the late 1980's. Back in a time when a 150 inch buck was considered huge. I was hunting in an area where "brown its down" was the attitude and a time frame when deer were considered food. You rarely seen 2 1/2 year old bucks. This buck grew a 9 point spindly rack as a 1 1/2 year old buck. I found one side while tracking a different deer during hunting season. I recognized it imeadiatly from seeing the buck during the hunting season prior. That year as a 2 1/2 he had a rack that would be close to P&Y. I was unable to get more than a few sightinging of him that year. The next spring I went to the buck bedding area where I found the 1st shed and there layed one of his 2 sheds from his 2 year rack. Never found the other side of the 1 or 2 year old racks. Just had one of each.
When he turned 3 1/2 he made a major jump to a 140's class animal. I started getting really serious about hunting for him and had many unsuccessful run ins with him. I did take a shot and made a bad hit on him at 3 1/2. The arrow took a bad flight and caught him in the hind quarters...
After that season I really put my mind to killing that buck and that was a turning point in my hunting career as I scouted very hard and started looking very close at the big buck bedding areas. I found both of his sheds that spring both in the same bedding area that I found the previous two. I had them ounted on a plaque. I found most of his bedding areas and really learned them inside out. That fall I was very confident.
I had several run ins with him again during the early season and the rut but had a hard time sealing the deal.
Gun season came and I had a simple plan, stalk into every one of his buck bedding areas till I found him and shoot him.
On Thanksgiving morning the wind was right to sneak into a couple that I had not yet checked. One was a small thick spot with redbrush surrounded by an overgrown field. I new if he was there and I stepped into the redbrush he would simply run out the other side. So I got up in a high spot and threw a large rock at the top of an old junk car that was in the middle of the bedding area.
The large buck rose from his bed and sprinted out of the brush heading across the open grass. In the excitment I quickly started shooting and could see the slugs missing in the sparse snow and dirt, I told my self to concentrate and squeezed off the last round in the gun.
The buck never lost a stride and just kept bounding out of sight. I reloaded and got on the trail to follow up, I new I missed, but always followed up on my shots. I was really hoping to find the buck farther down his tracks and get another shot. When I got to the point where I took the last shot there was a little speck of blood on the snow. I looked up and could see lots of blood sprayed all over the snow.
I jogged up the trail to where I last saw the buck and there he lay, the last shot was true. Scored in the 160's

muddy

Unread postby muddy » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:36 pm

I've been very fortunate to have done this with 3 bucks.

Oddly enough when my twin girls were born I hunted only 4 days and shot 2 nice bucks, I have pictures of one and sheds of the other.

Gun
Bow - I found the shed the spring after I shot him.

Bow - Year before both of these I shot a nice buck that shrunk when I found him, low and behold I had a shed off him as a 3 year old.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:32 pm

I have found 2 small fork antlers on different properties and years apart. They were way to small to tell what their second year rack would be. I dont really know many people that find sheds.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:57 pm

A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
UPbowhunter
Facebook: todd freeman

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:02 pm

Very nice guys keep them coming.
Go Go Epic Stuff, Seek Wilderness
Liberty-Hunt
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liberty.hunt.188

Unread postby Liberty-Hunt » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:25 am

UPbowhunter wrote:Very nice guys keep them coming.

X2
"Huntingly",
L-H

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!
WKPTodd
Facebook: Todd Pringnitz

Unread postby WKPTodd » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:05 am

There is nothing like killing a buck that you have sheds for. I have been lucky to have sheds to a couple of mine, but for the first time in my hunting life I'm actually hunting the same ground now for several years. Hopefully I'll have the sheds to most of the bucks I'll get a crack at this fall.
Stuart
500 Club

Unread postby Stuart » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:32 am

Really good story Dan, never heard that one before. :D
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:13 am

Stuart wrote:Really good story Dan, never heard that one before. :D

Here is another part of that story... Back then not many people shot 160's bucks. A lot of people came over to see it. A friend of mine that I hunted ons property brought a guy over to meet me and see that buck. The Guys name was Andrae D'Aquisto, he had just started a new stand company sand casting treestands and was selling them out of his garage. Thats when and why we met.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”