Too late to hang near a buck bed??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Too late to hang near a buck bed??

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:54 am

So guys i'm looking for some good honest input....Last fall i was getting good pics of some 2.5's and 3.5's on my parents 20 acres. Many of the pics were taken on a small oak flat 30-60 minutes after dark. I knew they were probably bedding to the east on an old couple's 15 acres and heading onto ours after dark, i have spooked them here in the past. So about a month ago I walked over to the couples house and met the old man outside while he was working on his Ford Model-T (pretty sweet!)... We got to talking about the car and i could tell he was excited that he had someone to share it with. I asked him if he would mind if i walked around on his property and looked for sheds and deer beds...he said he didn't mind at all and i could scout or hunt it whenever i want!! I was like jackpot :D So the first thing i did was walk our property line on his side and look for the suspected staging area where they would come onto our property. It only took a few minutes and i found about 5 rubs within 15 yards of each other, just across the property line.. It was obvious the deer would stage here during a W/NW wind because his trail split to keep the wind in his face. So i backtracked the trail and found a couple more rubs leading right towards a small group of pines. _note this 15 acres is mostly rolling hills of tall grass and a few big clusters of trees_. In the pines, one large tree had fallen over and there was a beautiful bed just covered in white hair, good sized too. The deer would lay and face east watching a different neighbor who often has kids playing outside, with the W/NW wind coming from our way blowing at his back. The deer cannot see the strip of trees(80 yards away) which make up the property line from its bed because he is in just enough of a dip. I found one good tree in this strip where if i get high enough, i could watch the trees with binocs, and it would be slightly south of his trail giving him the false sense of security. My only problem is this tree is very big around and has lots of vines and dead trees growing aganst it. Also, i would need about 5 or 6 sticks to get where i want to be. So i was thinking about putting up some big game sticks and a lock on so i could get in quiet and wouldn't have to fight the large diameter of the tree. One good thing is that the stand would really dissappear on the tree because of the large limbs.
So what do you guys think, too late to hang a permanent stand 80 yards from a bed?? How would you approach this spot. I should mention that i don't want to do any more trimming on this guys land if i dont have to. I have many other spots to hunt so i don't worry too much about burning it out, but i would love to kill one of those wild rose beasts that have eluded me since childhood!

When better is possible, good is never good enough
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Re: Too late to hang near a buck bed??

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:00 pm

Sounds like a good spot.....hang a stand tonight or tomorrow. You already left scent all over by going in month ago to scout that was the time to hang a stand then?

Theft isn't a problem I assume? I'd do it sooner than later, wait for a rain if you could and wouldn't go near the bed.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:20 pm

I was planning on getting it done this weekend when i was out there for fathers day....my problem is i'm spoiled at work and i was waiting for the sticks to come in and buy them with my discount but they haven't showed yet!...otherwise i will have to yank them off another stand and just replace them later. sunday looks like scattered storms and lots of rain next week, looks like that will have to be the day
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:59 pm

If you can't hang right when you hunt, get it hung now. Just before a rain would be good...
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:21 pm

I also say hang it now, sounds like a great spot. If you think about it even hanging stands in July gives the area plenty of time to cool down.
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:45 pm

Most of the properties that I hunt I can not access till Spetember. Now I've already cut the lanes but I routinely make the sets in early September just before a rain and have no issues come November when I hunt them.

You can use the lone wolf sticks just probably need the extension straps.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:50 pm

my plan is to not even think about hunting this spot until i see action on the cams again right after dark.....the bucks would always seem to come from that bed(at least that direction) go down and hit my water hole and end up on the oak flat....last year with all the rain i think it pushed alot of deer onto the higher ground by us...wish i had pics of the other deer but they are on my dads computer. Heres one of them on a later night in sept....never heard of anyone tagging him, i figured he's a 2.5.

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:54 pm

That should be a real nice buck this fall. Put a little more mass on him and he will be a dandy.
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:21 pm

Sounds to me like you hit a real jackpot!!! Get in there and get that stand hung asap.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:34 am

Wrinkleneck wrote:Sounds to me like you hit a real jackpot!!! Get in there and get that stand hung asap.

yeah, the more i think about this spot, the more sense it makes....my dad is the typical weekend warrior and he has been hunting this property the same way for 15 years, so its easy to see how they've got us patterned, i've tried to influence the ways of the beast but it seems he is happy just to do his own thing and if its meant to be it will happen :roll: but he didn't argue when i explained why everything looked as it did! This is going to be fun ambushing that staging area on a property the deer think isn't being hunted :twisted:
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:27 pm

got the stand hung today, turned out better than expected!! Trimmed a couple branches and earned a few good scratches, now just have to wait til killin time!
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:54 pm

Nice! When you got up in the stand and looked towards the bed that was 80 yards away, did it look good? You aren't too high that the buck will see you?
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:50 am

xpauliber wrote:Nice! When you got up in the stand and looked towards the bed that was 80 yards away, did it look good? You aren't too high that the buck will see you?

yeah that was the best part....this oak tree is about as big as they come, about 7' off the ground it splits into 2 trunks, one grows straight up and one grows towards the bed....that second trunk conceals my entire climb as well as stepping onto my stand, and once i'm in the stand, i can lean to the left and watch the edge of the group of tree's he's in, who knows maybe with the foilage down later i will be able to see him with my 10x42's!? I also trimmed a couple small branches so i can cover a few trails or see if he leaves his bed and moves south
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:12 am

Nice deer! Good luck to you.

I would say go ahead and hang your set now like the others have said.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:37 pm

Hunting that 15 acres that has not been hunted in many yrs will be killer :D
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”