Hunting in September?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

kenn1320
500 Club

Hunting in September?

Unread postby kenn1320 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:59 am

OK Beasts, I drew a KS archery tag this year. I have hunted these farms a few times during the rut, but do not know where they are bedding. Ive seen a nice buck or two, but have not had any success. I was hoping to get out there this spring and scout Beast style, but a family vacation meant I would not have time/money for KS. Several of the farms I hunt give permission to some locals that hunt. I'm thinking they pressure the deer all season, then its tough hunting when I get there. Its the rut when I show up, yet they are not there hunting then. They are either getting their deer early, have other spots that are better for the rut, or are just not that into hunting. I noticed they have a muzzle loader season the first part of September, then their archery season starts Sept 19. It got me thinking, why not head out there in September and see whats going on? I was thinking long range scouting via spotting scope/binos to locate a decent buck and then set up on him via his route to/from the food source. They shouldn't be pressured that time of year and should be somewhat predictable? "IF" I could swing a second hunt during the rut, that would be great, but not likely. I have basically 1 hunt to go out there for 7 days or so.
What would you guys do?

"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
headgear
500 Club

Re: Hunting in September?

Unread postby headgear » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:26 am

Hard to say without knowing the area or property but it sounds like a solid plan. Can you get some aerial and topo maps of the farms? With all the great minds on this site we could narrow down the potential buck bedding locations pretty fast. I would also interrogate the farmer, he should have a pretty good idea about the sept buck activity.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:45 am

I have done very well in early September archery hunting in Wisconsin... My biggest archery bucks were shot in early season. BUT... They were shot in there staging areas and I new the bedding areas intimatly. Should be pretty hot in Kansas in September.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:42 am

Wait and hunt the rut if you do not know where the bedding areas are. I bowhunt KS all of the time, and there is little mature buck movement during daylight hours. You have to be on them to kill them early.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”