hunting beast buck bed cam?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
kenn1320
500 Club

Re: hunting beast buck bed cam?

Unread postby kenn1320 » Mon May 30, 2011 2:36 am

Those pics will be very revealing, cant wait to see them.........

"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Mon May 30, 2011 7:12 am

magicman54494 wrote:Klemz, I can't wait to see the pics!

X2!
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Gardner Swamp
500 Club

Unread postby Gardner Swamp » Mon May 30, 2011 8:06 am

Great stuff Klemz!!
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Mon May 30, 2011 9:39 am

Thanks, I'm pretty excited about it!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon May 30, 2011 11:36 am

Looking forward to your results Klem... I hope the batteries last that long!
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Mon May 30, 2011 1:25 pm

Very cool, cant wait.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:46 am

magicman54494 wrote:Klemz, I can't wait to see the pics!

x2, great idea hope the battery last, and you put a big enough memmory card in. 8-)
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:12 am

Great work Klemz, can't wait to see the pics.
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:25 am

Klemz, you are the man. This is going to be a neat experiment.
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:51 am

This will be so cool!! Can't wait to see the pictures.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:54 am

Awesome idea Klemz, and I cant wait to see the results as well!

I know its a little late now, but I think I personally wouldve kept the camera set to take pictures of motion, but just set the delay between photos to an hour or so.. That way if he doesnt use the bed for a week or two, you arent getting a whole pile of pictures of nothing.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:15 am

I will be interested how many different deer rotate into this bed during this time period you are capturing. Especially now during the bachelor group phase.
In the past I have kicked up different bucks out of a single bed on different days.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:06 am

Not to be the Debbie downer here on this subject....... but I got wondering, do those Reconyk make any sort of audible click when they go off ? I just hope the buck doesn't hear it if they do.. or when it advances the camera sometimes trail cams make a noise... But I don't have a Reconyk cam, I wish I did, heard lots of great stuff about them..... Just don't know if they make any sort of noise when they take a pic.... Hopefully it's up high enough that the deer won't hear it.....
It's a great idea though.... can't wait to see the results down the road....

I've also heard those camera's can go almost a year on one set of batteries and taking a great amount of pics.... so hopefully, battery life is a non issue.....
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:12 pm

cornfedkiller wrote:Awesome idea Klemz, and I cant wait to see the results as well!

I know its a little late now, but I think I personally wouldve kept the camera set to take pictures of motion, but just set the delay between photos to an hour or so.. That way if he doesnt use the bed for a week or two, you arent ge
tting a whole pile of pictures of nothing.

Great minds think alike cornfed, that was my first thought too. But my reconyx only programs a max of five minutes quiet time before it arms for another picture. I flipped a coin and decided on the time lapse option. I really dont know how long the batteries will last, but I agree battery life is the weak link here. I know for a fact I can get over 13,000 pics on a set of batteries because i've done that. But that was all in a three day period ( rapid fire pics of me building our deck ). I've also had it out in the woods for four months and still had 90% battery left (only four hundred pics though).
Realistically, I expect a minimum of three months. I'm using a 4GB card which can handle at least 13,000 pics(based on my deck project). I'm asking the camera to take about 3,800 pictures over 7 months. Seems doable. we'll just wait and see.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:26 pm

KLEMZ wrote:Great minds think alike cornfed, that was my first thought too. But my reconyx only programs a max of five minutes quiet time before it arms for another picture. I flipped a coin and decided on the time lapse option.

Dang! I didnt know that, and I would say in your situation, you made the right choice. My cams are have a programmable delay out to an hour (Im pretty sure?), so I figured the Reconyx probably had something similar, but I guess you will have to make due with what the cam give you. At least it has invisible flash - that part will be critical with a camera that intrusive.

KLEMZ wrote:I really dont know how long the batteries will last, but I agree battery life is the weak link here. I know for a fact I can get over 13,000 pics on a set of batteries because i've done that. But that was all in a three day period ( rapid fire pics of me building our deck ). I've also had it out in the woods for four months and still had 90% battery left (only four hundred pics though).
Realistically, I expect a minimum of three months. I'm using a 4GB card which can handle at least 13,000 pics(based on my deck project). I'm asking the camera to take about 3,800 pictures over 7 months. Seems doable. we'll just wait and see.

I didnt do the math, but the 3800 pics is actually less photos than I thought it was going to have to take. My guess is that your batteries should be fine..and even if they arent, they will at least last for most of that time, meaning you will still get pictures of the majority of the summer and fall. Ive left my bushnell out for a month and it took about 2000 pics, and it still had like 90% battery - and the the battery life on the Reconyx is supposed to be as good if not longer...

When I posted that suggestion before, I honestly wasnt even worried about the battery life..I was thinking more for your convenience of not having to look through a couple hundred pictures of nothing while a buck isnt there..(which I guess would also translate to less pictures = more battery savings).

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”