hunting beast buck bed cam?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: hunting beast buck bed cam?

Unread postby dan » Thu May 26, 2011 7:50 am

A guy could set up a camera in a rain storm too... Wouldn't be fun, but if the rain is heavy enough it could wash your scent away.

magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Thu May 26, 2011 8:11 am

muddy wrote: No offense meant, just my opinion/speculation.

No offense taken. You may be right. It would be fun finding out! If I had the money and know how I'd burn one of my buck beds to find out. I was even thinking about the DNR managed Sandhill wildlife area. That would be close to a public type situation and less likely to be messed with by thieves. I actually have one spot that I just can't figure out how to hunt that probably never sees another hunter that would be a great place for a live broadcast cam.

This is the type of setup that I was thinking about.
http://www.raptorresource.org/falcon_cams/index.html

There were 31000 viewers watching when I checked it a few minutes ago. A cam setup could bring lots of new people to this site daily!
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Thu May 26, 2011 9:24 am

dan wrote:A guy could set up a camera in a rain storm too... Wouldn't be fun, but if the rain is heavy enough it could wash your scent away.

The problem with that is cameras dont' like rain one bit. Though I've set mine up in the truck and walked them out to the location and set them up before. Problem being I have a couple dozen pictures getting taken while walking out, better than a moisture damaged camera.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Thu May 26, 2011 10:41 am

Where I think this idea would work is if a guy did NOT do it in his hunting area, but rather in a park or non-hunting area where he would not be screwing up a good bed and could target the best buck beds without worry of ruining the falls hunt

My intentions would not be to hunt with this information Dan, but rather a learning tool for those who are watching. Also just cause the beast promotes public land hunting, doesnt mean the camera would need to be set up on public land. I think public land is asking for trouble, somebody will find/steal it.

The problem with that is cameras dont' like rain one bit. Though I've set mine up in the truck and walked them out to the location and set them up before. Problem being I have a couple dozen pictures getting taken while walking out, better than a moisture damaged camera.
dan wrote:A guy could set up a camera in a rain storm too... Wouldn't be fun, but if the rain is heavy enough it could wash your scent away.

Im not talking about a typical trail camera, but rather a security survaliance style cam. You can record a months worth of activity and then play it back as if its live. So its not real time, but close enough for all viewers to learn something. Heck Randy Stougher(spelling) puts cameras right down in the hole with animals and they tolerate it. Its definitely doable, just a matter of how and at what cost?

Ken
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu May 26, 2011 5:31 pm

kenn1320 wrote:... Im not talking about a typical trail camera, but rather a security survaliance style cam...

Exactly, these little bullet cams are made for the outdoors and can usually be submersed several feet. Sometimes 80'-100' (often used as fish cams). They are tough and reliable. Most of the best ones have the Sony 1/3" super HAD Exview chip.

kenn1320 wrote:...You can record a months worth of activity and then play it back as if its live. So its not real time, but close enough for all viewers to learn something. Heck Randy Stougher(spelling) puts cameras right down in the hole with animals and they tolerate it. Its definitely doable, just a matter of how and at what cost?

Ken

Learning would be cool, but I think just seeing a mature buck in his bed would bring in a lot of viewers. I think that was Magic's main focus?

Ken, I don't think there any low voltage battery powered recorders of that type out there or any weather proof models.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri May 27, 2011 2:07 am

If this setup was actually done, the most interesting thing I would like to watch is, the moonphase.... The days the deer are suppose to come back to their beds late.... This buck bed camera would show this to be true, or not so much..... I think it would hold to be true, and show the buck getting back late to his bed those certain mornings....
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Fri May 27, 2011 2:28 am

dreaming bucks wrote:If this setup was actually done, the most interesting thing I would like to watch is, the moonphase.... The days the deer are suppose to come back to their beds late.... This buck bed camera would show this to be true, or not so much..... I think it would hold to be true, and show the buck getting back late to his bed those certain mornings....

Great point!
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Sat May 28, 2011 1:02 am

I would really like to see how a buck uses his eyes during the rut. I have seen smaller bucks come and bed down in saddles to observe doe movement. I saw a really nice 2.5 year old 8-9 point bed down right below my tree in a pinch point this year(still think about wether I should have killed him, but let him walk). He laid there for a bit then just jumped up and started walking fast. I looked out and he was trotting after some does. He used his visual senses to make that move. We don't about a bucks visual senses enough in my opinion.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat May 28, 2011 4:23 am

virginiashadow wrote:I would really like to see how a buck uses his eyes during the rut. I have seen smaller bucks come and bed down in saddles to observe doe movement. I saw a really nice 2.5 year old 8-9 point bed down right below my tree in a pinch point this year(still think about wether I should have killed him, but let him walk). He laid there for a bit then just jumped up and started walking fast. I looked out and he was trotting after some does. He used his visual senses to make that move. We don't about a bucks visual senses enough in my opinion.

I have seen bucks do the same thing Virgina... Sometimes bedding where there is not even a buck bed just a good spot to either watch or smell a funnel or doe bedding area.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sat May 28, 2011 12:43 pm

dan wrote:
virginiashadow wrote:I would really like to see how a buck uses his eyes during the rut. I have seen smaller bucks come and bed down in saddles to observe doe movement. I saw a really nice 2.5 year old 8-9 point bed down right below my tree in a pinch point this year(still think about wether I should have killed him, but let him walk). He laid there for a bit then just jumped up and started walking fast. I looked out and he was trotting after some does. He used his visual senses to make that move. We don't about a bucks visual senses enough in my opinion.

I have seen bucks do the same thing Virgina... Sometimes bedding where there is not even a buck bed just a good spot to either watch or smell a funnel or doe bedding area.

I've seen this as well in the north woods. They will lay down on a high spot in the wide open hardwoods and watch. My guess is they are tired and just resting. I don't believe they decided to go to that spot on purpose to find does.
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Sat May 28, 2011 2:35 pm

magicman54494 wrote:
dan wrote:

I've seen this as well in the north woods. They will lay down on a high spot in the wide open hardwoods and watch. My guess is they are tired and just resting. I don't believe they decided to go to that spot on purpose to find does.

The area I was hunting this year is flanked by multiple doe bedding spots over only 3-4 acres. I honesty think that 2.5 year old buck that came and laid down below my treestand this year was actively using it as a technique to find does. The area I was hunting only has decent hills on one side, however the wind was not good to have does bed on those hills. So, that buck set up shop watching the lower hills as the does moved through about 930am.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sat May 28, 2011 3:39 pm

What about a guy doing it in a urban area that can't be hunted just for the of it?? That way you aint messing up one of your prime honeyholes??
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sun May 29, 2011 5:38 am

Kinda a tangent - but a friend had the take a pic and send it 2 your email camera... it was pretty cool when it worked! They don't work worth crap in the hills... but you should have seen the pics being fired when it got close to Nov... activity spiked off the charts on a few days. The camera did record date, time, moon, etc

Almost is unfair/ethical though seeing you knew a buck just walked through a certain area and could be out hunting in the same general vicinity within 15min!
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Mon May 30, 2011 2:12 am

magicman54494 wrote:
muddy wrote:I personally think that once you bump a buck from his bed and then set a camera up on it he will likely change locations. The only way I think you could get this to work is to 1)know that specific bucks bedding locations 2)get in and set the cameras up on a rainy day so your scent is kept way minimum 3)wind would also have to be perfect.

To me it's not worth it to potentially bump a shooter off my property just to get pictures of him sleeping.

Just an opinion but I'd say more work/hassle with very limited upside.

I think your missing the point. It would be a great learning tool and hopefully help promote " the beast". I never intended this to be a tool for havesting a buck. It would be a wealth of info about bedding habits. We could see how wind direction, speed, weather etc. effects his use of that bed. It would be neat to see how long it would take him to start using the bed again after being bumped. After a set time the buck could be tested by repeated bumping to see how much he would take before relocating. We could see how many different deer use a specific bed. I would also like to see how the rut affects his use of his primary bed. I disagree that setting up a camera on a well established bed would drive the deer away. Constantly returning probably would. If you think about it the whole basis of Dan's hunting philosophy is based on hunting a bucks bed. A bed cam would be a perfect fit IMO.

I agree with Magic on this one. What a great learning tool that could be. So, with that in mind I started a little buck bedding research project. Back in early April I located a well used bed buried in a hard to access willow swamp area. I believe it is one of the preferred beds of a 4 finger track buck ( based on the outsized tacks,the large single bed well matted with hair on top and ground in,the solitary location at the base of a large swamp pine tree in a sea of willows and muck.
Fast forward six weeks. Reading this thread got me to thinking. Quite honestly I wasnt planning to hunt this bed at this point because I was intimidated by how hard I would have to work just to get set up and I have never taken a buck Beast style. I was gonna focus on some easier sets that I have going.
But after reading the posts on this thread I waded back to the buck bed (my second visit) with my trail camera in my pack. I have a reconyx RC 60 black flash (no noise no flash) I Decided the only way to set the camera without tipping the buck off was to climb the tree he was bedded under and aim it straight down. There are no other possible trees anyways. I set it 15 feet above his head. Also, I set the camera for time lapse mode. It is taking one picture per hour (4AM-9PM).In other words,from pre dawn to after dark it will check to see if anyone is home once every hour! It will not take pictures based on motion. I did it this way to maximize battery life. I think (hope) this will last thru December when I plan to pick it up.
By the way,I did not see any fresh sign that he had bedded there since I was there six weeks earlier.ImageImageImageImage
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Mon May 30, 2011 2:29 am

Klemz, I can't wait to see the pics!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”