world record?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tim
500 Club

Re: world record?

Unread postby tim » Tue May 24, 2011 3:01 am

average joes always do get the world record. but some of those average joes arent so average ill bet if you get to know em. i know people that have monsters all over their walls and dont enter em. i know of a guy that has 200" deer that he hasnt entered into the books he has so many monsters its rediculous to each their own. i think its great when people dont enter em to be honest that means to me its just not that important to them for the fame.

tenpoint

Unread postby tenpoint » Wed May 25, 2011 11:54 pm

I agree with you Tim, that most trophies are killed by average joe hunters. But it is the so called pros like the Druy brothers and the Lekoskys that promote deer farming and hording (and that is what it is) which is making it harder for average joe hunters to enjoy deer hunting. Imagine the Drury brothers buying 3 to 4 hundred acres next to some public land you hunt! how many deer do you think you would see once they start putting in 100 acres of food plots. And it has happened! just ask the people what happened to the hunting when the Druries bought land by Tigerton wi. Remember the 2009 gun season in wisconsin, when most hunters were seeing nothing, I was in a local gas station waiting for an oil change, when me and others waiting got talking how bad the deer season was and that most of us there had terrible luck. One man spoke up and said he saw 27 deer opening weekend! we all kind of looked at him, and he then said! I better see deer, I spent 4 thousand dollars on food plots! If looks could kill, he would have been a dead man! I bet the people who hunted around his property saw squat! Turning into a rich mans sport, and it sucks!
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Thu May 26, 2011 12:49 am

tenpoint wrote:I agree with you Tim, that most trophies are killed by average joe hunters. But it is the so called pros like the Druy brothers and the Lekoskys that promote deer farming and hording (and that is what it is) which is making it harder for average joe hunters to enjoy deer hunting. Imagine the Drury brothers buying 3 to 4 hundred acres next to some public land you hunt! how many deer do you think you would see once they start putting in 100 acres of food plots. And it has happened! just ask the people what happened to the hunting when the Druries bought land by Tigerton wi. Remember the 2009 gun season in wisconsin, when most hunters were seeing nothing, I was in a local gas station waiting for an oil change, when me and others waiting got talking how bad the deer season was and that most of us there had terrible luck. One man spoke up and said he saw 27 deer opening weekend! we all kind of looked at him, and he then said! I better see deer, I spent 4 thousand dollars on food plots! If looks could kill, he would have been a dead man! I bet the people who hunted around his property saw squat! Turning into a rich mans sport, and it sucks!

I Agree!! Why do you think the Drury's and Lakosky's have all these celebrities hunting their farms?? Because these celebrities are buying adjoining farms which get managed for them. In exchange, these celebrities are allowed to hunt on Drury or Lakosky land. And Vice Versa!! It's Deer Hunting, not Deer Farming!! It's way out of control and getting worse!!
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu May 26, 2011 5:01 am

To each there own... If they can afford big farms and food plots more power to them if thats how they want to hunt...
I think your off base on the assumption that the hunting is worse next door to well managed deer farms too... Every farm that was well managed that I ever hunted next to had some great spill off. Maybe the 1st couple years of managment the deer hoard there, but the population grows and deer don't know property lines. I would much rather hunt a public property butting up against the Drurys farm than next to a group of weekend warriors that shoot everything...
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu May 26, 2011 7:10 am

dan wrote:To each there own... If they can afford big farms and food plots more power to them if thats how they want to hunt...
I think your off base on the assumption that the hunting is worse next door to well managed deer farms too... Every farm that was well managed that I ever hunted next to had some great spill off. Maybe the 1st couple years of managment the deer hoard there, but the population grows and deer don't know property lines. I would much rather hunt a public property butting up against the Drurys farm than next to a group of weekend warriors that shoot everything...

I agree 100%. A couple years ago I made a note that Hank Parker has well managed property next to public land for just that reason. If I ever do a hunt down there I will take a look at that public land. As far as the big farms and food plots go, I feel the same also. As long as it's not some high fenced deer farm I say more power to them. Dose that mean I think they are highly skilled big buck hunters? No. I think they are good deer hunters and average land managers, but nothing more. Their hunting skills don't compare to many of the people on this forum.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu May 26, 2011 7:55 am

Most of the time a big part of the managment is not shooting young bucks which increases the buck population... Ive studied enough propertys to know that a property can only hold as many big bucks as it has big buck bedding areas. So, when you have to many bucks some have to spill over onto the adjacent lands...
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Thu May 26, 2011 8:33 am

im not against food plots but i would have to say also that when you watch deer hunting videos and deer after deer is shot over food plots i wouldnt say this is exactly rocket science. do i hunt over food sources, sometimes , do i like to depends on the situation/setup/time of year etc... but i prefer to get in the woods and figure em out . thats the beauty of hunting we all get to hunt em the way we want to. would i have a monster farm with more food plots if i could afford them, sure i would. would i care what others thought, no. im hunting for my own personal reasons/satisfaction. seems all my neighbors have huge fields of crops they just cant afford to leave em standing all year for the deer, i try to work with what i got. i let my amish neighbors use my 8 acres of open land every year to plant crops free of charge, trying to be neighborly and plus i got food for my deer . i cant be up there all the time to plant crops nor do i have the machinery and this works ok for me.
willy11674

Unread postby willy11674 » Thu May 26, 2011 11:50 am

tenpoint wrote:I agree with you Tim, that most trophies are killed by average joe hunters. But it is the so called pros like the Druy brothers and the Lekoskys that promote deer farming and hording (and that is what it is) which is making it harder for average joe hunters to enjoy deer hunting. Imagine the Drury brothers buying 3 to 4 hundred acres next to some public land you hunt! how many deer do you think you would see once they start putting in 100 acres of food plots. And it has happened! just ask the people what happened to the hunting when the Druries bought land by Tigerton wi. Remember the 2009 gun season in wisconsin, when most hunters were seeing nothing, I was in a local gas station waiting for an oil change, when me and others waiting got talking how bad the deer season was and that most of us there had terrible luck. One man spoke up and said he saw 27 deer opening weekend! we all kind of looked at him, and he then said! I better see deer, I spent 4 thousand dollars on food plots! If looks could kill, he would have been a dead man! I bet the people who hunted around his property saw squat! Turning into a rich mans sport, and it sucks!

Where did the Druries buy land in Tigerton? When? I hunt near Tigerton and was hoping against hope that the word would not get out on the kind of deer we have their. Have they put it on their show yet? man, this could be buffalo county all over again :cry:
tenpoint

Unread postby tenpoint » Thu May 26, 2011 11:22 pm

There are some very good replies to the discussion on food plots, and some valid points. But I believe the so called industry is so worried about the bottom line and making money, that they are forgetting most hunters cant afford the type of hunting they premote. What a turn off for any young hunter trying to get into the sport to find out after watching most deer hunting videos you need to spend all kinds of money on food plots to be successfull. There are not a lot of videos out there that premote public land hunting and how to be successfull. I dont think that most young hunters realize that most of these videos are for entertainment, and when they see the so called expert sitting over a food plot trying to decide which of the dozen bucks standing in the field they want to take, is not reality in the hunting world for most hunters. If hunting is to survive in the future, the industry better start working with states on how to premote hunting and opening up more land for hunting access and helping to manage deer herds on public and private lands open to hunting. The industry is only premoting product and hunting for the rich. The ammount of hunters who grab a plat book, topo map, and a compass to go find places to hunt are getting fewer and fewer. And thats a shame! It is so much more gratifing, and the things you see and learn by this type of hunting is so much more than just sitting over a food plot. I am not against hunting over food plots, but we better start teaching our young hunters there are other ways to be successful with out having to spend money and need to plant or put something on the ground to hunt deer! Our future may depend on it.
JJWI

Unread postby JJWI » Sun May 29, 2011 1:23 am

tenpoint wrote:There are some very good replies to the discussion on food plots, and some valid points. But I believe the so called industry is so worried about the bottom line and making money, that they are forgetting most hunters cant afford the type of hunting they premote. What a turn off for any young hunter trying to get into the sport to find out after watching most deer hunting videos you need to spend all kinds of money on food plots to be successfull. There are not a lot of videos out there that premote public land hunting and how to be successfull. I dont think that most young hunters realize that most of these videos are for entertainment, and when they see the so called expert sitting over a food plot trying to decide which of the dozen bucks standing in the field they want to take, is not reality in the hunting world for most hunters. If hunting is to survive in the future, the industry better start working with states on how to premote hunting and opening up more land for hunting access and helping to manage deer herds on public and private lands open to hunting. The industry is only premoting product and hunting for the rich. The ammount of hunters who grab a plat book, topo map, and a compass to go find places to hunt are getting fewer and fewer. And thats a shame! It is so much more gratifing, and the things you see and learn by this type of hunting is so much more than just sitting over a food plot. I am not against hunting over food plots, but we better start teaching our young hunters there are other ways to be successful with out having to spend money and need to plant or put something on the ground to hunt deer! Our future may depend on it.

Well put! But it isn't only the new hunters that think they need everything the "pros" use to kill big bucks! Alot of the more seasoned hunters think that way too. Just because a pro uses this type of equipment, they will shoot the big animals like pros. The problem with realistic hunting, it isn't flashy and it doesn't sell. People want to see the buck coming across a clearing for a couple of minutes before the shot. People also want to hear that if you use this product, the only thing you have to worry about is picking out the biggest buck to shoot. Everyone wants instant success now days. Just my 2cents

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”