Predator Users....

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

kwaldeier
500 Club

Predator Users....

Unread postby kwaldeier » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:05 am

I think i finally have enough money saved up that i can buy some predator camo clothing. I am thinking about getting the Unlined jacket and the lined bibs for the late season. I am just not sure of the color. I was pretty set on Fall Gray but thinking now i am not %100. I have one property that is for sure %90 tree stand hunting that Fall Gray would work very well...I have seen a few deer but nothing big. The thing i have been thinking about and the problem is the other property. It is about %60 Pine trees and has a lot of bucks and a few big ones. I was thinking that if i wore the Fall Gray in the pines that i would stick out like a sore thumb.(A green back ground with a gray dot is obvious). Since it is %60 pines i will obviously have to be on the ground,instead of in a stand. Any options about color selection would be helpful!

BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Re: Predator Users....

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:31 am

I am in the same situation as you and am in the market for predator camo too (I started a thread under the equipment section) anyhow I decided I will be going with the fall grey and when hunting BIG OAKS and pines I will just use the same, darker camo, I have been using for the last couple years. It it too dark for hunting small, open trees but in the big thick stuff it should still be fine.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:15 pm

I use both the Fall Grey and Brown Deception. I have had equal and excellent results with both patterns. Personally, I would go with Brown Deception when looking for a bit more diverse pattern. JMO
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:16 am

Kwald, Checkout the post Backwoods is refering to. Cornfed posted some good info on how deer see. Becareful with all the marketing on camo patterns, sometimes they would rather have it look good to the consumer, without regards to how effective it actually is. That being said, I think Predator is one of the better ones. Here is a link, check out the video: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6118
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:55 am

Fall grey. Deer don't see in color anyway.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:50 am

I went after brown deception, I also have green deception. I think all of their patterns are very good.
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:40 am

DropTyne wrote:I went after brown deception, I also have green deception. I think all of their patterns are very good.

I really like the brown deception too! Looking at a Fleece jacket, pants, beanie, baseball cap and jersey gloves to sart with for this season!
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:59 am

I would stick with the fall gray or brown deception. It won't matter what you look like as long as the deer don't think you are a human about the fling a razor sharp broadhead at them. Like Black Squirrel said forget the marketing and what your eyes might be telling you, you want a pattern that will break up your outline and predator is that pattern.

If you are a little nervous about the gray go brown, it is the camo/color the deer use and they are pretty good about blending in.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:46 am

muddy wrote:Fall grey. Deer don't see in color anyway.

Deer do see some color such as Blue and Yellow. I would imagine they also see green since it is a combination of those two colors, but to what degree I'm not sure. For the most part I think their lives are based on black and white (mostly shades of grey).

For an all purpose camo Brown Deception or maybe Evolution would be good and Green Deception wood be their best for pines IMHO. If it were me though, I would get the Fall Grey and a pair of dark green sweats for the pines. I can't remember having ever been spotted while wearing both olive drab sweat pants and sweat shirt while in a pine. It works extremely well for me.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
huntinfool14
500 Club

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:18 am

i use brown deception..not a lot difference between that and fall grey.the stuff blends in awesome!

i really love the 360 gram fleece jacket and pants! there warm and quiet!
RUTIN
Facebook: Zach Taylor

Unread postby RUTIN » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:31 am

I got all brown deception and green deception.... I sold all my scent lok on ebay and went with predator camo because they have the same patterns in many diffrent styles without having to try to match camo at retail stores.
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:46 am

My personal opinion is Fall Gray can not be beaten. If you take a picture of BD and FG at varying distances you will see that even though both patterns are great FG has an advantage in breaking up your outline. I guess I am just a bigger fan of the original patterns for that reason. I have Fall Brown, Fall Gray and Spring Green. I love the originals. On the flip side, good stand placement and strategic movement and it doesn't matter, but a good camo when you get spotted has saved me more than once since I went with Predator. A close second for me is ASAT. I have the First Lite stuff in ASAT and it seems to do a good job as well.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:56 pm

I am a junkie with this stuff mind you- FG...FB if you can find it....also big on Gray Wolfs Intrusion Gray Treeline...and asat and..... Anyway- got some of the new Kuiu- which appears to be my favorite camo yet
Green and growing... Or red and rotting

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”