Bowls and Wind

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

HunterBob
500 Club

Bowls and Wind

Unread postby HunterBob » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:55 am

Let me start by saying if you can refer me to the appropriate all time best tactical thread, please do!

My question is if a bedding area is at the end of a bowl, which wind is best to hunt it? The direction coming into the bowl (which would work with thermals pulling up to the bed), or the opposite way (wind coming downhill to the bed)?

Would love thoughts and experience on this.

backstraps

Re: Bowls and Wind

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:06 am

If I understand correctly….

Its almost like trying to hunt a valley…. As long as the wind is consistent either way coming into or blowing away from you should be good to get near it

The bowl itself is where the swirling will be greatest

Take into consideration of what time of daylight your wanting to hunt and calculate the thermals
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:29 am

My exp is that the wind is hardly doing what I need or expect it to do. Hes got a rock solid setup and likely has the wind in his face as well bc of kick back.

I like to hunt them in the mornings during pre-rut/rut but about mid morning the wind/thermals will be squirrely. Very low wind days may be best so it doesnt swirl. Essentially I would want a wind blowing out of the mouth of the bowl.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:14 am

When both situations make sense, it’s tough to know what is highest odds. The situation you described reminds me of bedding around openings in a thicket. Is he laying on the upwind side watching the opening? Or is he laying on the downwind side monitoring it with his nose? Both situations make sense.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”