Ground pound vs. Treestand hunts

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Colddriver

Re: Ground pound vs. Treestand hunts

Unread postby Colddriver » Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:13 am

Bow hunting I'm in a tree
Gun hunting I'm on the ground.
Just got a xbow,not sure where I'll end up with that....

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:21 am

Last 4-5 years I have been probably 70% saddle, 20% stand and 10% ground.

So far this season is an even % between the three. My new Beast stand will get used much more this year than other stands have in the past but I still love my saddles much more for back pain relief.

This is my first season with my Waldrop pac seat and see myself doing much more ground hunting in the future especially as I get older. It really simplifies things and is so much quicker to set up and leave at the end of a hunt. A great seat has been the thing I’ve been missing all these years and the Waldrop fills that void. I’m pretty excited to do more ground hunting this season in spots I always avoided due to lack of trees.
DeadHeadSpread

Unread postby DeadHeadSpread » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:44 am

Last year I was probably 70/30 saddle/ground during the regular archery season. Still had a tag in late archery season and went 90% on the ground mainly still hunting and trying to cut a big track. This year is a similar game plan for regular season except for ground hunts I’m gonna hang in my saddle at ground level, setup the same as if I were 25’ up. Will be more comfortable than sitting on a log or the ground and also will be in position to shoot all the time.
Big Tracks Matter
RatMe

Unread postby RatMe » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:11 pm

For me it’s up in a tree almost 100%.

In the special early season I’m in I’ve had two separate incidents of people ground hunting coming underneath me. Sooooo loud. I dont think most folks realize the precision and patience it takes to bow hunt successfully on the ground.

Different strokes
BRoth82
500 Club

Unread postby BRoth82 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:18 pm

Dewey wrote:Last 4-5 years I have been probably 70% saddle, 20% stand and 10% ground.

So far this season is an even % between the three. My new Beast stand will get used much more this year than other stands have in the past but I still love my saddles much more for back pain relief.

This is my first season with my Waldrop pac seat and see myself doing much more ground hunting in the future especially as I get older. It really simplifies things and is so much quicker to set up and leave at the end of a hunt. A great seat has been the thing I’ve been missing all these years and the Waldrop fills that void. I’m pretty excited to do more ground hunting this season in spots I always avoided due to lack of trees.

I've heard of those Waldrop pac seats, they look interesting, I usually just have a small tripod seat that has flat feet on it so it doesn't sink into soft dirt. But it isn't very comfortable for longer sits.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:28 pm

BRoth82 wrote:I've heard of those Waldrop pac seats, they look interesting, I usually just have a small tripod seat that has flat feet on it so it doesn't sink into soft dirt. But it isn't very comfortable for longer sits.

I am a 100% ground pounder and I have tried just about every seat out there and I use the Waldrop PAC seat. It is expensive and there is a considerable lead time but it is the most comfortable I have been on the ground. For me a back support is necessary and I don’t want to be tied to a tree for my hunts.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
BRoth82
500 Club

Unread postby BRoth82 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:56 pm

Horizontal Hunter wrote:
BRoth82 wrote:I've heard of those Waldrop pac seats, they look interesting, I usually just have a small tripod seat that has flat feet on it so it doesn't sink into soft dirt. But it isn't very comfortable for longer sits.

I am a 100% ground pounder and I have tried just about every seat out there and I use the Waldrop PAC seat. It is expensive and there is a considerable lead time but it is the most comfortable I have been on the ground. For me a back support is necessary and I don’t want to be tied to a tree for my hunts.

Bob

Sounds awesome, how heavy are they?
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:24 am

BRoth82 wrote:
Horizontal Hunter wrote:

Bob

Sounds awesome, how heavy are they?

According to their info they 5 lbs. I have a small back pack semi-permanently zip tied and strapped to mine so it isn’t easy to weigh it.

They cost as much as a treestand but they are built like a tank and worth it IMO.

https://waldroppacseat.com/
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Brad
500 Club

Unread postby Brad » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:58 am

so far this year 2 on the ground and 3 in the tree. I have seen deer every time from the tree, but so far a doe and a fawn during one sit, then a spike during each of the other two sits, all within 10 yards of me. Unfortunately I have never seen a deer while actually set up on the ground.
G-Patt
500 Club

Unread postby G-Patt » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:18 am

I hunt 90% on the ground and only 10% in a climber. Mostly because I'm lazy and hate lugging 20lbs on my back to hunt where I can find just as effective spots on the ground. It's especially quiet and stealthy if you want to sneak in and sit for that last hour of hunting after dinner. I hunt 100% public land in hill country and big woods. It's definitely a different skill set to find those spots in lieu of a tree to set up in, and you have to tolerate not knowing what's going on around you. Pros and cons, but mostly pros in my experience.
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!
MuskieHunterDave
Facebook: can suck it.

Unread postby MuskieHunterDave » Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:44 am

I'm about 50/50 as well. I prefer to be in a tree, but there are several places where it's just too thick or there are no trees. Whenever I take one of my kids out with me we sit on the ground, just because they are too young to carry a stand. Also, if I'm hunting several days in a row or multiple times per day I sometimes just run out of energy needed to carry my stand with me - I have a cheaper, heavy stand because I'm a cheap guy.
Be still and know that I am God - Psalm 46:10
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:42 am

I forgot my saddle one morning last year (doh!) so can I be one of the ground pound cool kids? I had a buck I coulda shot too, but he got the pass. He did wind me but after he coulda been dead.

I'm a terrible still hunter, I can just never get the right pace down. It's tough to find that balace between moving too fast and spooking deer and not moving enough to really cover any ground thus negating that benefit.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
BRoth82
500 Club

Unread postby BRoth82 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:01 am

elk yinzer wrote:I forgot my saddle one morning last year (doh!) so can I be one of the ground pound cool kids? I had a buck I coulda shot too, but he got the pass. He did wind me but after he coulda been dead.

I'm a terrible still hunter, I can just never get the right pace down. It's tough to find that balace between moving too fast and spooking deer and not moving enough to really cover any ground thus negating that benefit.

Welcome to the brother hood of the ground pounders... :lol: :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”