If it looks like a deer...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tsom
500 Club

If it looks like a deer...

Unread postby Tsom » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:00 am

My wife's cousin has told me a couple times now what he does when hunting on the ground and having a doe or a doe with fawns lock on to you. Usually you freeze up and have a stare down and the second you make a twitch or move your bow they bust out. He said he'll cup his hands like ears on his head and move them around or even make his hand move like a deer tail wags when they go from alert back to eating. Said he's had it work quite a bit for him where the deer settle back down and just hang around or slowly move on. I haven't had the chance to try it myself but was wondering if anyone else has tried something similar.

PK_
500 Club

Re: If it looks like a deer...

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:25 am

Lol it’s funny but I actually used to try this a lot as a kid I don’t think it ever worked. Reminds me of the drop a leaf tactic. Not saying it can’t work but I found it’s best to completely freeze in most cases.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:38 am

Might as well try cause by that point the gig is usually up. In some of the higher pressure stuff I hunt deer don’t take no chances. They see something they don’t like and poof gone not even stopping to blow.

On light pressured areas they will do the old head bob and foot stomp. For me it doesn’t matter if I’m still or not once I’ve been pegged. Their curiosity eventually gets the best of em and they will circle until they hit my sweet stench! Not good lol
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:09 am

Oh no, that would never work here. I have had young ones walk up to me within 10 feet wondering what I was *if* I didn't move. But a full grown doe, no, never, as soon as you twitch she's outa there.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
hcooper84

Unread postby hcooper84 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:19 am

I have used the hand wag to some degree of success on younger deer. I have not had the opportunity to try it with a mature deer.
Tsom
500 Club

Unread postby Tsom » Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:54 pm

I could see the more pressured the deer are the less it would work. Our area of nh I wouldn't call pressured. Also I'd imagine the age of deer could make a difference. Not really expecting to fool a mature buck but would be interesting to try.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”