Opportunity Averted

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MartyMoose

Opportunity Averted

Unread postby MartyMoose » Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:48 am

So I snuck out of work early yesterday to get a hunt in! Typically, I work till 5:00 PM, and getting a hunt in after work is tough. I had a NE wind and had scouted in spring, locating a doe bedding area and a couple of buck beds on some ridges that run North and South. I set up off an old logging road, about 80 yards from the bedding areas, splitting the middle between the 2 ridges. 20 minutes after setting up in the saddle I had a doe and 2 fawns feeding on acorns to my NE. I think the doe caught my movement and started walking right at me. Eventually she worked her way downwind, circling, and got my wind. She blew and ran to the bottom, fawns obliviously vacuuming up acorns. Eventually the fawns moved toward Mom and the disappeared. 15 minutes later, footsteps! A 3 pointer walking, head down, eating acorns, passed by at 5 yards and milled around for 15 minutes. He moved off to the west, but before he did he stopped and stared intently up the ridge toward the logging road, he blew a few times and eventually wandered off. This was around 6:30 PM. Around 7:05 PM, I heard walking by the logging road moving East. I searched intently but couldn't see the culprit, and eventually did not hear the movement any longer, checking to my East religiously. Well, it's getting really dark, and I'm wondering what time it is! So, I pull out my cell phone and click it to check the time. 7:13 PM, 3 minutes left. All breaks loose behind me, and I see a very mature buck bounding away! I sit in disgust as I watch him head down to the bottom, hands on my tether, shaking my head........what an idiot! Time to buy a watch and leave the cell phone in my pocket. Without the help from this group I don't believe I would have had the opportunity to even see this animal! I have sat in the background, absorbing as much information as my 53 year old brain can take. I am not upset, but hopeful and excited for what the future brings........Hunting Beast Style.

Jurist

Re: Opportunity Averted

Unread postby Jurist » Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:57 am

It only takes doing one thing wrong, I’ll leave my cell phone in the truck.
"We know they are lying,
they know they are lying,
they know we know they are lying,
we know they know we know they are lying,
but they are still lying."
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:16 am

Cool encounter. We all screw up hunts. Tough to say whether you would have had a shot opportunity, especially in fading light.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:18 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:Cool encounter. We all screw up hunts. Tough to say whether you would have had a shot opportunity, especially in fading light.

x2. Don't beat yourself up too much. If you are adopting beast tactics, your encounters will get more frequent.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:34 am

Yeah, but who know what would have happened. But, get do again tomorrow. :clap:
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:50 am

Sounds like a good hunt to me
The mistakes are to learn by and move keep moving on
Hopefully he messes up and gives you mores steps in the daylight soon!!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:04 am

Also shows the advantages of sneaking in a quick hunt when you can....even if it's only an hour or two.
Wihunter95

Unread postby Wihunter95 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:16 am

Sounds like a good hunt to me. We all screw up. Never know you might get eyes on him again and he might not be so lucky.
Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:59 am

Keep swinging for the fences, there will be more.
It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:12 am

I can’t tell you how many times my dang phone has got me busted by deer. Between forgetting to put on mute, trying to use my phone to play outdoor photographer, or just fiddling with it and letting a deer sneak by. The sad part is I know better and still do it!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:35 am

That has happened to me before. I did start wearing a watch, but then I put it through the washer and it quit. So now I really try not to care what time it is or who might be trying to contact me when I'm in the tree. They can wait until I'm done. :D
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:49 am

Doh!

Well, at least you’re on him!

Were you on the ground or in a tree?
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
MartyMoose

Unread postby MartyMoose » Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:56 am

I was in a tree hanging from my saddle.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:30 am

I messed up a nice buck by texting a hunt buddy about how cold it was at the gray of first light. Looked up to see a giant deer run off. Oopsie! If I'da been looking would have been an easy peasy kind of shot and biggest buck.

Once had a nice buck (18-inch wide 7 pt) standing under my stand looking up at me (like 6 feet away). Felt his eyes and looked down thru my legs and made eye contact - another oopsie! LOL!

Another one - I set up on a typical 8 pt but huge body. Set up for a 15 yard quartering away shot as he walked past. Had him patterned to the minute and had watched him do his thing the day before. He was 5 minutes late! Turned my head and there he was just standing there looking at me about 40 yards out. Never saw him again.

most likely the deer saw you trying to see him - some guys will bob their heads and others have their head on a swivel (especially use deaf guys) - the deer see me all the time. If I do spot them first, will get ready for shot and freeze until it is time to release or pull trigger.

Enjoy the journey, it really is a lot of fun.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:50 am

Well good thing that opportunity was averted not sure how many bucks you are allowed to kill but your season was almost over? What a shame that would have been!
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”