Thermal tunnel question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mtnmonster

Thermal tunnel question

Unread postby Mtnmonster » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:50 am

I was reading some stuff on thermals and deer and had a question I really can't find an answer on. There may not be one because we aren't deer and can't fully understand them. When a buck is bedded in hill country in that thermal tunnel where the wind from their back and thermals rising swirl together. Can they tell which direction the scent is coming from? I think they may because they won't necessarily run to danger and I'm sure their other senses will help. It had me thinking back to a time I was in a stand and watched a group of does bed in a thermal tunnel. I had watched them for a little while with no noticeable wind change but they winded me and new exactly which direction to go. I know they didn't see or hear me.

A5BLASTER
500 Club

Re: Thermal tunnel question

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:10 am

Yes.

Just like your ears can pick up directional sounds and tell your brain, hey that came from over there.

A deer's nose can collect and process diffrent smells from diffrent directions in each nostril. Meaning both sides of their nose can be used to pin point the spot a smell is coming from at the same time.
Deerkins

Re: Thermal tunnel question

Unread postby Deerkins » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:04 pm

I’d say so. It’s a little different, but through a lot of experience coyote hunting, I can tell you that they react to the slightest wind Changes, even if it’s imperceptible to me , without some kind of indicator.

They always know what they have to do, to get a downwind advantage. I’d think a deer is similar, where it’s so ingrained into them, that knowing where the wind is coming from at all times, is basically a subconscious thing

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”