Setup ?’s

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Putt400
500 Club

Re: Setup ?’s

Unread postby Putt400 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:37 am

backstraps wrote:
Bowhunter68 wrote:How are you wrapping the paracord? I use paracord as well and when I use a figure 8 wrap I have no problem with tangles

Same here
I figure 8 around my thumb and pinkie and have zero problems. I also add a 5” piece of fuel line to hold while letting paracord slip through while lowering like the third hand archery rope has

X3! I’ve never had a problem using the same figure 8 technique and attached these small spring clip Nite Ize carabiners to each end.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

“No matter how good or bad your life is, wake up each morning and be thankful you still have one”...Zig Ziglar
Hawkeyebowhunter

Unread postby Hawkeyebowhunter » Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:05 am

I ordered Doyles gear hoist-should work great!
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:44 am

Figure 8, no tangles. Problem solved.
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:33 am

Get a retractable hoist of some kind. Trust me, you won't regret it. I'll never hunt without one again.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:36 am

I wrap my pull rope in figure eight pattern around my index finger and my thumb.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:43 am

Thesouthpaw wrote:Get a retractable hoist of some kind. Trust me, you won't regret it. I'll never hunt without one again.

Yup. I did the figure 8 thing with ropes for many years. A retractable strap is so quick and easy. Instantly back where it belongs. One less thing to worry about when packing up.
Deerkins

Unread postby Deerkins » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:12 pm

I climb up , with bow sling on back. Gear hoist, I recommend the type that you wind up by hand. Have had issues with the spring loaded in the past , and they’re pretty heavy, for what they do
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:31 pm

My pull up rope is 6 three foot amsteel dog bones attached to each other. Best I've ever had in its 3rd season tangle free.. with a s binder hook on each end of the 18 foot. Is a expensive pull up rope but I use them for all sorts of thing like hammock straps and such too. No regrets on thecost. I think it's 1200 pound rating amsteel.
It is way way lighter then a Doyle's hoist and quieter.

The loops wrap right back on the s binder hook until the next hunt pull them off the hook and attach bow. It stays connected to my cruzer xc at all times sitting in its saddle pouch. I cant recommend it enough if anyone has any dog bones laying around i would never use any other pull up rope after using this.

A continuous amsteel rope tangles but not the seperate dog bones every 3 foot is separate it is very hard to tangle up.

Tree strap i use the tethrd one with 4 s binder hooks.

I detach my quiver when I get up in the tree and put on my s binder hook.

My bow and rangefinder go on other hooks.

My final hook I use for my slip on bow release or backpack if I carry one.

In am I use a Browning Matrix headlamp in green lens.
Coming out after dark I use a mini Maglite just because its lighter.

To climb 1 beast stick with aider and 1 beast strap.
Saddle Flex or Cruzer xc.
Beast stand with backpack straps alot of times ill 1 stick using the saddle with the stand on my back going up the tree.

My setup im sure isn't perfect but its taken a few seasons to get really used to it. Overall its not bad.

Screenshot_20210922-193755_DuckDuckGo.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Tennhunter3 on Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:41 pm

Tennhunter3 wrote:My pull up rope is 6 three foot amsteel dog bones attached to each other. Best I've ever had in its 3rd season tangle free.. with a s binder hook on each end. Is a expensive pull up rope but I use them for all sorts of thing like hammock straps and such too. No regrets on the 25.00 cost. I think it's 1200 pound rating amsteel.

Beast stand with backpack straps alot of times ill 1 stick using the saddle with the stand on my back going up the tree.

My setup im sure isn't perfect but its taken a few seasons to get really used to it. Overall its not bad.

What’s the benefit youve found in using the 3 ft dog bones vs just 18 ft of amsteel? I always have amsteel laying around.

I love my Doyle’s but 18 ft of amsteel weighs virtually nothing and i like splicing it amd making uses of it.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:57 pm

szwampdonkey wrote:
Tennhunter3 wrote:My pull up rope is 6 three foot amsteel dog bones attached to each other. Best I've ever had in its 3rd season tangle free.. with a s binder hook on each end. Is a expensive pull up rope but I use them for all sorts of thing like hammock straps and such too. No regrets on the 25.00 cost. I think it's 1200 pound rating amsteel.

What’s the benefit youve found in using the 3 ft dog bones vs just 18 ft of amsteel? I always have amsteel laying around.

I love my Doyle’s but 18 ft of amsteel weighs virtually nothing and i like splicing it amd making uses of it.

A continuous strand of amsteel can tangle.
The dog bones are separate.
The loops just make it extremely hard to tangle up.
If you can tie or splice your own loops im sure it would work.

You may be able to tie a loop in a continuous amsteel strand every 3 foot and just attach them to a s binder hook. Its worth a try. And would be alot cheaper. I just always have dog bones laying around.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:23 pm

When it is in saddle I just wrap this in half and put in saddle pouch.
Over the years you can see one or two times it's gotten tangled but isn't a issue. Never had it happen on a hunt.
I think the one or two times it has was when I just got lazy and balled it up after a hunt instead of reattached the loops to the s Binder like I should have.

20210922_202021.jpg
Last edited by Tennhunter3 on Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:26 pm

How the dog bones connected and loop back through each other. Just put loop end through next dogbone loop end and pull in reverse through the same loop you put through the other dogbone then pull backwards.

20210922_202417.jpg
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:48 pm

Cool, might mess around with some amsteel and see how it works out.
JBK

Unread postby JBK » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:14 am

Rig'Em Right Main Line Rope is awesome. Way better than paracord. I use it in place of paracord now.

Daisy chain it. Dump it into a cargo pocket and go. Takes a little extra time but it works great.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”