2021 Early Season Acorn Situation

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

etanderson21

2021 Early Season Acorn Situation

Unread postby etanderson21 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:20 am

Here in Central MN, there are few public pieces with White Oaks that are dropping acorns.

I hunted the opening weekend on 2 historical setups that are proven to hold big bucks. Once setup on both locations, I come to find few acorns. I think most of them dropped early in the season out of a defense mechanism to preserve their energy.

Taking the full week of to hunt this week, I scouted additional areas yesterday and today just looking for remote islands that are holding acorns to no avail.

What early season progressions do you guys make when it is not a bumper acorn season? I recall Joe R said he switched it up and tried hills and farm country. I am also going to hunt near adjacent bean fields with the theory that bucks are bedding closer to adjacent fields.

"you just have to PAY your dues" Stanley Schmidt :dance:
Jrdeerhuntr

Re: 2021 Early Season Acorn Situation

Unread postby Jrdeerhuntr » Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:51 am

Both times I have been out I have been in the red oaks and they are dropping, but the deer have not slowed down much to feed on them. I am going to try an apple tree tonight that only had 1/4 of the apples it usually it does other years. I hope some are still dropping with the wind today.
Wihunter95

Unread postby Wihunter95 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:39 am

Im struggling to find acorns here on the east side of Wisconsin also. Few here and there, we had a relatively dry summer so maybe that's why
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:23 am

I see that too. I see a lot of not-too-old caps on the ground around some whites and burr oaks, but the reds seem a bit more numerous in certain spots, but they’re pretty much untouched. I’m sure there are some gold-mine whites out there, but they’re tough to find.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Primetime41

Unread postby Primetime41 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:10 am

I've walked a lot of miles in several parts of WI in the last 5 weeks and haven't found many acorns dropping or hanging on trees.
mike_mc
500 Club

Unread postby mike_mc » Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:26 am

In this video the guy talks about oaks that are in the open producing better in years of late frost because they get more wind not allowing frost to settle, and oaks in the open get more sun. Swamp white oaks have a good crop this year in my area, maybe check them if you know where they are.

https://youtu.be/7Km70I1RiPI
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:40 am

I'm seeing some acorns, last night I had occasional dropping, but not raining acorns. Seen better and seen worse.
HuntingParadise
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/hunting.paradise.56

Unread postby HuntingParadise » Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:54 am

Acorns have been dropping already here. Week before season started and deer were hitting them.
hcooper84

Unread postby hcooper84 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:15 am

Hunting mainly farmland with woodlots scattered about. Beans are pretty much yellow, velvet it is off for the most part, and the bucks have disappeared. Summer cameras have really slowed down. These are mostly on field edges. I am assuming that the acorns have began falling and the deer are switching food sources. Due to historical data I know the bucks are still around they've just changed things up. Is it likely they have switched to acorns if they are falling?
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:48 am

Havent really scouted acorns near my spots, but I got some whites in my front and backyard that dropped a few -not a lot. Been seeing a couple does hanging around browsing for them and saw some caps and residual on the ground. Theres still some hanging too but again- not a lot. Pretty decent amount of reds that dropped already but those really haven't been touched. Im in W. Michigan
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:36 am

I prefer years with less acorns because here in WV, oak trees are literally everywhere. Years with bumper crops, like this year, make it tough because the deer don't have to move very far. The best thing I do on years without a lot of acorns is locate the next best food source in the area, whether that be hay fields, cattle pastures, or crops if you have access to them.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:41 am

Deer by me are eating the shag bark hickory nuts that seem to be a bumper crop.

I haven’t seen any oaks holding acorns yet so looks like the deer are hitting those instead.
Djp32

Unread postby Djp32 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:16 am

szwampdonkey wrote:Deer by me are eating the shag bark hickory nuts that seem to be a bumper crop.

I haven’t seen any oaks holding acorns yet so looks like the deer are hitting those instead.

I have never noticed any sign of deer eating hickory nuts here in pa. The few times I’ve been out this season I’ve seen tons of acorns, looks like a bumper corp so far.
AndreSaavedra

Unread postby AndreSaavedra » Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:41 pm

The guy in the vid is a deer farmer.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”