Help!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Buckharasser150

Help!

Unread postby Buckharasser150 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:58 pm

I am going hunting tonight. I will get home around 3:15-3:20. This spot is only a few hundred yards from my house. This area of woods is 10-20 acres in size. Do you think I am in good spot? Will I make it in time if the woods is thick and I take my time not scraping my stand?
Purple= Area I am thinking of putting stand up
Red= Good buck beds
Green= Prime alfalfa
Blue= Permanent stand deer really dont go by
White= Wind direction

I tried to put this stand location on multiple transitions. Please let me know your thoughts before 3:00 PM

"If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land."
BRoth82
500 Club

Re: Help!

Unread postby BRoth82 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:03 am

You forgot to attach the picture
Buckharasser150

Unread postby Buckharasser150 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:07 am

No way I totally did
"If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land."
Buckharasser150

Unread postby Buckharasser150 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:11 am

Ok made dumb mistake forgot to add picture. Here is one.
Light blue marker= Buck beds/bedding
Red stand= permanent
Black/white= Potential setup
Fields to SE= great alfalfa
Wind coming from NW
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Buckharasser150

Unread postby Buckharasser150 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:12 am

BRoth82 wrote:You forgot to attach the picture

Sorry about that. Picture is now attached
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:23 am

I would try setting up along the transition line on the S side as close to the point as you’re comfortable getting with the time you have. Be extra careful not to make any sounds as you setup.

Good luck
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:25 am

Knowing only what you have said I would start here.
C29A8AE4-D597-485D-8569-5D118E2A6A26~2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Buckharasser150

Unread postby Buckharasser150 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:26 am

James wrote:I would try setting up along the transition line on the S side as close to the point as you’re comfortable getting with the time you have. Be extra careful not to make any sounds as you setup.

Good luck

I never see bucks travel that, that section of woods is more open timber with some underbrush. Good for acorns though.
Last edited by Buckharasser150 on Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
BRoth82
500 Club

Unread postby BRoth82 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:27 am

That low area coming into the field on the westside looks to me like a spot a big buck would come out into. With falling thermals they're going to drop and pull into that low area. If there's a trail on the south side of the woods I'd be tempted to hunt that, it looks like a good transition line from the beds to the ag field. I would try to do a ground hunt if the grass allows for it, setup on the downwind side of that transition.
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:28 am

Buckharasser150 wrote:
James wrote:I would try setting up along the transition line on the S side as close to the point as you’re comfortable getting with the time you have. Be extra careful not to make any sounds as you setup.

Good luck

I totally would but that setup is already 50-75 yards from that bed if that’s what you’re talking about

75 yards sounds just like what I’d want. If you are quiet and they don’t have a line of sight to your stand (usually too thick in early season) I would setup there.
Buckharasser150

Unread postby Buckharasser150 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:32 am

BRoth82 wrote:That low area coming into the field on the westside looks to me like a spot a big buck would come out into. With falling thermals they're going to drop and pull into that low area. If there's a trail on the south side of the woods I'd be tempted to hunt that, it looks like a good transition line from the beds to the ag field. I would try to do a ground hunt if the grass allows for it, setup on the downwind side of that transition.

In daylight I haven’t seen any nice bucks do that. It’s more in that “90 degree” corner of woods/field that I see the bucks show up. That corner is in higher elevation so You can see 3-500 yards
Buckharasser150

Unread postby Buckharasser150 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:33 am

James wrote:
Buckharasser150 wrote:

Good luck

I totally would but that setup is already 50-75 yards from that bed if that’s what you’re talking about

75 yards sounds just like what I’d want. If you are quiet and they don’t have a line of sight to your stand (usually too thick in early season) I would setup there.

Yeah I don’t see bucks traveling that swamp to woods transition line on the south side of that bigger point. There is road to south.
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:38 am

Buckharasser150 wrote:
James wrote:
Buckharasser150 wrote:

Good luck

Yeah I don’t see bucks traveling that swamp to woods transition line on the south side of that bigger point. There is road to south.

A road doesn’t bug me too much. I would have more confidence there than the middle of the timber. I killed a great buck on public less than 150 yards from a busy highway and visible a few years back.
Buckharasser150

Unread postby Buckharasser150 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:42 am

Yeah I suppose. Thing is that I’ve seen 150+ Inch bucks walking the swampy/thick transition(s) in those woods. That lighter colored tree areas is swampy and thick. Yeah idk. Like what you’re saying but I just haven’t seen a buck in 6 years walk that swamp transition. Only occasionally does
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:46 am

Buckharasser150 wrote:Yeah I suppose. Thing is that I’ve seen 150+ Inch bucks walking the swampy/thick transition(s) in those woods. That lighter colored tree areas is swampy and thick. Yeah idk. Like what you’re saying but I just haven’t seen a buck in 6 years walk that swamp transition. Only occasionally does

Sounds like you have him figured out then. Get in there and kill him tonight! To answer your earlier question 3:15-3:20 is plenty of time. They might be moving a touch earlier tonight with the storm passing through in the Midwest and things cooling off

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”