Question on Doe bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jazzy66171

Question on Doe bedding

Unread postby Jazzy66171 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:49 am

So this weekend I had success killing a doe on a stand of 8 white oak trees clustered in the the middle of a clearcut. I bumped a doe at midday off of it and circled back around and set up there for my evening hunt to see what would happen. On my way to the stand I came through the clearcut face into the wind and bumped another doe and found numerous beds. It was the most beds I have ever come across in a big woods setting. My question is, will this be a good area to hunt come the rut? Will bucks be cruising this area (the thick and also the oak trees) during the rut to check for does? Or will the does have moved on to different areas of the forest by that time of year and thereby taking the bucks with them? Thanks much in advance!

backstraps

Re: Question on Doe bedding

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:05 am

Those clear cur edges can be really good during the rut
The scenario you described is an excellent example of where you would expect cruising too

The buck can cruise the edge of the woods and catch anything upwind (inside the woods) and see anything in the clearcut

Much like when Dan speaks about farm bedding, and field lots

Id for sure toss a couple sits at it
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:02 am

Based on what I have witnessed over the years I would say it would be good during late October if u stay out of there and don’t run the doe’s off or leave your scent all over the place while mature bucks are setting up routes at night. But when the rut starts getting underway doe get cut like cattle. That’s when u start seeing single doe! In my area doe that don’t wanna get harassed hide out in spots they don’t believe a old buck will go in daylight. Works for awhile but sooner or later the bucks are coming. Also believe the best doe bedding turns into buck bedding come rut. Just my .02
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:41 am

Oh yeah- as long as its not over pressured. I would think you would start seeing some rubs and scrapes along the transition/perimeter soon as well.
Jazzy66171

Unread postby Jazzy66171 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:31 pm

Okay here’s another question, I came across this little patch in the middle of some thick cover roughly 20 yards from a bed. It even has cover from above, do you think this is a primary scrape? Or another bed?? The ground looks too beat up for a bed but it doesn’t have traditional licking branches, just the surrounding sapling cover
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:14 pm

Personally have never seen any buck activity in the middle of thick cover. Has always been my opinion they are an edge animal. I’m no expert but doesn’t look like any bed I’ve ever seen. Looks more like a mock scrape or hog area. Not saying that’s the case just giving an opinion
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:15 pm

A bed, a very well used bed!!
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:35 pm

Looks like a well worn bed

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”