Looking for some constructive advice please

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Adam B

Re: Looking for some constructive advice please

Unread postby Adam B » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:29 am

Evanszach7 wrote:Check out the all time tactical threads. Most beds I found don't have a bunch of hair. I've kicked many deer up, went and checked the beds, no hair. Sometimes not even deer crap.

I will look at those. Thank you

Adam B

Unread postby Adam B » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:30 am

backstraps wrote:Constructive advice:
I think your tracks looks to be off a little as to where I would have been searching for sign you want to find.

If you have a map that’s uncluttered with your track marks, I’d be happy to show you areas of interest

If you prefer you can send me a PM with the map of post if here and I will try and help

I appreciate the offer. I will send you a copy
G-Patt
500 Club

Unread postby G-Patt » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:37 am

Hmmm.... Tough one. Without knowing the food sources, level of hunting pressure, or what the surrounding areas hold (food, doe groups?) along with that hunting pressure, it's really hard to dissect this. So no rubs or scrapes, wild wind currents, just a couple of beds? If you're stuck to only this property, I would just keep at it until something works or you learn something new. Definitely try to figure out what's going on with the neighboring properties, especially if doe family groups are using those areas for hunting pre-rut and rut. I would focus my hunting efforts only when the thermals are more predictable and/or after a front goes through or right after a rain or snow storm. You'll have to be choosey to give it a fair shot.
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!
Adam B

Unread postby Adam B » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:38 am

<DK> wrote:I dont want to give wrong advice so a few questions

*What state?
*Are there big bucks in the surrounding area?
*Is there big buck sign on the property?

You took the hardest step and that is changing your mindset leaving old tactics in the rear view!

Thank you for the response.
1. W.V
2. In the general area yes. The part of the county is known for pretty good deer.
3. I didn't find a stitch. Had pictures of one I would have shot after last season ended. I don't have cameras out this year
no sihn this year so far though. I've walked around two times out there in the last month.
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:46 am

What’s your goal here? Is it to kill the biggest buck in the woods, trophy bucks, or just deer for the meat? Or does none of that matter and you’re just looking to hunt mobile and get away from baiting?

I ask as it wasn’t clear from your post as you were killing nice bucks already by legally baiting (maybe the best of what your area has to offer) and you said you had to put bait out to kill a doe to “eat on over the winter”?
Adam B

Unread postby Adam B » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:47 am

backstraps wrote:

*What state?

You took the hardest step and that is changing your mindset leaving old tactics in the rear view!

Absolutely agree with this!

Also what is the prevailing wind where your hunting?

I haven't figured that out yet. Trying to
Adam B

Unread postby Adam B » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:53 am

James wrote:That looks like a really tough 40 to access and hunt. With a house/buildings in part of it the challenge only grows. A few thoughts from my perspective hunting hill country:

1. Do you have bigger bucks than you mentioned in the area? Are you seeing them driving around? Neighbors killing bigger ones? If no, then it sounds like you're killing the biggest ones around. It's a cliche saying but you have to be where the big bucks are and some areas just don't have them. Hunting just 40 acres makes it even tougher. If you don't have the big ones in the area the best first step might be getting all the neighbors on a deer management plan. Tough for sure, but can be done. If they are in the area and you're just not seeing them on this 40, then comes my next two suggestions:

2. Trail cameras - I know a lot of guys that get an occasional big buck at 3am and are "hunting" them the rest of the season off that one pic. When mature bucks are frequently using an area you'll get a lot of photos of them and definitely in daytime if they are close. If you want to run trail cameras I would recommend 1 cellular cam over multiple non-cellular. Go in prior to a rain and set it up at the best possible juncture. Use lithium batteries so you get the best life out of it and can avoid going back to change. 1 cell camera should be able to inventory a 40 acre parcel just fine.

3. Pressure - I wouldn't be stepping foot in that 40 acres unless it's a surgical kill mission in season. No checking cameras, no running around. Stop all the baiting which is sounds like you have. A mature buck needs to know that parcel is the safest place to spend time and free of human intrusion. I'm lucky to hunt some hill country farms similar in geography and the human pressure there is near 0% unless it is me or my hunting partner coming in on a kill mission. Hang and hunts only and keep the number of hunts to a real minimum. That is what it takes to keep mature bucks on small parcels. I would plan on half a dozen hunts max all season on a parcel that size. Maybe a couple more for all day rut sits where you only go in/out during dark.

4. Rut - That parcel looks like a great travel corridor for rut hunting. If you've kept the early season pressure to a minimum I would put a few rut hunts in that NE corner. Climb in the dark, hang your set, plan on staying all day. I believe the road to the NE is lower in elevation so a SW wind would make that ridge leeward. I'd be on that ridge for a few all day sits in the rut.

Those are my tips for improving your odds in hill country on mature bucks, especially for a smaller parcel like this. They may sound somewhat harsh but it will take a stark change in tactics to produce the results you want. Killing does for the freezer and killing mature bucks are two completely different things. You may also need to decide which is more important for you and your family.

Helpful info! Thank you
Adam B

Unread postby Adam B » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:59 am

Boogieman1 wrote:I’m a keep things very simple type guy. Is big bucks ever on that property? By big bucks I mean older bigger than what u have routinely been killing. If so and what u were doing was not working then it’s time to change it up and put a plan together. If not then don’t patch a tire that isn’t flat. Not all places harbor big old bucks. In fact more don’t than do. Can’t kill what isn’t there no matter how much you try. Personally I would verify this property has big bucks b4 I waste any of my precious time planning for something that probably isn’t even there.

Makes me really wonder. Thank you
Adam B

Unread postby Adam B » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:11 am

szwampdonkey wrote:What’s your goal here? Is it to kill the biggest buck in the woods, trophy bucks, or just deer for the meat? Or does none of that matter and you’re just looking to hunt mobile and get away from baiting?

I ask as it wasn’t clear from your post as you were killing nice bucks already by legally baiting (maybe the best of what your area has to offer) and you said you had to put bait out to kill a doe to “eat on over the winter”?

Absolutely. I normally like to get a doe pretty early season. Then spend the majority of the season looking for a good buck. Finish off with another doe in December and that be the year. I kind of told myself that I would only kill a bigger buck than the last one. I've got four or so skull cap smaller bucks from over the years in my garage, and two 9 points and one 8 point have made it shoulder mount status for me in my living room. Id like to put some more in there with them, but going with my only bigger method I haven't shot a buck in like 4-5 years! The ones in the living room aren't huge by any means either so its not like I'm trying to beat out a giant. I don't wanna sound goofy about it, and if had a crack at a nice buck that was like the others I have id take it. Mainly what I meant was, I will never shoot another spike, fork horn, or little 6 point again in my life. I'd just as soon shoot a doe and let the bucks grow. I'm trying to figure out how to get older more mature deer.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:29 am

Adam B wrote:
backstraps wrote:

*What state?

Absolutely agree with this!

Also what is the prevailing wind where your hunting?

I haven't figured that out yet. Trying to

https://www.windfinder.com/#10/38.5708/-90.1561

Find the closest airports to your area > click Measurements > click Statistics
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:51 pm

I don't think most hunters really do themselves any favors in a quest for a big buck, by filling their doe tags early.

Keep the disturbances down and keep the does around; they're the best bait you'll have for big bucks during the rut.

Fill your doe tag late season AFTER you've killed the cruising big buck that she lured in to your area...
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:59 am

Want something early for the freezer kill the yearling nub bucks/does. They are easy pickings and good eating amd you can usually get em first weekend no problem. Leaves minimal disturbance being it’s mid Sept and let’s those mature does be ready to go luring in those bucks in Nov.

Once you have those cut em with a butter knife tender steaks to grill up all fall you can focus on the big buck in Oct/Nov and then a big mature doe Dec/Jan to fill the freezer until next season.

That’s how my season typically plays out.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”