Distraction for downwind position?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MuskieHunterDave
Facebook: can suck it.

Distraction for downwind position?

Unread postby MuskieHunterDave » Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:56 am

In hunting spots where the deer could come from any direction, has anyone ever tried setting something up to deter the deer from coming in from the downwind side? I'm wondering if something like that would work. I was thinking I could bring in the drag-out sled and leave it standing up 50 yds directly downwind of my position. Perhaps if any deer were approaching from that direction, they would choose to circle around it, thus avoiding my wind.

Thoughts?

Be still and know that I am God - Psalm 46:10
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Re: Distraction for downwind position?

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:09 am

I’ve never used something covered with human scent or man made like a sled but i’ve downed trees and created large brush piles to redirect them to a spot that gives me the advantage. I can most definitely say it does work.

Id give it a whirl if i were you.
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:56 am

I would try to get a better handle on why the deer are coming through said area, where they are coming from and where they are going to then set up accordingly.
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:47 am

szwampdonkey wrote:I’ve never used something covered with human scent or man made like a sled but i’ve downed trees and created large brush piles to redirect them to a spot that gives me the advantage. I can most definitely say it does work.

Id give it a whirl if i were you.

Yup this is what I have done also. Use natural brush or downed trees to block off trails.
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:32 am

I’m thinking you are talking rut in an area where a cruising buck could be coming from anywhere?

I’ve always had the idea to stick a couple of turkey decoys at like 40 downwind(if my access was from that way, as it should be. If not, no way I’d put ground scent there to get a distraction there). Obviously bucks are not scared of turkeys but it could push them closer to your tree and maybe thermals would go above the deer.

As I said, always been an idea… but just that. Never used as ive never really had the situation to use it.
UncleBuck3268
500 Club
Facebook: NONE

Unread postby UncleBuck3268 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:20 am

In my personal opinion you would lose that battle 99.9% of the time. A deer will smell you well beyond 50 yards not to mention your trail scent you leave behind if you set your blockade that day. Kind of repeating what thwack said but just my thought. I’d much rather try to get upwind of where you would set your blockade or decoy.
mspaci

Unread postby mspaci » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:29 am

cut some trees or place stuff down wind to block trails
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:41 am

I would just try to get in a better position for shot. Do like leaving more scent than need too. Of course, if this were months in advance. Sure.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:51 am

Odd things can work in the right circumstances. However I would rather get higher in the tree or practice some sort of scent reducing tactics. In my opinion the less the deer are alerted the better. I have plenty of deer come into my wind and pay no attention. I think alot of things play into that factor, thermals, temperature, humidity being the main ones. Understanding why you are hunting a spot and how the deer will move through is big. A good percentage of the deer I shoot are standing in the exact spot I expect them to be when I kill them. I am always willing to give up entrance and wind. If you line them up your really only giving up one thing.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”