A House Divided

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

LukeTM
Facebook: IG: Racks_and_Rivers

A House Divided

Unread postby LukeTM » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:54 am

This is a topic that has been on my heart and mind the last few years as we see outdoor privileges slowly taken away across the country. I wanted to bring it up here since it’s something I really DON’T see much of on this forum, though I know we all experience it elsewhere.
The topic is hunters bashing hunters. Be it shooting a “small buck” hunting with those broadheads vs the other ones, saddle vs hang on, public vs private, whatever.

Last night a young man named Blake Keating killed an incredible Oklahoma buck. Come to find out it was an escape from a farm 10 miles away. This morning I was in awe as I read the comments on Instagram before anyone knew the history of the deer (even the killer). Here’s a link to Spencer Neuharth’s article about it this morning. https://www.themeateater.com/hunt/white ... rld-record

Anyways, all of this has encouraged me to go OUT OF MY WAY to be an encouraging and supportive voice this season. Let’s combat the negativity by celebrating each other in big ways this year. A house divided cannot stand.

I hunt, I fish and I sing guitar solos in songs.
IG: Racks_and_Rivers
backstraps

Re: A House Divided

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:13 am

Sad how those things happen

You can be assured bashing etc won’t stand here on the Beast pages! If any of those comments post here and slip through the cracks, and missed by the mods, just shoot one of us a message and it will be handled quickly

Like you, encouraging and supporting our fellow members and hunters in a positive way is imperative
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:21 am

Congrats to Blake, I would have killed it too.. If it was me I would be suspicious just because true freaks like his buck are almost always high fence deer. He has an awesome trophy and a great story to tell. I wouldn't mind an escapee to come by me in a few days. :lol:
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:49 am

I’ve never seen any deer bashing on this site in the time i’ve been here. I’ve only seen people congratulating guys who kill whatever makes em happy.

To be fair, i don’t have FB, IG, Twitter etc as i think the way those platforms are designed actually breeds negativity in people who otherwise wouldn’t be. Something about the way social media effects our brains i think? In my opinion social media is the worst thing to come along maybe ever as to how it’s effected our culture and the way a lot of people function and interact with others.
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:52 am

If i recall i think a giant buck was also killed by a kid in WI a few years ago that escaped from a high fence operation. That is absolutely no fault of his own but i think he received some blowback as well which was unfortunate.
rhagenw
Facebook: Rhagen Wiederholt

Unread postby rhagenw » Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:01 am

I would if arrowed that guy! Who wouldn’t? Most of all these mega-non typical bucks look like freak shows...congrats to Blake!
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:53 am

szwampdonkey wrote:If i recall i think a giant buck was also killed by a kid in WI a few years ago that escaped from a high fence operation. That is absolutely no fault of his own but i think he received some blowback as well which was unfortunate.

Agreed. Shouldn’t knock either of those kids who shot those deer. I mean, who wouldn’t? Not their fault the deer escaped. I hope they didn’t get too much blowback, but I thought Spencer’s article was appropriate.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
UncleBuck3268
500 Club
Facebook: NONE

Unread postby UncleBuck3268 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:11 am

I think that this is a great post. Of course there will always be some bad apples out there. Just the way the world spins. But I do agree with going out of the way to encourage and congratulate other hunters as long as they are playing by the rules. Not really for us to judge as everybody has their own things that make them happy whether it be a spike buck or anything else. To me an escaped farm buck is fair game. It still has the opportunity to escape.
Jurist

Unread postby Jurist » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:23 am

You can tell that it was a high fence deer immediately. They are breeding these deer, and they have a genetic defect or mutation if you wanna call it that in the gene that regulates antler growth, which is why they have so much of this in the high fence hunt areas.

I actually don’t know if I would’ve shot it.
"We know they are lying,
they know they are lying,
they know we know they are lying,
we know they know we know they are lying,
but they are still lying."
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:48 am

Congratulations to Blake, once a deer escaped a farm its fair game. That happened near my house one time and the hunter didn't see the ear tag till he walked up on it. It was still a trophy to that hunter and i Congratulated him no matter the circumstances. It seems alot of people think their don't stink when it comes to deer hunting. I dont care who you are if you done anything long enough and haven't made a mistake your not human.
It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
Ryan549
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan549 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:41 am

With all due respect, I don’t care what ANY of you kill.
I’m sure you don’t care what I kill.

I wish you all the best, but there is nothing like seeing someone proud of their harvest- no matter the size.
They played the game and they won. The smile says it all, chin up and proud.
That’s worth more than any amount of inches.
Ryan
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:42 am

Congrats to the kid for killing that buck. He did nothing wrong. I say if it escapes it’s fair game but entering it in the record books would no doubt be a bad move if proven 100% it was a fenced deer.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:42 am

Ryan549 wrote:With all due respect, I don’t care what ANY of you kill.

I wish you all the best, but there is nothing like seeing someone proud of their harvest- no matter the size.

Amen to that!
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Mgaspari

Unread postby Mgaspari » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:48 am

I posted this in another thread but on the Beast if you are proud enough, happy enough or excited enough to post the picture of your deer on here 99.9% of people on here are happy for you - just post the darn story behind the hunt :lol:
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:55 am

Ryan549 wrote:With all due respect, I don’t care what ANY of you kill.

:whistle: :clap:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”