I'm planning to hunt this fall that

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

sigourneyanderson
Facebook: facebook.com

I'm planning to hunt this fall that

Unread postby sigourneyanderson » Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:16 pm

Hi everyone,

I have a few spots I'm planning to hunt this fall that have a one way in, one way out situation. Apart from playing the wind, my biggest challenge is a "lookout" bed in both locations - entrance funnel in front of the bed, water behind, so I think it's safe to assume that if the wind is in my face, eyes will be on me.

But what about time of day/night where likelihood is lowest that I'll be seen going in and out? One of the spots has corn along the north and south side of a funnel getting into an "oasis" situation (surrounded by corn on all sides but one). I bumped a doe on the far side while scouting so I know they're up in there.

Water, oaks, etc. There's just a 30-50 yard wide funnel of CRP grasses (about 175 yards long) that is my only way in or out. Any advice on hiding in plan sight to get into a spot like this?

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Re: I'm planning to hunt this fall that

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:27 pm

I'm not positive about what you described.
BUT, I have hunted where they could see a long ways across a field. A bad entrance and it would be over before it started.

If you can plan for a dark to dark sit, or only hunt mornings you beat their advantage.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Primetime41

Re: I'm planning to hunt this fall that

Unread postby Primetime41 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:36 pm

Some thoughts:

1. You don’t need to worry about being seen on the way out, only on the way in.
2. You could try hunting that area in the morning in hopes of beating a buck to the bed.
3. Is there other bedding in the property? If so, hunt that bedding and don’t worry about whatever is watching you enter.
4. This is somewhat related to #3, but maybe bump the buck out of that spot early in the afternoon and either catch him coming back to that bed, or hunt him in a different location that you’ve bumped him to.
5. Some beds are used frequently, but many aren’t. Even beds that are worn down to bare dirt often aren’t being used as much as we like to think. Bucks bed all over the place.
6. Tough for me to visualize w/o a map, but can you enter thru the corn?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”