Acorns in hills

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tjc343
Facebook: thomas caldwell

Acorns in hills

Unread postby Tjc343 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:02 am

Im scouting for early season feeding locations. I've only been hunting five years and have recovered two deer so my experience level is still novice I think. I am only trying to put meat in the freezer right now, not trying to get that mature buck yet. I'm primarily looking for white oak acorns. I found a alot of white oaks yesterday that are dropping acorns as we speak. There are alot of game trails and fresh tracks converging at this spot. The problem is this location is almost at the bottom of a hill and is next to a relatively flat corn field. There is a small drop off behind where I would clmb a tree to sit.. I'm worried that the wind will swirl in this spot but I also think that when the wind dies just before day break the thermals will pull right down behind me in my favor. Sound reasonable or try something else?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

<DK>
500 Club

Re: Acorns in hills

Unread postby <DK> » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:49 am

Always test wind while youre scouting. Even if the wind is wrong direction you can see if its true or something odd is going on.

Oaks are tough. The way the terrain is in that spot could make for some tough wind conditions. Definitely pushing the envelope. I am surprised the bottoms are dropping that much, usually I see the tops drop first unless its a drought year. Although those are not very high elevation hills.

Trust your gut on the setup. Deer or big bucks will like to use the thickets travel route to the oak patch. I am wondering about the green patch S of your lowest pin in the middle, along the property line. That looks nice for possible bedding. Same for the spot to the W of that pin. I also really like that ditch/cut running up to the fields (above your pins). Deer could travel those ridge sides up, depending on the wind they can hit either one of those cove like fields (apple pin) w dropping thermals.

Check winter ariels (if possible). The green makes it tough to see the big picture. I love the terrain layout. If youre worried about the wind for a evening hunt then consider access thru the timber for a morning hunt. Maybe catch them coming back from the fields to hit some oaks before bed. Trust your gut!

For me, alot would depend on wind conditions, bedding and trails. Sometimes you have to work your way in closer to the patch. I also see bucks early season rubs in their fav oak patches so that sign would help alot w decision making. Idk if I answered your question but good luck!
Tjc343
Facebook: thomas caldwell

Re: Acorns in hills

Unread postby Tjc343 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:13 am

I am following game trails and tracks from the tops down and that is where I am finding the oaks that are dropping. Not having any luck finding them om the hills just in that valley

The thickest terrain is to the south and east. West is the cornfield it is near. I did see good tracks on the higher elevation terrain to the north. It is about 100 foot drop from the apple pin to the oak "flat" I am interested in.

The green patch is possible bedding. Very thick and has a lake near it. And a small stream from that lake running to the south of it

I guess the wind conditions I will just have to take my chances on. Everything depends on wind and access for this spot for me so I'll just have to pick the right time. I did see some rubs starting in there but nothing big or up high on a tree. There are plenty of trails running thru this spot and they are heavily used. I think there is plenty if security covwr in there to where they will feel comfortable browsing before they go out for the night

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”