Looking for bikes/ebikes perspectives

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

thumbsmcgee

Looking for bikes/ebikes perspectives

Unread postby thumbsmcgee » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:13 pm

Missouri is having an open forum for comments in October in regards to opening bike/e-bike access to areas on conservation service roads/multi-use trails. I'm unsure how I feel about that, and before I make a comment, I'd like to see perspectives from you fellow beasts.

I know there is a small bike culture in bowhunting, but it's something I've never dug into. I see the benefits in using a bike however it is one more thing to deal with when hunting. I like minimalism.

The Pros I see for hunters are: Quicker access to deeper parts of the woods through the use of trails on bikes/e-bikes.

The Cons: It's not limited to hunters using bikes on these roads. I fear that every person who has a bike will want to ride these service roads & trails, ignoring the fact hunters are out in the woods and create a crapload of noise. Eventually, deer will become accustomed to it.

One comment I have to make for safety: The use of bikes in these areas should be banned during firearms season. No ifs, ands, or buts. Too many trigger happy hunters, inexperienced hunters, and youth hunters for people to be riding bikes in these areas during gun season.

What are your thoughts on bikes in conservation areas on service roads & multi-use trails?

Link:https://mdc.mo.gov/newsroom/mdc-proposes-expanding-bicycle-use-conservation-areas?fbclid=IwAR1n5Rk7kzTmMcpuBph-oPSIGPKwJWI9jfNvk0BIcMc_kfI2rStmA-yjXJQ

PK_
500 Club

Re: Looking for bikes/ebikes perspectives

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:59 am

Lots of places where bikes and e-bikes are used during firearms seasons without issues. I would say the biggest thing on all public lands is EVERYONE should be required to wear orange not just the hunters. That has never made sense to me.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:21 am

I’d say no. Maybe I just don’t like change..

Something about yuppies whizzing by me on ebikes would just tick me off.
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:27 am

Not even remotely a fan of ebikes being where a truck is not allowed to be.

Traditional bikes I’m indifferent on.
JustinP

Unread postby JustinP » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:00 am

To date I have encountered a grand total of zero e-bike hunters.
But I think they should fall under the same rules as trucks, Jeeps, and ATVs, and dirt bikes, they are still just a motorized vehicle.
Peddle bikes, well I guess they get to go anywhere unless you ban anything with a wheel, I dunno........
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:24 am

Good post. That is the first iv heard of the topic so ill be sure to comment when its time.

Some places I hunt allow bikes but not e-bikes or "motorized". Ill say I tried biking in one time and left the bike at the parking lot for someone else! Worst hunt iv ever had, id rather walk 3 miles than bike 1 mile w my stand and bow. Just not for me I guess. Iv seen many people on bikes on non biking trails and not a single person get in trouble. Even draw hunts ​when there are 300 of us out there. I also wouldnt say anything about it bc I dont care.
Heck, Iv never even see a CA officer anywhere iv hunted!

Id rather see them actually remove permanent stands people leave. Also I am surprised how many cams, bait sites and even antler traps iv found on public! A dang antler trap!...

I definitely want a e bike and would like to see that be allowed - as long as they are quiet enough. I do really like how our state is traditional, sort of like the last frontier on anything new lol.. Even if they allow them, most of the ppl using them will just be trail bikers. I really really want a e-bike but cant afford one!! lol

The one subject I care most about is non resident tag prices. We were listed as a great underrated state but our tag prices are way too cheap! Iv seen a ton of out of state guys coming in, Xbows are legal now too. I used to be alone in Sept and now I see trucks all over the place. A few groups iv seen were walking out like 45mins before dark! Idk if they are scared of new place and getting lost or what but what the heck are they doing coming all the way here to leave before prime time? ...

I agree that they should not be allowed during firearms. I wish we would change our rules for main portion as well to be like other big buck states around us but the whole state would lose their minds! lol The MDC gets too much money from those tags too so I doubt that ever changes.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:45 am

I have a few spots I like to bike to scout for fresh sign, saves a ton of time but I am also covering 5-8 miles and on foot that could take a long time. Other bikers use the area and really I like to consider them cover, as in they are doing it anyway and the deer will get use to them and maybe even give them a false sense of security. 8-)

Mostly people get hung up on the extra traffic and pressure instead of using it to their advantage, find the way to make the most of the situation and you will always win.
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:34 pm

I started using an ebike this year, it feels like I’m cheating. MN has some pretty basic laws that if an ebike meets it isn’t considered a motorized vehicle therefore one can drive them on any paths a regular bike can. It is just a matter of time before they clamp down on this. I will say ebikes are quieter than 4 wheelers or side by sides and don’t tear up the trails as much but they do make it easier for people to get further in the sticks easier.
Persistence is undefeated.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:52 am

When everyone starts using ebikes those close to the parking lot spots will really heat up. Everyone is going to be so stuck on taking their bike miles in that they’ll ride right by the off to the side stuff close by.

I’m not sure how I feel about the e bikes yet.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Stingray713
500 Club

Unread postby Stingray713 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:13 pm

Ebikes are a game changer for sure. They are allowed on WMAs in Virginia. I can find plenty of good spots with no boot tracks, but it’s getting really tough to escape that freaking fat tire bike track.

Haven’t seen anyone out for any kind of recreational stroll. Riding old two tracks through thick cutovers isn’t attractive to non-hunters around here. If it were up to me I’d ban them and make everybody huff it in like me. But it’s not and they are legal and I’m getting out hustled by them so…

My wife ever stops having kids, I’m getting one ASAP.
Strategically Inefficient
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:31 am

218er wrote:I started using an ebike this year, it feels like I’m cheating. MN has some pretty basic laws that if an ebike meets it isn’t considered a motorized vehicle therefore one can drive them on any paths a regular bike can. It is just a matter of time before they clamp down on this. I will say ebikes are quieter than 4 wheelers or side by sides and don’t tear up the trails as much but they do make it easier for people to get further in the sticks easier.

I'd triple check just to be sure. I have email conversations with DNR confirming that at least around the twin cities, they aren't allowed in most WMAs, NWRs, and State forests which are closed to other vehicular traffic. I even cited a set of state statues which showed they likely were allowed - but then they mentioned that there was a different set of statutes which overruled them for that particular case:
The statute you’ve referenced refers specifically to “grant in aid” trails, not to wholly-owned state trails. So what I told you earlier is accurate if you are asking about an actual state trail. I hope that helps clarify.
Regardless, I've still seen them out there because it's totally not clear and there aren't signs up prohibiting them.

To the OP question, I totally agree with Wlog. In places where they're allowed and used by many of the people there, the desire is huge to stay on the trail for a large portion of the access, similar to how guys hunt in ATV areas. And so it can leave really big dead zones that get passed by or overlooked. A see tech like ebikes as one of those things where if used by a select few, they have an advantage in certain areas. But if the usage is widespread, it sort of levels the playing field and once again those willing to put in the time to scout unpressured areas will still be the ones consistently punching their tags IMO.
Tribute80

Unread postby Tribute80 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:30 am

I think ebikes will help the hunting community. Some people have a hard time walking long distances to get to low pressure areas so they think all public is terrible or crowded. I have used an ebike it’s not all glory. Flat tires and keeping it reliable were the main issues. A lot of spots it was easier to just cross water or walk where bikes couldn’t go to get there. I do think they should have to stick to established trails or roads. No matter how far your ebike takes you, you still have to hunt when you get there.

If we hunters do not find away to recruit other hunters to help us fight for our public lands the gov will find a reason to take them. If ebikes encourages more hunters im for it.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:09 am

That's what I call painting with a broad brush.

Try to scout a 10,000+ acre WMA preseason when vehicles aren't allowed without using a bike. That should cure any phobias you may have.

Our hunting areas down here are open to the public during the seasons.

The stuff about "unsafe" gun hunters is regurgitated malarkey and could be lost too.
When's the last person who just "got shot" by a random hunter that you know of?
Mostly folks i hear about seem to get shot during deer drives by their relatives.
Primetime

Unread postby Primetime » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:12 pm

I bought a rad power mini a few weeks ago. At any place I hunt, private or semi-public, it will make hunting much more effective, efficient, enjoyable and I am 100% all for it. The semi public place I hunt is in Missouri and they said last time anything electric with 2 wheels was ok to use if I remember correctly (I could be wrong but remembering saying to myself at the time wish I had an ebike). I am very much looking forward to using mine this year.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”