My Hunting “Journal”

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jimmy wallhanger
500 Club

Re: My Hunting “Journal”

Unread postby Jimmy wallhanger » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:18 am

Best wishes this year, I like the idea of a journal, Im going to make one also.

There is a specific section for journals, https://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewforum.php?f=191

"I don't care if you use it or not, I could care less, There's no money in it for me, Im not making any money from scent-lok... I'm making a little bit of royalties from the saddlehunter suit"
Buckharasser150

Unread postby Buckharasser150 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:28 am

Jimmy wallhanger wrote:Best wishes this year, I like the idea of a journal, Im going to make one also.

There is a specific section for journals, https://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewforum.php?f=191

Oh, you think I should move it?
"If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land."
Jimmy wallhanger
500 Club

Unread postby Jimmy wallhanger » Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:09 pm

Buckharasser150 wrote:
Jimmy wallhanger wrote:Best wishes this year, I like the idea of a journal, Im going to make one also.

Oh, you think I should move it?

I personally do not care either way bro. If you want to Im sure a moderator could move it for you.
"I don't care if you use it or not, I could care less, There's no money in it for me, Im not making any money from scent-lok... I'm making a little bit of royalties from the saddlehunter suit"
Primetime41

Unread postby Primetime41 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:57 am

Buckharasser150

Unread postby Buckharasser150 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:19 am

I know this is not a hunt yet, but I did a couple scouting trips of WMA's in my area. One was around 100 acres in size, the other 150 acres. These spots are easy access, because I may have a couple clients. On the 100 acre property I jumped 5-10 deer and found great bedding, but went to 150 acre and didn't find nearly as good sign as I was hoping, but maybe I missed something? I found HUGE beds but no rub nor big rub within 100 yards along transition. (I did not walk through the timber much, more along the swamp where bedding would be expected). I found one bed that was freshly rubbed and torn up around area, rubs were waist high. I'm guessing that the 150 acre property is getting pounded yearly, and it does not help that there is little water if none in most swamps because of drought. It's thick and nasty in that area, so maybe I am downplaying, but sign doesn't lie. I found rubs closer to access or farther from any bedding. I did not find consistent bedding like I did at the 100 acre piece.
I attached picture, with red being inconsistent bedding, which is the bedding I tend to see from does along the marsh transition. The blue markers are beds. Markers in SE had rubs in general area, but beds were mediocre. Decent spot for them, and could be bucks but I seen fawn beds there too. The thin strip of trees/brush with the two blue markers are the two big beds that I found, and there is almost no way to sneak up on em. No rubs. The bed that is on point just SW of the two big beds is the buck bed with rubs. Otherwise all other beds are perceived doe beds.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land."
Buckharasser150

Unread postby Buckharasser150 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:58 am

Good morning everyone. It is the day before Minnesota archery season begins! I work tomorrow morning but tomorrow evening looks like I am heading out with friend to one of his properties. It sounds like big deer aren't too scarce on that property and I am excited to hunt! For Sunday morning, I think I will shoot doe if I get chance, and then the evening go for bucks. I will keep everyone updated!
Buckharasser150

Unread postby Buckharasser150 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:31 am

September 18 2021 (opening day) Evening
My buddy and I went to a spot for just the purpose of shooting does. The spot he put me at was a transition between mature pines and corn. There was deer already there, and they spooked. My buddy said they will come back no matter what. I said ok. So I sat at this weird looking tree about 20 yards off the road waiting. The deer came back but one saw me and circled and got downwind and busted. I kept moving to different spots and they kept busting me. Over and over. Finally sat on rock pile and in last 15 minutes of shooting light a doe appeared just inside of the pines. She never came out but almost did multiple times. Never gave me a clean ethical shot that I had confidence in. My buddy ended up shooting a doe and never found her. Tonight we are going to same property except I’m choosing spot and using my stand….
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:16 am

I wish you luck. Our season here starts on 25th.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Buckharasser150

Unread postby Buckharasser150 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:41 am

Ghost Hunter wrote:I wish you luck. Our season here starts on 25th.

I hope you get the deer that meets your goals! I just want to get a doe under my belt for my first deer with bow. Then go to the good spots for the big bucks. I have a good feeling about tonight. Just gotta pray they come out.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:25 am

Buckharasser150 wrote:
Ghost Hunter wrote:I wish you luck. Our season here starts on 25th.

I hope you get the deer that meets your goals! I just want to get a doe under my belt for my first deer with bow. Then go to the good spots for the big bucks. I have a good feeling about tonight. Just gotta pray they come out.

Be patient your time will come. Just remember shoot for exit. Shoot deer where you can visualize arrow coming out right in behind opposite shoulder.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:20 am

Good luck.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Buckharasser150

Unread postby Buckharasser150 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:00 am

September 19 2021 (Evening)
My buddy and I decided to hunt my private property for does! We decided to go to a field surrounded by woods with some bends in it. I was taking my lone wolf setup and he was going to sit in an old permanent tree stand. We got there, and that permanent stand didn’t have the shooting lanes that we would have liked, so my buddy with his ghillie suit went and sat on the ground. I tried a tree up the hill along field edge, but the lean was too much and I felt unsafe. So I climbed back down and went across the field. Found a better tree and got set back up. Wind was a south wind. Terrible for my property but we figured it might still work out. Well, it would have if the wind didn’t swirl in every direction. We saw quite a few does but they would always smell us with the swirl. From now on, I’m hunting for bucks, and if I presented opportunity, I will take a doe for my first bow deer. But hey, if buck comes even better. Tuesday I think I am going to hunt next.
Buckharasser150

Unread postby Buckharasser150 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:03 am

Sorry for not posting previous two hunts. One hunt was stalk on deer in field and other was first beast style hunt! No deer on beast style hunt. Any way I’m on Public Land I scouted week before season opener, it’s been two weeks. Jumped lots of deer. I found lots of bedding on this small property right off highway. Easy access but I hope it’s over looked. Have not seen anyone parked here. I found rubs but nothing super fresh on my scouting trip here. I had wrong wind for the “best” spot, so I’m hunting same bedding area on different side. Bedding is thick willows and red brush and brush. I am on transition of poplar/open hardwoods/swamp with bedding. Pounded trails. Got up tiny dead tree 3 lone wolf sticks up… I’m gonna fall over any minute. I’m hoping deer are going to exit bedding to come over here before heading to field(s) behind me. They could just funnel down this swamp too though. All other trees are leaning or too far in hardwoods, this is only tree I could get in. The tree I need to be in. I have tiny hole for if deer walk close enough in swamp parallel to the hard woods. They may smell me too if they go down that way. Anyway hopefully I can at least get doe tonight! Fields are in every direction from this bedding which makes it hard.
Buckharasser150

Unread postby Buckharasser150 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:50 am

Ended up having a basket 7 point come right down trail then came to stand and sniffed the stand sticks and spooked. Successful night in my book!
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:35 pm

Buckharasser150 wrote:Ended up having a basket 7 point come right down trail then came to stand and sniffed the stand sticks and spooked. Successful night in my book!

You had a good night!! :clap:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”