Deer are TOUGH

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stingray713
500 Club

Deer are TOUGH

Unread postby Stingray713 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:56 am

Whatever happened to this guy wasn’t pretty, but he’s tough. What’s your best deer are tough story?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Strategically Inefficient
greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: Deer are TOUGH

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:47 am

Wow!
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:55 am

Interesting how the antler on that side is deformed. Thought the experts always claimed it would affect the opposite side. Maybe he got hit by a vehicle on his right side earlier this summer. The missing leg looks completely healed over though. :think:
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:57 am

Dewey wrote:Interesting how the antler on that side is deformed. Thought the experts always claimed it would affect the opposite side. May he got hit by a vehicle on his right side earlier this summer. The missing leg looks completely healed over though. :think:

I think you’re right… that does look like the opposite side to me anyway.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:03 am

----------
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:06 am

greenhorndave wrote:
Dewey wrote:Interesting how the antler on that side is deformed. Thought the experts always claimed it would affect the opposite side. May he got hit by a vehicle on his right side earlier this summer. The missing leg looks completely healed over though. :think:

Hard to tell with that flash/lighting.
But it looks to me that it's the deer's left hind leg is the one that's been amputated; so with his right antler messed up the opposite-antler theory would be holding true in his case.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:07 am

Hard call…. Both sides look goofy to me. Who knows. Will say most wounded/injured bucks I have seen did match up with what the experts say about opposite side.

Personally have never witnessed anything to serious. Got a video clip by a trusted friend once of a buck dragging his back leg like he was recently smashed by a car. Killed a late season buck years ago that was shot in the ham early season with an arrow. Maggots ate that hindquarter down to the bone. No doubt they have a will to live second to none.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:07 am

greenhorndave wrote:This is nasty…

https://www.bowhunting.com/article/what ... this-deer/

Yes.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:11 am

KRONIIK wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:

Hard to tell with that flash/lighting.
But it looks to me that it's the deer's left hind leg is the one that's been amputated; so with his right antler messed up the opposite-antler theory would be holding true in his case.

Could be. After looking again you may be right. Hard to tell for sure.
Stingray713
500 Club

Unread postby Stingray713 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:33 am

Yeah it’s his left
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:47 am

Years ago my dad hit a big buck at 55+ mph during the rut with his full size Chevy truck. It went under both wheels of the truck ripping off fiberglass side steps and doing plenty of other damage. The buck was laying on the centerline and looked to be dead with blood running out of his mouth. Shortly after he started lifting his head as cars drove by in the other lane. As my dad waited for the police to show up the buck dragged himself off the road and up a steep embankment with only his front legs. By the time the cop got there the buck was back on his four feet and looking down the hill then turned and ran across a picked cornfield like nothing happened. We went back the next day and tracked the buck for quite awhile. Heavy blood and then stopped. Grid searched and never found him. He had to have died from internal injuries but who knows. They never shock me with their toughness. Seen some real crazy stuff over the years. Their will to live is just amazing.
Stingray713
500 Club

Unread postby Stingray713 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:15 am

Dewey wrote:Years ago my dad hit a big buck at 55+ mph during the rut with his full size Chevy truck. It went under both wheels of the truck ripping off fiberglass side steps and doing plenty of other damage. The buck was laying on the centerline and looked to be dead with blood running out of his mouth. Shortly after he started lifting his head as cars drove by in the other lane. As my dad waited for the police to show up the buck dragged himself off the road and up a steep embankment with only his front legs. By the time the cop got there the buck was back on his four feet and looking down the hill then turned and ran across a picked cornfield like nothing happened. We went back the next day and tracked the buck for quite awhile. Heavy blood and then stopped. Grid searched and never found him. He had to have died from internal injuries but who knows. They never shock me with their toughness. Seen some real crazy stuff over the years. Their will to live is just amazing.

Whoa :o
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:39 am

Years ago I worked in a factory in Spring Green.
One of my co-workers pulled into his parking spot one morning, and one of the other guys walking in told him that something was dripping out of the rear of his truck.

They investigated and found a bloody, five-pound venison ROAST inside the formed channel-style rear bumper where it curves forward around the rear corner of the truck's frame.
Up until then, he was sure that he had just missed the deer on the drive in to work.

But he found it still very much alive in the roadside ditch on the way home that evening after his shift ended, missing a big chunk of hindquarter.
Stingray713
500 Club

Unread postby Stingray713 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:47 pm

One afternoon while driving in Charlottesville a young 6 pointer ran out in front of 4 lanes of traffic and the van in front of me hit him. I stopped behind the van and caught a glimpse of something out of the very top of my windshield. The buck landed on all 4s on the roof of my 98 Camry, jumped off and ran across the front of an apartment complex.

I got out and looked at the lady who stopped behind me. By the look on her face, I’m positive she still tells that story 15 years later.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:55 pm

Stingray713 wrote:One afternoon while driving in Charlottesville a young 6 pointer ran out in front of 4 lanes of traffic and the van in front of me hit him. I stopped behind the van and caught a glimpse of something out of the very top of my windshield. The buck landed on all 4s on the roof of my 98 Camry, jumped off and ran across the front of an apartment complex.

I got out and looked at the lady who stopped behind me. By the look on her face, I’m positive she still tells that story 15 years later.

:lol:

Holy mole, that’s a wild one!
----------

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”