Nebraska public

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: Nebraska public

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:51 am

Mopar1169 wrote:
Moose wrote:
Ol Split ( ) Toes wrote:
Moose wrote:It seems like alot of questions have came up lately on scouting new areas right before season. In my mind once you scout it that close to opening day your scent is already all over the place so that would be considered your first sit. Wouldn't you be better off scouting your way in on opening day and setting up on fresh sign? I know it's public but if your scouting areas that no one goes "hopefully" then you just kinda ruined that spot with your scent. Am I over thinking something? Or what am I not understanding about scouting so close to the season opener. If anyone can clarify my thinking I would appreciate it.

I think with out of state hunts time is your biggest issue, it's a gamble to pre scout but you want to be on deer right away, unlike your home state where you have all season and can make adjustments. Every out of state hunt I've done the time just flew by.

I can definitely understand that. Scent has been pounded into my head so much that my thinking is, scouting just a few days before opening day would hurt you more then help you. I understand what Josh is doing but then again wouldn't that hurt his odds with his scent in there now?

I think he is going about it the right way. For a out of state hunt.
My first year hunting ne I was way too laid back worrying about my scent too much. Took 5-6 days to get into good deer. Ended up eating my tag because I didn't cover enough ground fast enough. Last year I dove in just covering ground as fast as I could till I ran into something. Shot my 9 point on the 3rd or 4th day don't remember now. You can't hunt what is not there. Only way to find out what is there go do some door knocking. Out of state blind hunts just gotta cover ground, gonna blow acouple out in the process but it all comes together eventually.

Mopar, have you gone out there this season yet?

----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Mopar1169
500 Club

Unread postby Mopar1169 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:46 am

greenhorndave wrote:
Mopar1169 wrote:
Moose wrote:
Ol Split ( ) Toes wrote:
Moose wrote:It seems like alot of questions have came up lately on scouting new areas right before season. In my mind once you scout it that close to opening day your scent is already all over the place so that would be considered your first sit. Wouldn't you be better off scouting your way in on opening day and setting up on fresh sign? I know it's public but if your scouting areas that no one goes "hopefully" then you just kinda ruined that spot with your scent. Am I over thinking something? Or what am I not understanding about scouting so close to the season opener. If anyone can clarify my thinking I would appreciate it.

I think with out of state hunts time is your biggest issue, it's a gamble to pre scout but you want to be on deer right away, unlike your home state where you have all season and can make adjustments. Every out of state hunt I've done the time just flew by.

I can definitely understand that. Scent has been pounded into my head so much that my thinking is, scouting just a few days before opening day would hurt you more then help you. I understand what Josh is doing but then again wouldn't that hurt his odds with his scent in there now?

My first year hunting ne I was way too laid back worrying about my scent too much. Took 5-6 days to get into good deer. Ended up eating my tag because I didn't cover enough ground fast enough. Last year I dove in just covering ground as fast as I could till I ran into something. Shot my 9 point on the 3rd or 4th day don't remember now. You can't hunt what is not there. Only way to find out what is there go do some door knocking. Out of state blind hunts just gotta cover ground, gonna blow acouple out in the process but it all comes together eventually.

Mopar, have you gone out there this season yet?

I was out there the end of July for 3 days. Did alittle scouting while there with the family. But it was stupid got so didn't get too serious. Then we went to south Dakota for rest of our vacation. I leave two weeks from tomorrow for 11 days. Got 9 days to hunt if I need it. If I tag out early may head up to MN got a archery tag for there too.
rhagenw
Facebook: Rhagen Wiederholt

Unread postby rhagenw » Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:53 am

Mopar1169 wrote:
Moose wrote:
Ol Split ( ) Toes wrote:

Would you say this is a bump and dump scenario? Extremely fresh tracks? Moist droppings? New to beast style but last season I went mostly blind and had more buck encounters hunting mostly terrain but also felt like I was chasing the proverbial 8 ball at times
Mopar1169
500 Club

Unread postby Mopar1169 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:20 pm

rhagenw wrote:
Mopar1169 wrote:
Moose wrote:
Ol Split ( ) Toes wrote:

Would you say this is a bump and dump scenario? Extremely fresh tracks? Moist droppings? New to beast style but last season I went mostly blind and had more buck encounters hunting mostly terrain but also felt like I was chasing the proverbial 8 ball at times

It definitely could be a bump and dump. I was getting the wind in my favor then using terrain as cover. Then walking till I run into something I wanted to shoot. Some places would find a high spot over looking the marshes/lakes then glass and either set up later on a spot picked from glassing or do a ground stalk if conditions are right.

I bring my saddle and sticks with me on the trip. But in two years out there they haven't left the truck. All ground hunting with a guile suit. I got two spots I found last year I will probably take the stand sticks in.

I love hunting out in the sandhills it is just such a break up in routine for what I am used to in Michigan and Minnesota. It is one of the few places I have hunted the only limit is how far I feel like walking.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:39 pm

No you aren’t overthinking.

Don’t scout where you think the bucks are. Scout where you expect other hunters have already scouted and areas you would expect night time movement. You are just trying to find the general area with a deer concentration and what the pressure(if any) will look like. No sense in waiting til opening day to scout your way in only to realize the whole area is a bust.

It’s tough to find a kill tree for opening morning of early season in a new area. Not impossible, but involves a lot of thought and/or luck especially targeting a mature deer.

If you are in an area that you feel has seen zero human pressure then yea I would not step foot in the timber or even the field edges. I would glass the fields an evening before walking any of the edges. What you see (or don’t see)from glassing should tell you what to do next.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:51 pm

Maybe I think about NE like elk hunting out west. You aren't hunting unless you are in to animals. Keep moving until you find specimens. If you aren't moving and bumping you aren't in the game. I would never go out west without a freezer and an aggressive game plan, ie: keep moving until you find animals.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:01 pm

Uncle Lou wrote:Maybe I think about NE like elk hunting out west. You aren't hunting unless you are in to animals. Keep moving until you find specimens. If you aren't moving and bumping you aren't in the game. I would never go out west without a freezer and an aggressive game plan, ie: keep moving until you find animals.

Good advice for hunting big game throughout much of the West.

It's smart to consider the fact that the Lewis and Clark Expedition almost starved because vast areas of the (then-untouched) West that they explored were completely devoid of game.
And it's much the same way today.
DJKraftmatic

Unread postby DJKraftmatic » Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:25 pm

Very creative production Josh. Hope you kill one.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:33 pm

PK_ wrote:

Don’t scout where you think the bucks are. Scout where you expect other hunters have already scouted and areas you would expect night time movement. You are just trying to find the general area with a deer concentration and what the pressure(if any) will look like. No sense in waiting til opening day to scout your way in only to realize the whole area is a bust.

It’s tough to find a kill tree for opening morning of early season in a new area. Not impossible, but involves a lot of thought and/or luck especially targeting a mature deer.

If you are in an area that you feel has seen zero human pressure then yea I would not step foot in the timber or even the field edges. I would glass the fields an evening before walking any of the edges. What you see (or don’t see)from glassing should tell you what to do next.

Thank you for clarifying. I thought Josh was looking for buck beds not sign, maybe Missed that in his video. That's what's great about this site, someone is always willing to explain or answer questions regardless how amateur the questions may be.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:59 pm

Moose wrote:
PK_ wrote:

Thank you for clarifying. I thought Josh was looking for buck beds not sign, maybe Missed that in his video. That's what's great about this site, someone is always willing to explain or answer questions regardless how amateur the questions may be.

Sorry wasn’t speaking for Josh. Just my own experience.

I wasn’t able to have the sound on when I watched the video. But there are plenty of ways to skin a cat. If you have more than just a couple days and a lot of ground to work with then you can go in and blow up a spot if you have to, to figure out exactly what the bucks are doing and then take that knowledge to a different spot, or hunt that spot if you for some reason feel you didn’t muck it up too bad…but it doesn’t take much to muck up early season bucks in most cases.

But I honestly feel most guys are not successful on short out of state hunts due to being too passive not too aggressive. It’s hard to kill something without knowing what’s going on and it’s hard to know what’s going on without diving in, to some degree.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Mopar1169
500 Club

Unread postby Mopar1169 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:21 am

Anybody know if Josh is having any luck?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”