WI Archery Season 2021!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: WI Archery Season 2021!

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:24 am

brkissl82 wrote:They changed the Hi from 88 to 72 on Saturday. Warm front not supposed to come thru until Sunday now

The lower the temp on opening day, the more hunters in the woods.

----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:17 am

greenhorndave wrote:
brkissl82 wrote:They changed the Hi from 88 to 72 on Saturday. Warm front not supposed to come thru until Sunday now

In 35+ years I have never seen heavy opening weekend pressure. A great majority of guys never set foot in the woods till mid October. Only the diehards here take it seriously right out of the gate. :lol:

I find the best barometer is skeeters. That gets rid of the sally hunters real quick.
MitchB

Unread postby MitchB » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:43 am

I have to wait until October 1 so I’ll be living vicariously through you guys for a bit. Good luck Wisconsin beasts!
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:09 am

Dewey wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:

In 35+ years I have never seen heavy opening weekend pressure. A great majority of guys never set foot in the woods till mid October. Only the diehards here take it seriously right out of the gate. :lol:

I find the best barometer is skeeters. That gets rid of the sally hunters real quick.

Last season we had colder temps on Saturday with a lot of rain. I hoped the rain would keep guys out of the woods. I saw a bunch of vehicles parked around the public I was hunting. None at my parking lot thankfully. Upon walking in and setting up I walked up on a hunter who was already setup. I asked where he was parked. He told me a buddy dropped him off. :lol:

Not only were there a bunch of hunters out, they were being creative. I'm hoping it'll be slow on Saturday with the warm temps and lots of bugs.
Wihunter95

Unread postby Wihunter95 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:15 pm

MuskieHunterDave wrote:The weather forecast for Saturday is looking MUCH nicer than it was a few days ago. Only thing to complain about is how still it will be, going to have to be extremely stealthy moving in!
Man I'm so excited to be back out there. Does anyone ever come up with a professional estimate on how many bow hunters go out opening weekend?

I'd be curious to see those numbers too. It's definitely a noticeable amount
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:29 pm

Bucks are the most predictable they’ll be all year these first couple weeks in Sept. I see no reason to not get after em.

Those guys that start in mid Oct dont know what they’re missing. More un molested spots for me i guess.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:19 pm

szwampdonkey wrote:Bucks are the most predictable they’ll be all year these first couple weeks in Sept. I see no reason to not get after em.

Those guys that start in mid Oct dont know what they’re missing. More un molested spots for me i guess.

Hey I started in mid October last year for the first time and shot my buck within 2 hours. Maybe those guys know something we don’t :lol:
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
minnesotahunter
Facebook: No Facebook

Unread postby minnesotahunter » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:47 pm

I can't wait to get into the Wisconsin woods this weekend!
"If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together"
UncleBuck3268
500 Club
Facebook: NONE

Unread postby UncleBuck3268 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:49 pm

Looking like a rare NE wind for Saturday in my area. Deciding between a few different spots I have scouted.Won’t know until I know the actual wind for Saturday. Beyond ecstatic.
Mike20

Unread postby Mike20 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:40 pm

Well, shoot, was looking forward to the opener. Had a couple of new stands up, wind forecasted to be close to nil Saturday morning, then we became shorthanded at work. Ugh. Nothing to do but cry in my coffee.
UncleBuck3268
500 Club
Facebook: NONE

Unread postby UncleBuck3268 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:59 am

Mike20 wrote:Well, shoot, was looking forward to the opener. Had a couple of new stands up, wind forecasted to be close to nil Saturday morning, then we became shorthanded at work. Ugh. Nothing to do but cry in my coffee.

“Mental health day”
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:00 am

Mike20 wrote:Well, shoot, was looking forward to the opener. Had a couple of new stands up, wind forecasted to be close to nil Saturday morning, then we became shorthanded at work. Ugh. Nothing to do but cry in my coffee.

Depends on your job, but just say you are sick and lost taste and smell.

Any of my guys say that, they get an easy week off. But it’s unpaid. I pull that, I just get to work from home. Until they show you can spread it through the phone or laptop :pray:

Not sure what I’m going to do Saturday. Other 2 plant managers are off Saturday so I’m on call for 14 plants that are all running. But then again I’ve been on call darn near 24/7 since mid April so what’s new.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:16 am

Jonny wrote:
szwampdonkey wrote:Bucks are the most predictable they’ll be all year these first couple weeks in Sept. I see no reason to not get after em.

Hey I started in mid October last year for the first time and shot my buck within 2 hours. Maybe those guys know something we don’t :lol:

Yep, no doubt you can kill Bucks in Oct you’d get no argument from me there, none at all.

However, several years ago i had multiple mature bucks come through in a group in the second weekend in Sept and shot the biggest one. That was quite the thrill to have pretty much every stud buck i had a picture of in front of me at one time! This bachelor group was in the same field at almost the same time for weeks prior to the season and i was able to capitalize on it before they all dispersed to their fall core areas. Not likely to see that in mid Oct!

That one hunt made me a believer in hunting yet to be pressured bucks in Sept. that are still on those predictable summer patterns or even still in bachelor groups. But i hunt wire to wire right through Jan now being in SE WI. If i kill a buck early i’ll continue to hunt mature does after that i’m absolutely addicted to bowhunting even though this will be my 32nd season!

Best of luck this year!
wjung

Unread postby wjung » Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:17 am

Why any guy who hunts and agrees to get married in the fall is beyond me, especially on opening day :doh: I will be sitting in a reception hall opening night. At least the beer will be cold.
Looking ahead, forecast is looking good for Wednesday, which is when I plan to get out for an afternoon sit. NW wind, high of 62. Most likely will scout my way into a saddle I found late winter and do a hang and hunt. Can't wait!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”