Spartan fordge mapping app

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Spartan fordge mapping app

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:05 pm

A friend was briefly talking about this, has anybody got anymore information on it. Its supposed to make onx obsolete.

It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
Andyschulte

Re: Spartan fordge mapping app

Unread postby Andyschulte » Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:24 pm

I’ve got a subscription. It just shows weather and expected level of deer movement.

I’m not sure about making OnX obsolete though. It doesn’t currently have a mapping function. Maybe when the app launches it’ll have one.
Andyschulte

Unread postby Andyschulte » Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:24 pm

I’ve got a subscription. It just shows weather and expected level of deer movement.

I’m not sure about making OnX obsolete though. It doesn’t currently have a mapping function. Maybe when the app launches it’ll have one.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:57 pm

It is an AI that uses data from gps collared deer to predict deer movement.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Stingray713
500 Club

Unread postby Stingray713 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:24 pm

I’ve heard several podcasts with Bill Thompson who is the creator of Spartan Forge, and he’s an interesting guy to listen to. His product sounds pretty legit, but I think it’s most useful if you hunt in a place they have collected collared deer data from.

If you hunt swamps in Florida and they have no data set from the deer down there I’m not sure how much it would help. Just an example.
Strategically Inefficient
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:34 pm

I have no problem with this product or anyone who purchases it. But man I just seems like everyone in the hunting industry even the hard core public guys are looking for some kind of easy pill. The hard work, the instincts, the woodsmanship, when it all comes together, that is what makes it so great. Thats the journey, that’s the challenge. Not getting a picture from a cell cam, not having an app tell you when to be in the woods. It’s just getting crazy. Again not knocking on anyone if what you are doing is legal, but non of this stuff is for me. The struggle is what makes the success so sweet.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:43 pm

mipubbucks24 wrote:I have no problem with this product or anyone who purchases it. But man I just seems like everyone in the hunting industry even the hard core public guys are looking for some kind of easy pill. The hard work, the instincts, the woodsmanship, when it all comes together, that is what makes it so great. Thats the journey, that’s the challenge. Not getting a picture from a cell cam, not having an app tell you when to be in the woods. It’s just getting crazy. Again not knocking on anyone if what you are doing is legal, but non of this stuff is for me. The struggle is what makes the success so sweet.

Agree with this 100%. I've run a bunch of traditional trail cameras in the past, but I'm done with that. Compound bow and rangefinder even feels like too much sometimes. I enjoy the hunting, woodsmanship, and these days, the mystery of what's out there more than the size of the buck.

With that said, that's me and what works for me. If it's legal, other people can use whatever they want, no judgment here.
BA-IV

Unread postby BA-IV » Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:13 pm

They plan on releasing an app around the 15th of the month that is similar to onx with mapping but also gps studies on deer movements.

I’m pretty sure I mentioned if Spartan forge was to far, kind of like a cell cam in a bed and only moving in when the deer you wanted was bedded there. People told me I was wrong, and even though I pay a subscription to Spartan Forge, cuz I’m curious like that. At some point, it is going to be to much, it’s going to be a technologically advanced hunting world where woodsmanship has gone to the wayside. That’s what I see anyways, and regardless people will take the easy way out and still kill hammers. Maybe not consistently but it’ll happen more so then before.
Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:41 pm

seazofcheeze wrote:
mipubbucks24 wrote:I have no problem with this product or anyone who purchases it. But man I just seems like everyone in the hunting industry even the hard core public guys are looking for some kind of easy pill. The hard work, the instincts, the woodsmanship, when it all comes together, that is what makes it so great. Thats the journey, that’s the challenge. Not getting a picture from a cell cam, not having an app tell you when to be in the woods. It’s just getting crazy. Again not knocking on anyone if what you are doing is legal, but non of this stuff is for me. The struggle is what makes the success so sweet.

Agree with this 100%. I've run a bunch of traditional trail cameras in the past, but I'm done with that. Compound bow and rangefinder even feels like too much sometimes. I enjoy the hunting, woodsmanship, and these days, the mystery of what's out there more than the size of the buck.

With that said, that's me and what works for me. If it's legal, other people can use whatever they want, no judgment here.

Im not looking for a magic bullet, i just heard it mentioned and was curious. Didnt know people had such strong feelings about it. I believe in boot leather as well but the technology is here, im sure people who had to use paper maps feel the same way about onx and everyone has that. One thing is for sure they will never make an easy pill to kill wild animals no matter how much they try.
It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
Djp32

Unread postby Djp32 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:38 pm

Definitely intriguing, not sure if ill drink the kool aid or not. I don’t have a ton of time to hunt anyways so I’m more along the lines of if i can go i will. They do have a pretty impressive pro staff that endorses their product so that has to have some merit.
roosterstraw

Unread postby roosterstraw » Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:14 am

Does it show historical weather data?
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:34 am

I think it will be interesting to see where it goes. If I can use one app for weather, wind, moon times, and mapping then I’m in. I have been having more issues with Onx recently so am open to something new. The predicted deer movement based on collared deer doesn’t interest me as much but may be helpful. I don’t think it will replace scouting or local knowledge and history or boots on the ground. I think it may be helpful especially to new hunters or people with limited time to hunt which is a good thing.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:56 am

I agree with mipubbucks but I will also say that I will give this app a try. Not so much to find an easy button but maybe I learn something from it that I can apply in how I hunt. I've listened to several of the Spartan Forge podcasts now and if I've learned anything about the app, it's that it's no replacement for boots on the ground and time in the stand.
hcooper84

Unread postby hcooper84 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:52 am

I have the subscription and think the app will be much better, but I definitely don't see it being some kind of magic bullet. Really the only benefit like said is having multiple indicators in one place (wind, moon, movement patterns, etc.) I guess it could help decide if you wanted to hunt that day depending on movement patterns. Or you could decide to hunt tighter to bedding or farther away by a food source, but it doesn't tell you what tree to sit in or when to be there. There is still ALOT a hunter has to do to be successful.

Also how many of these radio collared deer are mature bucks? We can mostly all agree that mature bucks act different than a normal deer.

Do they have radio collared deer that they are currently tracking and basing this off of? Is it just using studies of radio collared deer then predicting todays movement off of historical weather patterns of when deer moved in that study?

I have it because I am curious of its accuracy. It says its AI but that could be very loosely based. I think it can definitely help a hunter out, but anybody who thinks this is there golden ticket... GOOD LUCK.
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:24 am

With respect to tech and the "too much" piece, I think alot of it has to do with appearance/social perspectives but also IMO the real valid piece is hunter recruitment and also time management.

Examples, I for the past six months have been planning to in 10 days head to MO for opening archery week - 15 hours one way. Two weeks ago, work squashed that with a business need. That whole week was eliminated from me for hunting purposes. I have less time each year in the stand. Tech helps me make the most of it. If I had more time, I'd be out there in the loin cloth with my sinew strung bow making a go of it, but sadly that is not reality for me and many others.

Getting a pic of a buck on my phone is just about as much as staying connected to the hunting that I wish I could spend more time doing, as it does about killing that big deer, too.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”