Spartan fordge mapping app

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DeadHeadSpread

Re: Spartan fordge mapping app

Unread postby DeadHeadSpread » Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:29 am

I’ve heard advertisements for Spartan Forge on some podcasts. First thing that crossed my mind when I first heard it was how much I hate technology and how I will never buy this app. During season I spend all week at work looking forward to Saturday when I get to go out bowhunting (PA only allows bowhunting on one Sunday during the rut). I usually take 4 or 5 days off work during the rut and look forward to those all year long. I’m guessing most working guys with kids are in a similar situation. Last thing I want is some stupid app telling me I shouldn’t be in the woods on one of the precious days I get to go hunting because a computer says the deer won’t be moving.

Big Tracks Matter
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:51 am

Good input from Garret and Andy. As I have already stated it’s not for me, but this has been a good discussion. Also to the guy that started this, he has come up with a great idea that many consumers will buy, and he has recruited a bunch of great guys to help him, so for that I give him props. I have no problem with an entrepreneur going out and providing what the consumer wants, same with the cell cams. These companies are innovating and improving all the time, can’t fault them for that. For me the Journey and getting closer to god’s creation, and trying to outsmart a mature deer is what it’s all about. But as boogie stated we are all hypocrites, otherwise I would be shooting a long, bow and I just have not been able to make that happen yet.
thumbsmcgee

Unread postby thumbsmcgee » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:24 pm

And here I thought Spartan Forge was just another competitor to OnX & Huntstand? Guess I'll have to check it out and see what all the fuss is.
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:12 pm

mipubbucks24 wrote:I have no problem with this product or anyone who purchases it. But man I just seems like everyone in the hunting industry even the hard core public guys are looking for some kind of easy pill. The hard work, the instincts, the woodsmanship, when it all comes together, that is what makes it so great. Thats the journey, that’s the challenge. Not getting a picture from a cell cam, not having an app tell you when to be in the woods. It’s just getting crazy. Again not knocking on anyone if what you are doing is legal, but non of this stuff is for me. The struggle is what makes the success so sweet.

My sentiments exactly.
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:19 pm

Ditched my trail cams about 6 years ago or so as well. It just was taking away from hunting for me. Like i was spending more time thinking about where to put a cam, when to check them, wondering about that one lone pic i got of a buck at 3am that may spend all his time 3 miles away, etc.

The mystery of what’s out there reignited my fire for hunting i had when i started. For me, scouting and hunting without really knowing what’s there until i see him makes it so much more enjoyable and exciting when that previously unseen mature buck suddenly shows up in front of me. Gets me fired up thinking about those moments as i type this!
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:29 am

szwampdonkey wrote:Ditched my trail cams about 6 years ago or so as well. It just was taking away from hunting for me. Like i was spending more time thinking about where to put a cam, when to check them, wondering about that one lone pic i got of a buck at 3am that may spend all his time 3 miles away, etc.

The mystery of what’s out there reignited my fire for hunting i had when i started. For me, scouting and hunting without really knowing what’s there until i see him makes it so much more enjoyable and exciting when that previously unseen mature buck suddenly shows up in front of me. Gets me fired up thinking about those moments as i type this!

Amen :clap:
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:25 am

szwampdonkey wrote:Ditched my trail cams about 6 years ago or so as well. It just was taking away from hunting for me. Like i was spending more time thinking about where to put a cam, when to check them, wondering about that one lone pic i got of a buck at 3am that may spend all his time 3 miles away, etc.

Same. I havent ditched them yet bc I like the data but I hate the obligation. I have zero cams out right now and I was a better hunter w out them
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:18 pm

thumbsmcgee wrote:And here I thought Spartan Forge was just another competitor to OnX & Huntstand? Guess I'll have to check it out and see what all the fuss is.

This is from their website, just read it all and take it in. I haven't and probably won't download the product, but my understanding is that currently it is nowhere near "the vision".

The idea for Spartan Forge formed in 2010 while I was serving in Iraq. I realized that the prosecution/finding of terrorist targets and pursuit of trophy whitetails have many parallels. The targeting cycle used in Iraq was called “Find, Fix, Finish” or F3 for short, this cycle soon evolved into F3EAD or "Find, Fix, Finish, Exploit, Analyze, and Disseminate". After several combat deployments, it occurred to me -- This model applies to hunting a big ole buck or a wily doe, just as it did an enemy of the United States. When under pressure, they both want to avoid detection, but still achieve their goals. You can exploit them when you understand their goals and can account for their strengths. Let’s break this model down further and the parallels will become obvious.

1. Find: Who and where is my target? In the military, this phase is called “Intelligence Preparation of the Environment.” It is a necessary precursor to a kinetic operation or strike. A kinetic operation is an attack that is dynamic with many moving parts intended to eliminate an enemy or enemy capability. We identify the target and then the target’s tendencies, figure out how to exploit them, and use this intelligence to make a prediction on where the target will be, when they will be there and for what reason.

2. Fix: How do I prosecute/effect my target? Here we transform the intelligence gained within the “Find” phase into a plan that can leverage that supporting evidence for action against the target. What tendencies were identified? How can we exploit them to mold the battlefield? Can the strengths of our target can be minimized or actively used against itself?

3. Finish: Finally, the commander makes the call that the conditions are favorable, the planning is adequate, and we will engage the target.

At Spartan Forge, our goal is to automate that intelligence collection process as much as possible. We want to draw meaningful conclusions within the context of “Find, Fix, Finish” to help the hunter meet their deer harvest goals whatever they may be. To that end, our first product, named “Outfitter,” will have two releases.

We call the first release “Apollo.” Apollo is an Artificial Intelligence applied to the times when a deer will traverse an area. Using machine learning on millions of deer-associated data points and related weather information, we constructed a neural network that predicts when a deer will be most active during legal hunting hours. These data include peak harvest dates, social media analysis, and GPS data, to recreate a whitetail’s reasoning system that determines when it will move the most or not at all. Apollo will also present what we in the military call a “Common Operating Picture” that will give you an up to date all-encompassing snapshot on what's happening and what it means for your hunt.

The second release, we call “Artemis.” Artemis provides even more insight into where, when, and why deer will move in a particular area. Using artificial intelligence, we taught the network to traverse a piece of property much like a deer would, based on factors like temperature, time and wind direction. The user simply highlights a piece of land, and Artemis will choose bedding areas, travel corridors, and show associated natural choke points. Whether you’re hunting on an old or new piece of land, Artemis will allow you to make sense of it quickly.

These Outfitter applications essentially take care of the find, fix, and finish targeting cycle by identifying variables that may not be obvious, but which are critical to the success of your hunt. Additionally, they will comb over impossibly large tracts of land to help you scout more efficiently, and subsequently tell you when and where you should be in the woods. Or if you find a situation where you aren’t allowed to scout on foot, we will give you some possibilities to choose from to help maximize your odds.

Spartan Forge knows your time is precious no matter what your hunting goals may be. We want to make your hunting experience as productive as possible, minimizing the amount of time needed planning and scouting while still being just as effective. We accomplish this without sacrificing your harvest goals. Whether you are scouting, planning or executing the hunt, start a targeting cycle with Spartan Forge and engineer your own pursuit.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:07 am

elk yinzer wrote:
thumbsmcgee wrote:And here I thought Spartan Forge was just another competitor to OnX & Huntstand? Guess I'll have to check it out and see what all the fuss is.

The second release, we call “Artemis.” Artemis provides even more insight into where, when, and why deer will move in a particular area. Using artificial intelligence, we taught the network to traverse a piece of property much like a deer would, based on factors like temperature, time and wind direction. The user simply highlights a piece of land, and Artemis will choose bedding areas, travel corridors, and show associated natural choke points. Whether you’re hunting on an old or new piece of land, Artemis will allow you to make sense of it quickly.

These Outfitter applications essentially take care of the find, fix, and finish targeting cycle by identifying variables that may not be obvious, but which are critical to the success of your hunt. Additionally, they will comb over impossibly large tracts of land to help you scout more efficiently, and subsequently tell you when and where you should be in the woods. Or if you find a situation where you aren’t allowed to scout on foot, we will give you some possibilities to choose from to help maximize your odds.

Taking the hunt out of hunting! Applications like this are going to get out of hand if allowed to continue. I'm sure I sound like a negative Nancy recently bashing all the tech advancements in the hunting world. But, look at what has happened to our society just because of social media. It's not a benefit to society. Stuff like this is not a benefit to the hunting society. If you really need it to be so easy that you just click an app and it tells you where to hunt, please sell your gear and go to the grocery store.
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:31 am

RidgeGhost wrote:
elk yinzer wrote:

Taking the hunt out of hunting! Applications like this are going to get out of hand if allowed to continue. I'm sure I sound like a negative Nancy recently bashing all the tech advancements in the hunting world. But, look at what has happened to our society just because of social media. It's not a benefit to society. Stuff like this is not a benefit to the hunting society. If you really need it to be so easy that you just click an app and it tells you where to hunt, please sell your gear and go to the grocery store.

100% agree. This attitude of relying so heavily on technology isn’t what getting out hunting is about, the opposite actually. It’s not a good trend to inject more and more technology into hunting.

Just get out and hunt and the successes will be that much sweeter when they come. Feel bad for people who think “there’s an app for that” for literally everything in their lives.
roosterstraw

Unread postby roosterstraw » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:55 am

I just started the trial for the historical weather data and the leaf off imagery on their maps. Unfortunately, the weather is only for 14 days and it’s an average, it doesn’t show day by day. This is unfortunate because if you want to soak a camera for a season you can’t go back to a certain date a few months back. You also can’t graph temperature & BP which I prefer. If the app isn’t a littler better once they release it I likely won’t keep it. Could care less about the AI part.
hcooper84

Unread postby hcooper84 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:12 pm

Still sounds like a lot of negative over reaction to this app. There could be an app that tracked the monster bucks in real time and gave you a birds eye view of them moving through the woods and I still bet most people would have trouble killing that deer. Think of how many times conditions have been perfect for your setup and the buck still gets away. Let’s just let the thing come out, see how it actually effects the “game” and then make our judgements.
Mopar1169
500 Club

Unread postby Mopar1169 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:58 pm

I am gonna stick with onx. I like onx and the whole spartan fordge app would be no use to me anyways. When I have time to hunt I am gonna hunt don't care if the app says it is a bad day. Only get a few days around home to hunt. When I am on a trip I am gonna hunt everyday till I fill my tag or the trip is over.

Even if the app put a x exactly where a deer was I doubt 90% of the people in the woods would even be a threat to that deer. Eventually they will start regulating this type of tech if it goes too far.
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:22 am

There isn’t an app that exists that can teach you how to kill deer. A lot of guys are WAY too reliant on technology when it’s not the answer. Time spent on the woods learning is the answer not some app on your phone. There isn’t a thing on your phone that will make you a better hunter. In fact, if a lot of guys left their phones in the truck i’d bet they would kill more deer.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:09 am

szwampdonkey wrote:There isn’t an app that exists that can teach you how to kill deer. A lot of guys are WAY too reliant on technology when it’s not the answer. Time spent on the woods learning is the answer not some app on your phone. There isn’t a thing on your phone that will make you a better hunter. In fact, if a lot of guys left their phones in the truck i’d bet they would kill more deer.

Yup

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”