Whats your opening day plan?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Wihunter95

Whats your opening day plan?

Unread postby Wihunter95 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:37 am

With season approaching for many of us.....what kind of plans do you have for the opener?

As for myself, if the wind cooperates I'm going to do something crazy in the morning. Looking at a map of a marsh I hunt I found an oxbow with a clump of trees that are different from the surrounding and there are a couple heavy trails coming from it. I'm thinking its bedding even though I haven't scouted it. Im going to kayak in and sneak in the backside and see what happens. Maybe I can at least get some intel.
Untitled.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rfickes87
500 Club

Re: Whats your opening day plan?

Unread postby rfickes87 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:44 am

I just made a post about going in blind. That's a great idea for opening day! Sneak in as slow and quiet as can be if you come across hot sign set up right there!
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
Hookslinger
500 Club

Unread postby Hookslinger » Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:02 am

I'm going to take some time in the morning to drive around and see what kind of pressure my public areas are getting. Then if the wind is okay, I plan to sit a small piece of private I have permission on for an evening hunt. Reason being is the small piece has a couple apple trees which should be dropping and its adjacent to a bean field. I know for a fact at least one big buck there survived last season, so I'm hoping to catch one off guard on a bed to food pattern.
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:18 am

I’m going to take the hunt directly to each and every big buck bedding area i know of and either burn them out or kill the buck.

As insanely over crowded the public woods in SE WI has become since Covid, even in out of the way hard to get to spots, aggressive tactics are in order if you want a crack at Mr Big.

Opening weekend i’ll be on the ground in a ghillie suit 20 yards downwind from a trail running through 300 acres worth of cattails ive spent 2 years watching bucks use from a tree line 200 yards away. Last year i had a permanent stand in that tree line that i abandoned in Oct after two other treestands showed up one day. One 20 yards to my right which totally exposed the guy in it to the deer bedding in the swamp. The other was 30 yards to my left covering the exit trail i was hunting. Picked up his wrappers and two soda cans he left at the base of his tree and left with zero intention of coming back.

I highly doubt a decent buck even remotely went near that spot again the rest of the season with those guys there so this year i’m going to pressure these bucks immediately and aggressively then move on to the next spot to do the same.
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:41 am

Scout in the morning and afternoon and set up on that hot sign for the evening.
Chad Gus 715

Unread postby Chad Gus 715 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:06 am

Opening morning I'm gonna stumble around in the dark with my climber, till i find a tree a like, on the county forest near my house. Then in the afternoon, i will be sitting in my ground blind watching over my 3 acre bean field, looking to fill a doe tag.
equal opportunity hunter
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:19 am

Not sure where I’ll be hunting yet. I will be spending the next 3.5 weeks doing very specific observation sits. The goal is to figure out who is the most killable then go after him.
G-Patt
500 Club

Unread postby G-Patt » Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:07 am

Doe hunt. There's this oak tree they like the best on this piece of public with excellent access. It drops every year. It's a certain type of red oak but the acorns must be particularly delicious based on past observations and attempted kills (daggum arrow deflections!). Gonna pop in there well before sunrise and hope to bag an old nag.
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:31 am

My plan is simple and yet complex.

I'm going kill a deer on public land with my bow.
CTBuckHunterMH

Unread postby CTBuckHunterMH » Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:36 am

I’m not sure exactly where I’ll be on opening morning, it depends on wind direction. One thing’s for sure, it’ll be aggressive
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:11 am

A5BLASTER wrote:My plan is simple and yet complex.

I'm going kill a deer on public land with my bow.

Mind if I steal that plan?
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Scott29
Facebook: Ryan Scott bottlemy

Unread postby Scott29 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:37 am

Depends on the wind. I have tripod stand that I put in a piece of public that doesn't have a tree to get into for 60 acers probably sit there opening morning then I will go to a river crossing close to bedding or a oxbow close to bedding. Depends on the wind.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:52 am

My season opens Friday.
Its 95 degrees heat index over 100.

My targets will be water-transition near water.

Oaks arent dropping and fields are minimal.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:16 am

I will not have plan until see weather forecast for first weekend.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
DeadHeadSpread

Unread postby DeadHeadSpread » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:32 am

I’m gonna go on a big tour collecting the 14 trail cams I’ve had out since late winter during the first heavy rain after Sept 10. Then out of the locations with pics of Shooter bucks, plan an afternoon setup at a location suited for the wind we get on our October 2 opener.

On the morning of the opener I’m just gonna do an observation sit somewhere I can see a long way where I also could luck into a buck coming in range.

A sighting of a big buck on an observation sit before opening day will change the plan.
Last edited by DeadHeadSpread on Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big Tracks Matter

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”