Forgotten hotspot

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

A5BLASTER
500 Club

Forgotten hotspot

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:26 pm

Laying here in my bunk at work. Ready too quit this job lol, so passing the time doing some cypher scouting and got to looking over a wma I haven't hunted in atleast 10 years.

Decided to look at a hard to access oak creek that is in the middle of a pine tree ocean. I killed a nice 12 point here the last time I hunted it right on that pine island. Back then the pines were 10 to 12 foot tall and bout 5 years old. Now they should be 40 to 60 foot tall. Bedding should be awesome in there now.

Think I'm going to throw a all day observation sit at it opening morning and then adjust mid day if need be to put myself into postion for the evening movment as they come to feed.

Will post topo of the spot in a few mints.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

A5BLASTER
500 Club

Re: Forgotten hotspot

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:34 pm

Topo of the area, pine island is dead center of that oak creek.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:29 pm

So spent most of the day when I wasnt busy with work going over my weather data. My log book shows its typical for a coolfront to be here for opening morning and temps to be 50 to 60 degrees average with a northwest wind.

Hopefully we get the same this year.

Did more map studying and noticed they logged right up to the oaks on the west side. That will help with access but will also concentrate hunters to that spot. Thankful bow hunters are few and far between in these parts. So getting there first wont be a problem.

My notes also tell me there was several big white oaks and a good number of but oaks within shooting distance of where I intend to set up for first light. Hopefully they didnt get knocked down in last year's hurricanes.

Cant really see any downed trees on the aerial photo and normally I can zoom it in close enough to see the root wads of downed trees.

Opener is Oct 1st and my log book says prerut is typically starting no more then a week to week and half from opening day.

Going to be fun to get back in there. Planning on doing some vids this year. Mainly to show everybody how the cover lays out in these pine plantations down here.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:50 pm

It will be interesting to see what you get into!
Twigs in my hair, don't care.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”