Beast stand Flex?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wolfie729
500 Club

Beast stand Flex?

Unread postby wolfie729 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:00 am

Been off here for about 6 months but recently did some testing with treestands a LWCG 1.0, Beast stand and Novix helo. After putting them on a scale the 1.0 seemed agreeably between the four of us there not worth it as it came in a 8.6lbs with the seat, and the novix was 9.4lbs for less than half the price. The beast stand with the seat was 7.1 on the same fish scale with the seat installed. But here is where we noticed the biggest difference. The helo was by far the stiffest. The LWCG had flex in the middle and on the edge, very noticeable. But the beast stand when just pushing down with your toes flexed we all figured 3/4” down. Now I am not talking all your weight on the front edge just pushing down with your toes. Is this normal? Also is there a shorter model coming?

Earn what’s never given.
Jackson Marsh

Re: Beast stand Flex?

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:15 am

It will flex some, but it doesn’t concern me and I had all my weight on the end. My Alpha and Echo also flex.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:22 am

There is some flex but it doesn’t concern me the least bit.

I noticed much of it came from the cables settling in when new. Felt like the platform was flexing but in reality it wasn’t nearly as much as I thought.
wolfie729
500 Club

Unread postby wolfie729 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:27 am

Dewey wrote:Image

I noticed much of it came from the cables settling in when new. Felt like the platform was flexing but in reality it wasn’t nearly as much as I thought.

So did it stiffen over time?
Earn what’s never given.
wolfie729
500 Club

Unread postby wolfie729 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:27 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:It will flex some, but it doesn’t concern me and I had all my weight on the end. My Alpha and Echo also flex.

Agree they all flex but the beast flexes atleast twice as much. Why is this?
Earn what’s never given.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:28 am

wolfie729 wrote:
Dewey wrote:Image

So did it stiffen over time?

I’ll let you know after the season. Hard to gage after a few tries.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:36 am

wolfie729 wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:It will flex some, but it doesn’t concern me and I had all my weight on the end. My Alpha and Echo also flex.

Machined (water jet) platform vs cast. Way different metal properties. Dan can answer this much better.
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:36 am

wolfie729 wrote:

With the way it was designed I would be willing to bet the flex was built into it too keep it from snapping while being used on the leaning and crooked trees that Dan infisioned the stand being used in.

With the material thickness used to reduce the weight of the stand you have too use a material and heat treat that allows flex to over come shear force failures.

To stiff and it will snap.

Dan has more time and experience then me in this feild but that's what I see the reason for the flex.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:46 am

A5BLASTER wrote:
wolfie729 wrote:

With the way it was designed I would be willing to bet the flex was built into it too keep it from snapping while being used on the leaning and crooked trees that Dan infisioned the stand being used in.

With the material thickness used to reduce the weight of the stand you have too use a material and heat treat that allows flex to over come shear force failures.

To stiff and it will snap.

Dan has more time and experience then me in this feild but that's what I see the reason for the flex.

Look at valve springs in a motor. They’re engineered to handle millions of compression cycles. Very rarely do you hear of one failing. It’s amazing the abuse certain materials can handle.

Cast iron on the other hand is very strong but it will also snap without warning when reaching a specific stress point.
rhagenw
Facebook: Rhagen Wiederholt

Unread postby rhagenw » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:51 am

I’m not worried about machine aluminum flex, jumbo airplane wings flex an extreme amount...now cast flexing? NO THANKS
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:56 am

Check out this thread. And the video it mentions.

http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=59260
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
wolfie729
500 Club

Unread postby wolfie729 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:17 pm

stash59 wrote:Check out this thread. And the video it mentions.

http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=59260

Thanks I’ll check this out. I trust dan and that just was surprised by the amt of flex
Earn what’s never given.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:56 pm

For those intimidated or concerned over aluminum flexing..... Don't get a window seat over a wing whilst flying ;)
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:33 pm

The "flex" is why we can make it so light. It bends, not breaks. It was professionally weight and stress tested. As long as it goes back to its original shape, whats it hurting? It was designed to do this. when our shorter version comes out it will have less flex, cause a lot of it has to do with how far away from the cable attachment you are... Not sure how a little flexing hunts anything?
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:33 pm

There's some reviews on YouTube about this. The traditional hunter podcast did an outstanding job. You should check it out. Flex won't snap which = good, Ridgid will snap under certain conditions which = bad especially if your standing on it. I'm positive if you buy a beast stand and you don't think it's safe someone will buy it pdq. If it fails and have proof it wasn't from neglect I'm positive Dan will stand by his stand!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”