Seekone dog vs scent control products

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hcooper84

Re: Seekone dog vs scent control products

Unread postby hcooper84 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:11 am

I found this video fun and interesting. Obviously yes, there are some controlled testing flaws, but they openly admit that. I think the overall message is clear though like they say. You can't rely on anything but the wind.

They talk about dogs being predators and deer being prey, but I think they could have really drove this home with discussing deer being prey more. The dog is seeking out the source of the scent. All deer need to do is smell the scent and they run because they are prey not predators. Sometimes you'll get that stubborn doe that wants to pinpoint your location, but I've never seen a mature buck try to investigate further. I feel usually they don't care where the scent is even coming from just that it is there and that they know where they previously just were was safe so they are going back to that location.

There will be people who try to justify their product saying that the dog took longer to find the guy with this or that product. Deer are going to be much more sensitive to that smell though because they are trying not to die. That is not saying that deer smell better than that dog just that they aren't going to stick around to find out exactly where it is.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:31 am

8-)

My favorite part was when he found his hat in the box. Impressive.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:13 am

I watched that last night. Pretty cool to see the dog work. We have an ozone machine like he was talking about for use in houses. Ozone has a very strong oder, I don't see how that would work at all. If we as humans can smell it then what do you think animals can smell?
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:47 am

Moose wrote:I watched that last night. Pretty cool to see the dog work. We have an ozone machine like he was talking about for use in houses. Ozone has a very strong oder, I don't see how that would work at all. If we as humans can smell it then what do you think animals can smell?

I agree
If humans can smell something the rest of the animal
Kingdom definitely can.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:55 am

The only way would be to try to overpower a areas smell.
They would definitely smell it but would be harder to pinpoint.

Such as smoke all over clothes.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:26 am

Again the scent reduction argument arises at the end to try to make the company and products not look like utter failures. If it’s not 100 percent than you can get busted.

The dog won every single time, I don’t see much help at that point. Best to learn how to play the wind.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:46 pm

Amazing! That dog was impressive.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
G-Patt
500 Club

Unread postby G-Patt » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:21 am

Moose wrote:I watched that last night. Pretty cool to see the dog work. We have an ozone machine like he was talking about for use in houses. Ozone has a very strong odor, I don't see how that would work at all. If we as humans can smell it then what do you think animals can smell?
So true. Several years ago I bought a small ozone machine to help eliminate the scent from my clothes. After putting my clothes in an ozone wash for 12 hours, they had that ozone odor. I remember being in a tree stand wearing the ozone clothes and literally watched 2 does smell me from 75 yards away. They didn't care for it much. As for the Nose Jammer, I've had a couple goofy bucks follow my trail to my stand. They seem to like that vanilla scent.
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”