One way in, one way out...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

anelson1

One way in, one way out...

Unread postby anelson1 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:43 am

I have a few spots I'm planning to hunt this fall that have a one way in, one way out situation. Apart from playing the wind, my biggest challenge is a "lookout" bed in both locations - entrance funnel in front of the bed, water behind, so I think it's safe to assume that if the wind is in my face, eyes will be on me. But what about time of day/night where likelihood is lowest that I'll be seen going in and out? One of the spots has corn along the north and south side of a funnel getting into an "oasis" situation (surrounded by corn on all sides but one). I bumped a doe on the far side while scouting so I know they're up in there. Water, oaks, etc. There's just a 30-50 yard wide funnel of CRP grasses (about 175 yards long) that is my only way in or out. Any advice on hiding in plan sight to get into a spot like this?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: One way in, one way out...

Unread postby dan » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:21 pm

I generally hunt those spots on windy days when everything is moving do to the wind. Plan your path as you approach keeping as much cover between you and the bed. Move slow and move when it blows with the wind. I would suggest an earlier approach for your evening stand, say Noon or 1pm while he is larthargic and likely sleaping
anelson1

Unread postby anelson1 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:37 am

dan wrote:I generally hunt those spots on windy days when everything is moving do to the wind. Plan your path as you approach keeping as much cover between you and the bed. Move slow and move when it blows with the wind. I would suggest an earlier approach for your evening stand, say Noon or 1pm while he is larthargic and likely sleaping

Awesome! Thank you Dan! So if I'm looking at going in on a windy day, would you recommend hunting from the ground vs getting up in a tree saddle? There are definitely opportunities for natural ground blinds in there.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:21 am

anelson1 wrote:
dan wrote:I generally hunt those spots on windy days when everything is moving do to the wind. Plan your path as you approach keeping as much cover between you and the bed. Move slow and move when it blows with the wind. I would suggest an earlier approach for your evening stand, say Noon or 1pm while he is larthargic and likely sleaping

Awesome! Thank you Dan! So if I'm looking at going in on a windy day, would you recommend hunting from the ground vs getting up in a tree saddle? There are definitely opportunities for natural ground blinds in there.

If able I would prefer a tree if possible.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”