Tree Safety - How small is too small?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MuskieHunterDave
Facebook: can suck it.

Tree Safety - How small is too small?

Unread postby MuskieHunterDave » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:56 am

I was scouting/moving a trail cam on Saturday and came across a very promising spot. It's in a marsh with lots of dead trees and just a few live ones. There is a well used path cutting through some relative cover, and it appears the deer are using it regularly. The issue I would face, should I hunt the spot, is the tree selection. There are only 2 live trees within range of the path. One is directly over the top of it, but it has great cover. The other is about 10 yds off the beaten path, but is still young and pretty skinny. If I went with the smaller one, I would have a good draw window as the deer pass a thick bush right before they go broadside. I'm just not sure how high I could get in the smaller tree as it's not very thick. Pictures of the trees below:
Smaller (for reference my trail cam is hung, you can see it is barely wider than the cam):
08410f1e-035f-49ee-8380-eaa20438561c.jpg

Thicker, but right on deer path:
1627151725526.jpg

Thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Be still and know that I am God - Psalm 46:10
Jrdeerhuntr

Re: Tree Safety - How small is too small?

Unread postby Jrdeerhuntr » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:13 am

IMO, how small of tree I hunt largely is based on how windy it is. Even if your safe in the small tree when it blowing 20 mph, taking shot while swaying is tough. Back cover on that smaller tree may also be an issue. I do not think you would have a problem hanging a stand in either.
Ryan549
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan549 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:23 am

My opinion, the tree is plenty big.
Ryan
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:28 am

If it's to small for my climbing stand, it's to small to hunt out of and I'm going to be set up on the ground.
Ryan549
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan549 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:50 am

I say the tree is plenty big- however, I’m not there, and I’m not you.
I hope I didn’t come off as arrogant, there certainly have been trees that I have not gotten into- or have tried to and found out that I didn’t feel good about it.
Your comfort and safety is far more important that what a guy on a forum tells you. Go with your gut.
Ryan
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:40 am

That tree is big enough, depending on how high you hunt. If you are standing on the deer trail I actually prefer one of these 2 trees and set up low.

08410f1e-035f-49ee-8380-eaa20438561c.jpg

Or setup on ground and kill when they pass you....if there is a shooting lane at ground level.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:05 am

Looks big enough to get 10 feet in.
Course I'm a lightweight and only you can make the safest decision.

You can always test and if it starts to bend to much or crack in anyway I'd hurry down.. if your in a saddle sitting would really reduce any lean and be safer then in a stand or leaning away from the tree.

Could start at about 1 stick high and test it before going another stick higher.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
JP BowHunter

Unread postby JP BowHunter » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:29 pm

I’d climb either of those trees, just wouldn’t go very high. You could also carry a five gallon bucket on with you so if you didn’t like the looks of things you could just sit on the bucket.

I’ve actually got a little seat that I used to use turkey hunting that has a shoulder strap that makes it easy to carry in. I use it for ground set ups. Keeps me low but off of the ground.
Dhoff
500 Club

Unread postby Dhoff » Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:44 pm

Jrdeerhuntr wrote:IMO, how small of tree I hunt largely is based on how windy it is. Even if your safe in the small tree when it blowing 20 mph, taking shot while swaying is tough. Back cover on that smaller tree may also be an issue. I do not think you would have a problem hanging a stand in either.

Nailed it. Ive been in some real small trees and just try to get to the first crotch if there is one. Never an issue intil its windy...
Maverick1

Unread postby Maverick1 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:52 pm

Jrdeerhuntr wrote:IMO, how small of tree I hunt largely is based on how windy it is. Even if your safe in the small tree when it blowing 20 mph, taking shot while swaying is tough. Back cover on that smaller tree may also be an issue. I do not think you would have a problem hanging a stand in either.

Similar approach here, and a different consideration. Like you stated, I consider the size of the tree and the amount of wind - as I don’t want to be in a tree that sways in the wind too much. As another consideration, I don’t want to be in a smallish tree when it is dead still out with no wind. In those situations, adjusting my body position or drawing the bow can cause the tree to move around like crazy, too. Been busted that way a couple of times. I’d rather be in a smallish tree on a windy day than a still day for that reason alone.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
No sponsors. No camera crew. No team. Just me and my bow. And that’s the way I prefer it.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:26 pm

I've pulled 3 trees together to make one strong enough to hold me up... A tree to small is one that wont hold you up.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:25 am

dan wrote:I've pulled 3 trees together to make one strong enough to hold me up... A tree to small is one that wont hold you up.

Yeah, I probably shouldn’t spill the beans, but this is Dan’s new kill tree after losing all that weight…

----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
MuskieHunterDave
Facebook: can suck it.

Unread postby MuskieHunterDave » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:06 am

Thanks for all the replies!
Jackson Marsh, those two trees are actually dead, they just have some smaller brush/trees in the background that makes them look alive. Some of the trees have vines on them which also make them look alive, but in-person it's clear they're dead. Anyone here sit in dead trees? Seems like a bad idea to me.

I will surely have to feel it out. I like the advantage of being up in the tree to see them coming rather than sitting on the ground. I was about 50/50 last year between in a tree vs on the ground. I spooked a lot of deer on the ground, and never got a shot off.
Be still and know that I am God - Psalm 46:10
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:19 am

MuskieHunterDave wrote:Thanks for all the replies!
Jackson Marsh, those two trees are actually dead, they just have some smaller brush/trees in the background that makes them look alive. Some of the trees have vines on them which also make them look alive, but in-person it's clear they're dead. Anyone here sit in dead trees? Seems like a bad idea to me.

I will surely have to feel it out. I like the advantage of being up in the tree to see them coming rather than sitting on the ground. I was about 50/50 last year between in a tree vs on the ground. I spooked a lot of deer on the ground, and never got a shot off.

There are 3 types of trees: alive, dead, and dead dead. Never ever ever sit in a dead dead tree, but sitting in a dead tree or alive tree is okay.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:04 pm

MuskieHunterDave wrote:Thanks for all the replies!

Check out some of the trees Dan sits in on video.
That one dead tree he sat in on chasing down a dream was pretty dead. Even put a safety harness on it :lol:
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”