Anyone located 2021 target bucks yet?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Anyone located 2021 target bucks yet?

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:22 am

Pulled three cams so far.

Only one had a target on it looked like a 8 or better wide and tall. The Buck looked to be a 4 year old. Racehorse but no belly sag yet. Had im pretty sure this same buck as a 3 year old 130ish 8 last year.
Pic was at night and in 2 weeks I only got one fast moving shot at 1am at a side angle.

Anyone else located targets yet?

Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Trout
500 Club

Re: Anyone located 2021 target bucks yet?

Unread postby Trout » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:33 am

I have never really been a target buck type of hunter. I have deer I hope to encounter but won't hold out for them if something else walks by.

I have a deer that I call the Boulder Buck that I set my sights on last year. Covid jacked up the hunting pressure and I tried adapting to it and hoping to cross paths with him but never did. The closest I got was when he came past one of my cell cameras at 2:30pm while I was at work. I learned a lot last year and got him on camera again this summer and was really happy to see he is still around. I also now know where two of his beds are from spring scouting.

IMG_0135.JPG

I think he is 4.5 years old. He has a very unique track, one of his toes is kind of curved. The first time I saw it I thought it was just where his hoof slid in the soft ground but I've seen it multiple times now and its got that same curvature every time. I'm trying to get a better idea of what his core area is this summer.

20210726_190153.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:46 am

I wont know what I have around until later next month but I'm not holding my breath. The wma's I hunt got super heavily logged this summer.

Looking at aerial photos, looks like most of the premium mature beds are open air dirt now in the middle of hundreds of acres of fresh clear cut.

And I know thos bucks move too private that's not hunted when they get pressured out of those beds.

Almost positive by looking at the aerial photos, I lost 20 are so cameras to the logging.

But there is always hope that one of the big boys didnt move off to private and just moved too another area
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:55 am

A5BLASTER wrote:I wont know what I have around until later next month but I'm not holding my breath. The wma's I hunt got super heavily logged this summer.

Looking at aerial photos, looks like most of the premium mature beds are open air dirt now in the middle of hundreds of acres of fresh clear cut.

And I know thos bucks move too private that's not hunted when they get pressured out of those beds.

Almost positive by looking at the aerial photos, I lost 20 are so cameras to the logging.

But there is always hope that one of the big boys didnt move off to private and just moved too another area

Watch the edges of that cut in 2 or 3 years, they'll be back.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:32 am

I know of a few in areas I turkey hunted, but I have almost zero scouting knowledge of the places. One I might be able to treat as pre/rut, the other… a puzzle that might come together sooner. I only got eyeballs on one before significant antler growth started, but the tracks are legit.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:54 am

I like locating them in the fall.. they are pretty in velvet tho
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:30 am

A5BLASTER wrote:I wont know what I have around until later next month but I'm not holding my breath. The wma's I hunt got super heavily logged this summer.

Sorry I know how hard it can be to deal with extreme logging.
For a year or two it really can be extremely rough.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:29 pm

I know of bucks from last year, but I don’t run trail cams so I’m not sure if they are still alive.

#1. Was a 140 ish on public that chased a doe by
Me last year. If he is still alive I know his early season bedding area and where he likes to chase first of November. Public

#2. Was the 150 class buck I shot and hit forward last year, tracked with a dog and I believe he lived. He should be huge this year. Private

#3. A buck I saw cross the road the other day that is going to end up pushing the 160’s. Private

#4. A 2.5 year old I missed last year, he was probably 100 inches last year. Public

Mostly I just let the sign tell me where to hunt but I know all these bucks areas pretty good, so if they are alive and depending on crop rotation, I have a shot.

There were a couple other 2.5s I saw last year but would not be able to identify them. Also was on a big buck last year on some commercial forest land, and he should be pretty good this year, but no idea if he is alive, but acorn crop should be good on that property this year.

I need to jump into the trail cam game but they are just so expensive for good ones, I am afraid they will just get stolen. The 2 cheapies I got for Christmas are junk, but I need to play with them more.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:12 pm

Yes target bucks located
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:26 pm

I’m waiting for my target buck to show up on Jackson Marsh’s cell cam. :mrgreen:
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:16 am

Dewey wrote:I’m waiting for my target buck to show up on Jackson Marsh’s cell cam. :mrgreen:

:lol: :lol: :lol: You too!?
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:21 am

backstraps wrote:
Dewey wrote:I’m waiting for my target buck to show up on Jackson Marsh’s cell cam. :mrgreen:

:lol: :lol: :lol: You too!?

Dang, I forgot to put that SD card back in!

In case anyone is wondering, the coordinates are 77.42916, -43.17722
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:42 am

I saw one glassing a farm field that has to be all of 160". Looked like a horse compared to the rest of the herd. No public nearby of course, so I might have to consider knocking on a couple doors.
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:56 am

I’ve got a few picked out
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
Jhand
500 Club
Facebook: n/a

Unread postby Jhand » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:13 am

Im waiting a few more weeks to go check cameras, hopefully will have at least one shooter since I haven't seen much out in bean fields this year.

Just curious how are you getting that recent of aerial images? Most sites I look at are at least 2-3 years back, Ive found one GIS site with aerials from the last year but I only have a free trail to it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”