New to Saddles

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Camoface13

New to Saddles

Unread postby Camoface13 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:32 am

Starting to hunt out of state public land this year and want to change my lightweight stand setup to a saddle for various reasons. How do you decide what kind to get and what else goes into deciding what to get for accessories?

Jimmy wallhanger
500 Club

Re: New to Saddles

Unread postby Jimmy wallhanger » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:45 am

go to saddlehunter.com they have your answers
"I don't care if you use it or not, I could care less, There's no money in it for me, Im not making any money from scent-lok... I'm making a little bit of royalties from the saddlehunter suit"
rhagenw
Facebook: Rhagen Wiederholt

Unread postby rhagenw » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:07 am

Prepare for information overload...if using a bow it does take time to get use to shooting with in a saddle and
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:23 am

If you can meet up with a saddle get together and test out several different ones it helps alot. We can all recommend different ones but until you personally sit in them you will not know the right one for you.

I've flipped from Mantis to Kestral Flex to now Cruzer xc.
Each one was more comfortable then the last for me.

You might like a 2 piece saddle more or the 1 piece.
Whichever one you buy id suggest getting a size bigger.

I'm only a 36 waist but prefer a 38-42 saddle. More rear cup and not as tight around hips. Belt on saddles will all fit no matter which size you buy.

As for pouches my favorite is eastern woods outdoor fleece . Though tethrd pouches are pretty good also.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:42 am

For accessories, I bought inexpensive off brand molle ammo dump pouches to hold my ropes. I was using a cheapie strap with hooks to hang gear on the tree but I just upgraded to the Tethrd one. I also just upgraded from basic prussic on the linesman belt to a Ropeman 1 Ascender.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
JP BowHunter

Unread postby JP BowHunter » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:44 pm

I run a Tethrd phantom myself and have no complaints. Like someone else said already make sure you practice a bit. It can take a sit or two to get your system down and your adjustments made for all day comfort.
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:14 am

I didn't want to spend any serious money to find out if I liked it or not, so I started off with a rock climbing harness and a piece of camouflage fleece from Walmart, done up into a sling. Has worked great for me for 3 years now.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
Iabow

Unread postby Iabow » Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:18 am

Same here as Wolverine, I just took some seatbelt strap and made my own basic saddle. I use a safety belt with it as well for just in case but worked alright last season to get my feet wet in saddle hunting. Made a platform from an old tree stand.

Found out I prefer a tree stand but certain situations the saddle will be my choice. It works great for helping new hunters. My sister’s first time ever hunting and I was able to walk her through things by swinging around the tree.

DaveT has a video of fleece saddles, they work and are really cheap to make.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”