Red Moon/overhead or underfoot Moon

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Missionshooter
500 Club

Red Moon/overhead or underfoot Moon

Unread postby Missionshooter » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:20 am

Every year I have the intention of marking my calendar and hunting these days all day to see if I witness the deer activity so many claim, but I never follow through.

Some hunters claim you can "set your watch" by it. Adam Hayes has said that on podcasts.

Anyone have good consistent personal results hunting these red moon times/days when the moon is overhead/underfoot?

I was thinking of buying a moon guide and testing this seriously this season.

STLBowhunter Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKzQUpmjiy8
Trout
500 Club

Re: Red Moon/overhead or underfoot Moon

Unread postby Trout » Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:27 am

There was a biologist on wired to hunt a while back who said the telemetry data showed no correlation. There are some issues with those studies though as they don't tell you when the movement is each day (day vs night). In a different W2H episode, JoeRE said he tracked moon position vs movement extensively and saw no correlation. He did say that he saw daytime buck movement increase on full moon days, but even there, no correlation to moon position.

I am tracking a lot of stuff on my trail cam log, including moon overhead/underfoot times and if I ever delete a couple columns, I bet those will be the first to go. I will always track moon phase though.
Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:31 am

I would think pressure is more of a factor then is the moon phases. People everywhere seems to drive them very close to nocturnal.
It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:57 am

It works but the movement can be more subtle, the deer aren't running around everywhere like crazy. Sometimes the distance isn't huge either, they can get up early and feed in a small area for a long time. Meaning they don't move enough to trigger big movement but they are up and moving and that is all us beasts need.
trob_205
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robertstravisj

Unread postby trob_205 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:48 am

I bought it one year. There might be something to it, but having limited time to hunt I still went on lesser days according to that thing and found success. The thing I hated the most was everything else would line up for me, but the moon it put just that fraction of doubt in my head. I love feeling confident in every sit. Every decision and move made is with the intent and great importance. The doubt just put that little bit of, it’s not going to matter anyway in my head, and I hated that for me. I’d rather think that this is a slam dunk 100% chance sit and it not happen how I planned, than to think anything else.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:39 am

Cold front plus high pressure plus moon OH or UF equals better deer movement from my experience. Any one of these on their own may equal better movement but maybe not depends on a lot of things.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:32 pm

headgear wrote:It works but the movement can be more subtle, the deer aren't running around everywhere like crazy. Sometimes the distance isn't huge either, they can get up early and feed in a small area for a long time. Meaning they don't move enough to trigger big movement but they are up and moving and that is all us beasts need.

I agree w this. It does not mean sitting on a field edge will produce. Get in close to their bed staging areas and youll see it for yourself. Some of the best times for it I think are the rut cruising times.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:08 pm

I don’t have a clue what a “red moon” is. But have noticed a distinct spike in activity in all ruminants when moon is overhead. Underfoot seems to bed them down in everything I’ve seen.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Stingray713
500 Club

Unread postby Stingray713 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:05 am

headgear wrote:It works but the movement can be more subtle, the deer aren't running around everywhere like crazy. Sometimes the distance isn't huge either, they can get up early and feed in a small area for a long time. Meaning they don't move enough to trigger big movement but they are up and moving and that is all us beasts need.

This speaks to what I’ve seen. Shot a buck last October 9th on public land that gets a fair amount of pressure. Overhead moon was at 6:41 am I shot him around 6:45 am just outside of his bedding area. Got pictures of him the mornings of the 7th and 8th in the same spot. He was coming off a bean field about 300 yards away and eating acorns before bedtime. Other mornings his pictures were more around 3:30-5:30am
Strategically Inefficient
Stingray713
500 Club

Unread postby Stingray713 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:12 am

I like the line of thinking too for less pressured spots where deer will move more in the evening on the days leading up to the full moon and more in the morning after the full moon.
Strategically Inefficient
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:20 am

Missionshooter wrote:Every year I have the intention of marking my calendar and hunting these days all day to see if I witness the deer activity so many claim, but I never follow through.

Some hunters claim you can "set your watch" by it. Adam Hayes has said that on podcasts.

Anyone have good consistent personal results hunting these red moon times/days when the moon is overhead/underfoot?

I was thinking of buying a moon guide and testing this seriously this season.

Of course Adam Hayes says that….he owns the company he wants you to buy his product from lol….
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:03 pm

Looks like Oct 11th this year will be the day for the best evening moon
Ol Split ( ) Toes
500 Club

Unread postby Ol Split ( ) Toes » Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:10 pm

Cold front high pressure, moon on the he rise, deer will be on there feet early
Coalcracker

Unread postby Coalcracker » Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:52 pm

https://www.deer.psu.edu/

If you really want to figure it out go to this website. Look at telemetry studies of deer movement in which they show day and night movement. Then, find out what the moon position would have been for the day you selected. A lot of research for you to do but if you really want to know.

Personally, I don't have an answer. I've hunted before/after a front and saw nothing or a bunch. Hunted full moons, overhead, underfoot, rising, setting with same result. If you hunt enough days you will have good results and bad results given the same conditions. I believe it has more to do with where exactly your hunting on a given day and what the deer decide their doing. You could be 50 yards from the deer your entire sit and never see them. Much depends on what the deer decide that given day. Granted, cell cams have taken things to a higher level but even then a deer could do something different the day you hunt.

Confident hunters are confident anywhere, anytime because of their hard work, knowledge and experience.

Hunt when you can hunt.
Shoot Straight
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:32 pm

I’m ashamed to say i paid for the moon guide once and did as you plan on doing and hunted hard on the days it said to.

It’s a hoax.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”