Over coming obstacles... The Jacob Sklenar story

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

seazofcheeze
500 Club

Re: Over coming obstacles... The Jacob Sklenar story

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:37 am

Public Prowler wrote:
seazofcheeze wrote:Great video!

Thank you! You replied to my “year in a buck bedding area” trail cam story post and brought out the idea of the bedding area possibly being doe bedding. After further consideration and scouting I found that it was in doe bedding with buck bedding around 100 yards from there (it was on the same property that I shot this buck). You can actually see the buck that was taken in this video on the pictures from that camera! I used that example to pattern another doe bedding area in which I took this buck on.

That's awesome, way to put together the pieces of the puzzle and get it done! Congrats again!

Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:21 am

Public Prowler wrote:
Grizzlyadam wrote:Good stuff, congrats to the both of you!!
I may have missed it but was there any autopsy report, where was the hit and how did it kill the buck?

The arrow was on a great path but it was disturbed when the deer turned to face me more as the arrow was flying. The arrow hit the inside edge of the humerus near where it joins with the scapula. A piece of the humerus was chipped off by the broadhead and the arrow deflected down. The broadhead went between two ribs (clipping one) and wedged its point on the inside of the deer’s sternum just below its heart. As the deer moved, the broadhead continued to poke and cut the heart, killing the deer. There was a mark on the heart that was indicative of the arrow puncturing it, but for how far it traveled this was likely caused by the heart moving as the deer ran and not the arrow hitting it outright. The broadhead was wedged firmly into the sternum so it wasn’t moving around as the deer ran.

That is a good example of putting in due diligence, sticking with it and finding a dead deer rather than a dead head. Congrats again to you and your buddies that helped!!!
minnesotahunter
Facebook: No Facebook

Unread postby minnesotahunter » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:28 pm

Public Prowler wrote:
Grizzlyadam wrote:Good stuff, congrats to the both of you!!
I may have missed it but was there any autopsy report, where was the hit and how did it kill the buck?

The arrow was on a great path but it was disturbed when the deer turned to face me more as the arrow was flying. The arrow hit the inside edge of the humerus near where it joins with the scapula. A piece of the humerus was chipped off by the broadhead and the arrow deflected down. The broadhead went between two ribs (clipping one) and wedged its point on the inside of the deer’s sternum just below its heart. As the deer moved, the broadhead continued to poke and cut the heart, killing the deer. There was a mark on the heart that was indicative of the arrow puncturing it, but for how far it traveled this was likely caused by the heart moving as the deer ran and not the arrow hitting it outright. The broadhead was wedged firmly into the sternum so it wasn’t moving around as the deer ran.

I hope you're going to college to be a medical examiner or something because you won't have much studying to do!
"If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together"
Public Prowler

Unread postby Public Prowler » Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:00 pm

I hope you're going to college to be a medical examiner or something because you won't have much studying to do![/quote]

Hahaha I wish! I’m going for Mechanical Engineering but my coach always jokes that I should have an honorary minor in “Animal Population Management” (he actually announces that as my minor during home meets :lol: )
Scout, scout, scout, scout, scout, hunt, then scout again.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:51 pm

Public Prowler wrote:I hope you're going to college to be a medical examiner or something because you won't have much studying to do!

Hahaha I wish! I’m going for Mechanical Engineering but my coach always jokes that I should have an honorary minor in “Animal Population Management” (he actually announces that as my minor during home meets :lol: )[/quote]
Just a side note... Not sure if your aware of this, but Mario new exactly who you were and said he was helping coach or something like at your high school when you were there wrestling
Public Prowler

Unread postby Public Prowler » Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:41 am

Dan, that’s awesome! I’ll have to get together with him and hunt sometime. If either of you want to watch a wrestling meet and hunt the next day I’ve got a place for you both to stay and many places for you both to hunt.
Putt400
500 Club

Unread postby Putt400 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:31 pm

What a great video and thanks for sharing. You proved to yourself and all of us viewing how things can turn into success even when the deck was so stacked against you. My hat is off to your tenacity and persistence not to give up. :clap:
“No matter how good or bad your life is, wake up each morning and be thankful you still have one”...Zig Ziglar
Public Prowler

Unread postby Public Prowler » Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:12 am

Putt400 wrote:What a great video and thanks for sharing. You proved to yourself and all of us viewing how things can turn into success even when the deck was so stacked against you. My hat is off to your tenacity and persistence not to give up. :clap:

That means the world to me, Putt! I appreciate the kind words. This season is starting with a little adversity too. I asked for permission from a private land owner to access the public from his land and he said no because many people ask and he would feel bad only giving some permission to access and doesn't want the pressure of dozens coming through his land each week. I asked him if he had shot any nice deer from this past season and he showed me two fantastic bucks. One of which was scored and it was 164. The other was yet to be scored and it was substantially bigger. From across the room and through the clutter I could still tell which buck was the second buck. It was my #1 from last season and the biggest deer I had ever gotten on camera. He was taken 200 yards from where I was sitting, hunting for him. This buck was easily 170" on Public... Back to the drawing board! That day I walked 15 miles looking for new buck core areas and reassessing land I have scouted every inch of several times. Time to find a new big boy to hone in on.
Putt400
500 Club

Unread postby Putt400 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:36 am

Public Prowler wrote:
Putt400 wrote:What a great video and thanks for sharing. You proved to yourself and all of us viewing how things can turn into success even when the deck was so stacked against you. My hat is off to your tenacity and persistence not to give up. :clap:

That means the world to me, Putt! I appreciate the kind words. This season is starting with a little adversity too. I asked for permission from a private land owner to access the public from his land and he said no because many people ask and he would feel bad only giving some permission to access and doesn't want the pressure of dozens coming through his land each week. I asked him if he had shot any nice deer from this past season and he showed me two fantastic bucks. One of which was scored and it was 164. The other was yet to be scored and it was substantially bigger. From across the room and through the clutter I could still tell which buck was the second buck. It was my #1 from last season and the biggest deer I had ever gotten on camera. He was taken 200 yards from where I was sitting, hunting for him. This buck was easily 170" on Public... Back to the drawing board! That day I walked 15 miles looking for new buck core areas and reassessing land I have scouted every inch of several times. Time to find a new big boy to hone in on.

:o I’ve been in the same boat and can relate. I had this buck on camera and followed him for the 2015 & 2016 seasons when another hunter put his tag on him during the 2016 rifle season. I was happy to see the success of another but bummed at the same time knowing I had to start over with a clean slate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“No matter how good or bad your life is, wake up each morning and be thankful you still have one”...Zig Ziglar

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”