2021 public land challenge?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hookslinger
500 Club

Re: 2021 public land challenge?

Unread postby Hookslinger » Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:15 pm

Let's see the crew in the salt marshes of NJ.... that would be interesting.

KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:11 pm

I think we would all love to see "The Challenge" happen in our area...so we could compare ourselves to these highly skilled hunters, (we all have ego's), but also to learn from them and see how they tackle the local "hurdles".

With that said, for somewhat selfish reasons, I would love to see a northwoods (wolf country) challenge. It would be pure hunting without conflict from human pressure. That's pretty rare. Just man VS deer. What a learning tool that could be! Hunting bucks based just on knowledge of deer behavior, terrain and fresh sign...it doesn't get any better then that! Human intrusion sucks.

I don't follow THP, but I realize these talented, likeable young guys are making a livelyhood with this youtube hunting stuff, so they have to balance many factors. (I'm a small business owner myself). These guys need to reach a big audience. Perhaps, hopefully, they will switch from Indiana to some northwoods location this year for "The Challenge". It would be the perfect compliment to Dan's release of the Bigwoods DVD. Frankly, they wouldn't be where they are today without Dan starting this Beast website. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge! Northwoods please!
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:48 am

I agree. A big woods northwoods hunt would be absolutely awesome. Even though less deer sightings (who cares) the footage and the strategy would be NEXT LEVEL.

As someone else said, it’s called a CHALLENGE for a reason!
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
Findian
500 Club

Unread postby Findian » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:10 am

I honestly don’t think they will have a hard time in the north woods. I think they would do better then average.
HuntingParadise
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/hunting.paradise.56

Unread postby HuntingParadise » Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:12 am

dan wrote:I think the group would do better in the North woods than most think. It would be a challenge, and I think whether we killed bucks or not, some tactics would be showed that would help viewers learn a thing or 2.... With that said, nothing wrong with better destinations too... I think covering areas where viewers hunt helps those viewers.

I agree with your statements. My favorite part of the challenge is the different tactics and what everyone does in that scenario. Northern WI, Minnesota, and Michigan to me would be good for a year just to see how people do it especially ones that have compared to havent hunted it. I think it would shed light to a lot of hunters that are pessimistic in those areas about how the crews are able to get on Bucks.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:17 am

HuntingParadise wrote:
dan wrote:I think the group would do better in the North woods than most think. It would be a challenge, and I think whether we killed bucks or not, some tactics would be showed that would help viewers learn a thing or 2.... With that said, nothing wrong with better destinations too... I think covering areas where viewers hunt helps those viewers.

I agree with your statements. My favorite part of the challenge is the different tactics and what everyone does in that scenario. Northern WI, Minnesota, and Michigan to me would be good for a year just to see how people do it especially ones that have compared to havent hunted it. I think it would shed light to a lot of hunters that are pessimistic in those areas about how the crews are able to get on Bucks.

Yup. I’m sure they would come into my local marsh and make me look like a rookie. I’m sure some would feel threatened if the group showed up in their area and did better than them. I would find it very interesting and excited to see the tactics used to be successful.
BlakeH

Unread postby BlakeH » Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:52 am

Trout wrote:
thwack16 wrote:
rhagenw wrote:
Tennhunter3 wrote:
thwack16 wrote:
minnesotahunter wrote:
thwack16 wrote:I was thinking they'd mentioned going to Indiana in the past as well.

Count me as one that would prefer to see them in a known big buck state. Minnesota has been my favorite thus far.

Indiana or Illinois would be great and probably makes the most sense for the Midwest.

Could see Nebraska, Kentucky, or Oklahoma. THP has spent a decent bit of time in each of those three though.

Mizzou would be great but public land filming laws make it tough.

Arkansas or Mississippi delta would be good as well.

I've never heard of this?

Been a rule on Mizzou conservation areas that you couldn’t film for profit. It’s why thp has always hunted a corps lake in Mo.

Appears a new rule was put in place as of 7/1 allowing it with a commercial filming permit. $500 daily. https://mdc.mo.gov/newsroom/mdc-expands ... tion-areas

I know there are several federal refuges(maybe all) where a commercial filming permit has to be obtained as well. 99% sure Thp mentioned that they had to obtain one to hunt the federal refuge they hunted in Ms.

Seems like Missouri is trying to drive people away from hunting and wildlife. Very sad to see..
Without some video publicity new generations may not ever get interested in being out in nature.

Them wanting 500 permit is just saying well if you bribe us enough we will overlook what your doing. Bunch of crooks in Missouri fish and wildlife.

I disagree...it all stems from people making a profit off of state land with making videos...the ban on game camera encourage woodsman ship over money spent on cell cams...Missouri has some of the cheapest tags in the nation and very well manage deer herd if one is satisfied with 3.5 year olds...we have tons of in state and out of state hunters most likely top 3 out of state trips

Yeah I don’t typically engage in arguments, but Missouri Department of conservation is very, very well run. The public lands are very well kept as well. One of the few states, if not the only, where there’s a conservation tax tacked on to your sales tax.

I really enjoy watching THP, pinhoti, etc, but it’s hard to argue the damage that they’re doing to specific public areas.

Iowa point creep is really badly inflated. I’m part of that. I feel sure the majority of that is directly related to thp.

I know people that hunted the buck nest the year after thp hunted it. I know multiple people with pins all over southern Iowa taken directly from thp videos. I have a friend that drew this year and scouted this spring. Where’d he scout? Pins taken from thp videos. Not my style, but can’t exactly disagree with someone from taking free information.

I know I could pin you the spots they’ve deer hunted in Mo, KS, KY, TN, and MS(they even hunted an exact location I’ve scouted) without any problem at all. I likely could do OK, AL, and GA as well.

And that’s not even getting into all the problems that has been brought to areas with the turkey hunting. Go look at how many Wisconsin non resident turkey tags were sold in 2020, 2019, 2018, etc. and then how many were sold in 2021. Then go watch the videos from May of 2020. Direct correlation.

Once again, I really enjoy the videos. But I don’t disagree with a state restricting it and can’t say that I don’t welcome it.

Not saying that THP and others haven't created pressure in certain places, cause they most certainly have, but I think that the bigger driver of the hunting pressure spike we've all seen over the last 18 months has more to do with Covid. There are places I fish that I've rarely seen another boot track, and over the last year its gotten so bad I won't even bother and have adjusted to the pressure. At trailheads I hike where I used to never see another vehicle, now I drive by and there are 12 cars parked there in the middle of the week. The fly fishing industry had its biggest boom ever in the 90's after a river runs through it came out, the boom its experiencing now blows that away and it goes for all outdoor recreation. I think this boom we are seeing is going to last a while, and all the newbies to hunting couldn't be getting into things at a better time with all of the educational resources out there such as this forum. They will be successful faster than any of us were, and it will result in them sticking around longer. And our natural resource departments are gonna have to earn their paychecks cause they won't be able to blame declining license dollars or pittman-robertson/dingell-johnson funds for their lack of productivity. We're going to need them to step up now more than ever.

This is most definitely part of it. I am an adult onset hunter that started last year. My interest has gone back a long time, I just never took the steps to get into it. Just looking at the spring turkey harvest data in Indiana, you can see that 2020 was a major surge, followed by more “normal” numbers this year.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
simpzenith
Facebook: http://www.Facebook.com/simpzenith

Unread postby simpzenith » Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:22 am

thwack16 wrote:
rhagenw wrote:
Tennhunter3 wrote:
thwack16 wrote:
minnesotahunter wrote:
thwack16 wrote:I was thinking they'd mentioned going to Indiana in the past as well.

Count me as one that would prefer to see them in a known big buck state. Minnesota has been my favorite thus far.

Indiana or Illinois would be great and probably makes the most sense for the Midwest.

Could see Nebraska, Kentucky, or Oklahoma. THP has spent a decent bit of time in each of those three though.

Mizzou would be great but public land filming laws make it tough.

Arkansas or Mississippi delta would be good as well.

I've never heard of this?

Been a rule on Mizzou conservation areas that you couldn’t film for profit. It’s why thp has always hunted a corps lake in Mo.

Appears a new rule was put in place as of 7/1 allowing it with a commercial filming permit. $500 daily. https://mdc.mo.gov/newsroom/mdc-expands ... tion-areas

I know there are several federal refuges(maybe all) where a commercial filming permit has to be obtained as well. 99% sure Thp mentioned that they had to obtain one to hunt the federal refuge they hunted in Ms.

Seems like Missouri is trying to drive people away from hunting and wildlife. Very sad to see..
Without some video publicity new generations may not ever get interested in being out in nature.

Them wanting 500 permit is just saying well if you bribe us enough we will overlook what your doing. Bunch of crooks in Missouri fish and wildlife.

I disagree...it all stems from people making a profit off of state land with making videos...the ban on game camera encourage woodsman ship over money spent on cell cams...Missouri has some of the cheapest tags in the nation and very well manage deer herd if one is satisfied with 3.5 year olds...we have tons of in state and out of state hunters most likely top 3 out of state trips

Yeah I don’t typically engage in arguments, but Missouri Department of conservation is very, very well run. The public lands are very well kept as well. One of the few states, if not the only, where there’s a conservation tax tacked on to your sales tax.

I really enjoy watching THP, pinhoti, etc, but it’s hard to argue the damage that they’re doing to specific public areas.

Iowa point creep is really badly inflated. I’m part of that. I feel sure the majority of that is directly related to thp.

I know people that hunted the buck nest the year after thp hunted it. I know multiple people with pins all over southern Iowa taken directly from thp videos. I have a friend that drew this year and scouted this spring. Where’d he scout? Pins taken from thp videos. Not my style, but can’t exactly disagree with someone from taking free information.

I know I could pin you the spots they’ve deer hunted in Mo, KS, KY, TN, and MS(they even hunted an exact location I’ve scouted) without any problem at all. I likely could do OK, AL, and GA as well.

And that’s not even getting into all the problems that has been brought to areas with the turkey hunting. Go look at how many Wisconsin non resident turkey tags were sold in 2020, 2019, 2018, etc. and then how many were sold in 2021. Then go watch the videos from May of 2020. Direct correlation.

Once again, I really enjoy the videos. But I don’t disagree with a state restricting it and can’t say that I don’t welcome it.

How many were sold each of those years?
Public Land Deer & Turkey Hunts: http://www.YouTube.com/simpzenith
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:22 am

Not sure why Wisconsin would sell more turkey tags just by thp hunting it. Theirs good turkey hunting in most states.

It may have something to do with season dates of Wisconsin vrs surrounding states.

For example if my Tn deer hunting started when Kentucky started I would never hunt Kentucky. The out of state pressure would to a large degree be fixed if States would have similar starting dates.

Why would a guy not drive from Indiana ,Ohio ,TN to hunt Kentucky. Its states Opening dates or lack their of in my opinion.

Thats 3 extra weeks of hunting for me way to much not to hunt. Indiana it's a month difference.

Ky sept 5 to Indiana Oct 1 .
A month difference in hunting for crossing a state line pretty ridiculous. Dnrs and State management created this issue its not Thps fault in my opinion.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
SeaHunter

Unread postby SeaHunter » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:46 am

3531usmc wrote:
Tsom wrote:They really ought to get up into the northeast with a little lower deer density.. it's a challenge right? :think: ;)

Would be interesting and helpful to see them in New England!!

I would love to see them hunt in Massatwoshits. In the East lots of deer but lots of people, small wood lots and high hunting pressure, out West is lots of woods and ag but lower deer numbers and still a lot of hunting pressure. And although not known for big deer quite a few slobs get taken every year. I think the Northwoods and UP are probably a lot like New Hampshire and Maine, lots of big woods and space between deer, less people.

Like many here, I would like to see them hunt where I hunt to see how they do it and maybe learn something. I do think it's great to see Dan and the THP guys and others getting young people excited to hunt with their video's.
Stupid ought to hurt
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:58 am

I have thought about it recently and while I’m just as curious as the next guy about how these killers would do on my turf. I just don’t want it to happen in my area. I got enough problems :lol: More people flocking to the woods because they watched this area on YouTube does no benefit to me. So I would rather have the curiosity in my head than additional hunters in the woods. Sadly, I’m also not the type to think we need all these new hunters. Personally think we have way to many as it is now for the available habitat. On a positive I believe I’m safe. 1% public land opportunity with strict antler restrictions seem to keep most out of state hunters at bay. Even the good public is hours from me so I personally don’t feel I will ever get a influx. Keep that stuff in Yankee territory :lol:
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:48 am

Boogieman1 wrote:I have thought about it recently and while I’m just as curious as the next guy about how these killers would do on my turf. I just don’t want it to happen in my area. I got enough problems :lol: More people flocking to the woods because they watched this area on YouTube does no benefit to me. So I would rather have the curiosity in my head than additional hunters in the woods. Sadly, I’m also not the type to think we need all these new hunters. Personally think we have way to many as it is now for the available habitat. On a positive I believe I’m safe. 1% public land opportunity with strict antler restrictions seem to keep most out of state hunters at bay. Even the good public is hours from me so I personally don’t feel I will ever get a influx. Keep that stuff in Yankee territory :lol:

I want more hunters, I just want them to hunt their uncles private :lol:
Tsom
500 Club

Unread postby Tsom » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:05 am

I'm actually surprised how few hunters I run into every season in southern nh. Especially bow season. Not much pressure at all and never seen out of staters other than from mass in my area and even then it's only a few. A few more guys wouldn't bother me.
3531usmc

Unread postby 3531usmc » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:41 pm

Tsom wrote:I'm actually surprised how few hunters I run into every season in southern nh. Especially bow season. Not much pressure at all and never seen out of staters other than from mass in my area and even then it's only a few. A few more guys wouldn't bother me.

I was just thinking about nh the other day. Had a hard time finding public hunting maps! Also I hear your able to hunt private as long as it’s not posted any truth to that? I would still like to ask permission though!
Tsom
500 Club

Unread postby Tsom » Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:43 am

3531usmc wrote:
Tsom wrote:I'm actually surprised how few hunters I run into every season in southern nh. Especially bow season. Not much pressure at all and never seen out of staters other than from mass in my area and even then it's only a few. A few more guys wouldn't bother me.

I was just thinking about nh the other day. Had a hard time finding public hunting maps! Also I hear your able to hunt private as long as it’s not posted any truth to that? I would still like to ask permission though!

It's highly recommended by the NH fish and game to ask permission but legal not to.
https://wildlife.state.nh.us/hunting/where-hunt.html
On x is handy for landowner info but have to pay subscription. I ask permission on some, but most I don't and have never had an issue. Not much different hunting public or private here. We have ridiculous property tax and you can put your land in "current use" which reduces the tax rate on that portion of your land , but opens it up for public use including hunting.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”