big woods deer hunter podcast with Dan

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Uncle Lou

Re: big woods deer hunter podcast with Dan

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:30 pm

I'll have to give it a listen in the shop tomorrow and see what I am doing wrong.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:59 pm

Listened to this one this evening while fixing my son's girlfriend's brakes. It was a fun listen. Enjoy that new bow!

On a related note, you ever thought about putting together a single thread kind of like the all time best tactical threads, but with all of the podcasts you've done, and all the podcasts beast members have done? I bet it would be quite a list, but a great way to be able to go back and listen to a lot of older/forgotten ones.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:21 pm

Trout wrote:Listened to this one this evening while fixing my son's girlfriend's brakes. It was a fun listen. Enjoy that new bow!

On a related note, you ever thought about putting together a single thread kind of like the all time best tactical threads, but with all of the podcasts you've done, and all the podcasts beast members have done? I bet it would be quite a list, but a great way to be able to go back and listen to a lot of older/forgotten ones.

Thats a good idea...
bigredneck61088

Unread postby bigredneck61088 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:06 pm

Pending and waiting for my commute in the am! Looking forward to it
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:20 pm

Trout wrote:Listened to this one this evening while fixing my son's girlfriend's brakes. It was a fun listen. Enjoy that new bow!

I like that idea alot! There's always so much information Ive listend to farm country podcasts a couple times and still pick up some new information when I listen to it again.
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:46 pm

Oh yea. This will be a good one. Love talking big woods 8-)
“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:26 am

Really liked the last 30 minutes. Good food for thought. Hit home, especially taking teenagers hunting the past couple years and watching them work through challanges.
Dhoff
500 Club

Unread postby Dhoff » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:08 pm

Looking forward to listening to this during work tomorrow. Helps out a monday.
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:49 pm

Evanszach7 wrote:Really liked the last 30 minutes. Good food for thought. Hit home, especially taking teenagers hunting the past couple years and watching them work through challanges.

Couldn't agree more. Its been about 5 years since my son was young enough for the Michigan youth deer hunt. We did it his last 3 years of eligibility. The first year we belly crawled together through knee high grass to get within his comfortable range on a group of a half dozen or so doe's browsing at dusk in a public land meadow. We knew they would be there from scouting together the weeks leading up to his hunt. But got tied up at a football game and couldn't get set up in the makeshift ground blind we built before the does got to the meadow. My heart was pounding out of my chest, and I bet if I listened, I could have heard his over mine. He dropped the biggest doe in her tracks and as we got ready to gut her realized we didn't have a knife. He sat in that meadow by himself in the dark with his first deer, in his socks, with no flashlight cause we forgot that too :lol: , by himself for over an hour while I hiked out and ran to a nearby family member's house to borrow a knife. Coyotes howled nearby and I'm sure he was terrified. I went and picked up his grandpa on the way back and we talked him through the field dressing process. Its one of my proudest moments ever as a father.

Fast forward to the Monday after and he came home from school and told me about sitting at the lunch table with his friends. Some of them shot real nice bucks from box blinds on prime private land they'd never sat in before, and boys being boys, teased my son for shooting a doe. Its hard to take the high road and explain to your 14 year old son to be happy for those kids and at the same time still be proud of what he accomplished. I wasn't sure I said got through to him.

The next year we were somewhere else and a similar situation unfolded. The deer were 300yds away from where we set up our pop up blind and he knew what to do. We belly crawled within range and he shot the biggest doe. He came home from school the following Monday and told me how he bragged to his friends about how he had shot two deer, and both were spot and stalk. Thats when I knew he got it.
Preston715
Facebook: Preston Nasi

Unread postby Preston715 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:44 am

I'm not much of a podcast listener but I do have to say that was a thoroughly enjoyable listen! :clap: Good luck with the new bow! I'm heading into my second season of the beast hunting ways but it's a journey that gets me excited to challenge everything that I have ever known about hunting. The topic on hunting camps really hit home with me. I've been fortunate enough to be a part of the tradition of a hunting camp in the Northwoods. Along with the group of great people that take part in carrying that tradition along every year. Like you said you had to earn your stripes, while mostly through going out and just giving it your best albeit by success and failure. That bit there really took me on a ride down memory lane and put a smile on my face! Along with your message of what you're trying to accomplish, being a good person. Not only trying to help people become successful hunters but by helping hunters become better people. Man thats a statement that many hunters can live by!

I have to say I really appreciate everyone here on this forum more than I can put into words, it's more than just killing the biggest buck or being the most successful hunter, it's a way of life!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”