Method for dragging out deer

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Method for dragging out deer

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:03 am

What is everyone using to drag out deer? Sleds, carts, packs? Is there any other slick ways of doing this?

It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
MichiganMike
500 Club

Re: Method for dragging out deer

Unread postby MichiganMike » Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:22 am

I use a sled in the marsh and swamps, and a cart in the high ground. If their is snow- Ill just use a sled
Colddriver

Unread postby Colddriver » Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:26 am

cart unless snow then sled.
BRoth82
500 Club

Unread postby BRoth82 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:28 am

Gutless method, then quarter them up and pack them out if it's legal. If not then a combination of dragging, cart or sled depending upon conditions.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:35 am

Strong like BULL

SMART like Tractor :mrgreen:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:37 am

9/10 times i will go with gutless method and pack out even if I'm fairly close to the truck but I always have the ice fishing sled during season and have chosen to gut and sled them out when its all downhill. I'll never drag a deer out again.
20201122_135856.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JP BowHunter

Unread postby JP BowHunter » Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:49 am

BRoth82 wrote:Gutless method, then quarter them up and pack them out if it's legal. If not then a combination of dragging, cart or sled depending upon conditions.

I started doing this also this past season and it makes things so much easier. It’s all work you have to do anyway if you process your own deer and it saves the time of field dressing, and dragging the deer out. I bought an eberlestock x2 for this season and plan to use it to pack out my meat.
BRoth82
500 Club

Unread postby BRoth82 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:01 am

JP BowHunter wrote:
BRoth82 wrote:Gutless method, then quarter them up and pack them out if it's legal. If not then a combination of dragging, cart or sled depending upon conditions.

I started doing this also this past season and it makes things so much easier. It’s all work you have to do anyway if you process your own deer and it saves the time of field dressing, and dragging the deer out. I bought an eberlestock x2 for this season and plan to use it to pack out my meat.

I have been this this down in Nebraska over the last few years and if legal I'll never use a different method. I've been running a Mystery Ranch Pintler, great day pack that has a meat shelf rated for 150 pounds. Awesome pack for sure.
rhagenw
Facebook: Rhagen Wiederholt

Unread postby rhagenw » Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:36 am

What would be a good dedicated pack for packing out meat?
BRoth82
500 Club

Unread postby BRoth82 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:43 am

rhagenw wrote:What would be a good dedicated pack for packing out meat?

I run a mystery ranch Pintler great pack for hauling out meat and as a day pack.
G-Patt
500 Club

Unread postby G-Patt » Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:46 am

I've used a deer cart and a sled in the past. However, this year, I will be quartering and packing out. It should be interesting my first few times. LOL!
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!
Tsom
500 Club

Unread postby Tsom » Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:04 am

After dragging the hide off my buck last season I got a sled. Haven't got to try it out yet. My kids would be pretty disappointed if I showed up with a bag of meat and a head. They love seeing the deer!
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:13 am

Trout wrote:9/10 times i will go with gutless method and pack out even if I'm fairly close to the truck but I always have the ice fishing sled during season and have chosen to gut and sled them out when its all downhill. I'll never drag a deer out again. 20201122_135856.jpg

Hey Wisconsin guys… is this legal to do in WI?

(not questioning Trout’s method, just trying to clarify some not-excellent wording in the rule book)
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:34 am

greenhorndave wrote:
Trout wrote:9/10 times i will go with gutless method and pack out even if I'm fairly close to the truck but I always have the ice fishing sled during season and have chosen to gut and sled them out when its all downhill. I'll never drag a deer out again. 20201122_135856.jpg

Hey Wisconsin guys… is this legal to do in WI?

(not questioning Trout’s method, just trying to clarify some not-excellent wording in the rule book)

Once registered what would be the problem? If you meet the warden at the truck and he doesn't mention the bones you are good to go. If he says you have to pack out the bones then go and do it. :mrgreen:

I'm more of a spirit of the law than the letter of the law type of guy :lol:
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:49 am

I need a variety of mechanical devices to assist me if I am by myself. I have had multiple back operations and have trouble getting around so while it is a PITA it keeps me in the game.

I use a sled and/or a cart depending on the terrain. The sled will also contain the the blood and mess in the back of the truck. I have added a tow handle and a bungee cargo net to secure the deer into the sled and I use it on the cart as well. It’s faster and easier than tying them in:

To get the deer into the truck I use a game hoist to get it into the truck as I can’t do that anymore. I have modified the game hoist to use as a skinning pole and for butchering. I hang the deer on the chain I added to the top of the hoist and route the winch cable through a small snatch block that I hook to an eyebolt I added on the foot plate, connect to the hide with a chain loop, and crank away.

There is also a deer winch I made that mounts to a tree with a ratchet strap and I can use it to hoist a deer up a severe incline if I need it. One year I had a deer I shot die up against a sapling that was only a few feet from a 20’ steep drop off.

I know that it seems like a bunch of crap to keep in the truck but it all stacks neatly in the front of the bed and the sled sits on top of that.

Take care of your back folks. It’s easy to screw it up and it will change your life forever.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”