Method for dragging out deer

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Missionshooter
500 Club

Re: Method for dragging out deer

Unread postby Missionshooter » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:33 am

I bought a hawk crawler cart after reading fantastic reviews. $139 money well spent! That thing makes it super easy in hill country

STLBowhunter Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKzQUpmjiy8
Jimmy wallhanger
500 Club

Unread postby Jimmy wallhanger » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:51 am

rope drag, sucks early season, on snow its a breeze. Probably going to buy a sled this year. I usually just gut and drag out on the spot.
"I don't care if you use it or not, I could care less, There's no money in it for me, Im not making any money from scent-lok... I'm making a little bit of royalties from the saddlehunter suit"
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:55 am

Do you need to have meat bags if you quarter it out? Where do you get those?

I've always used a sled. I can have my deer gutted in 20 minutes. It seems quartering it would take alot longer?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
nchb

Unread postby nchb » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:59 am

tgreeno wrote:Do you need to have meat bags if you quarter it out? Where do you get those?

I've always used a sled. I can have my deer gutted in 20 minutes. It seems quartering it would take alot longer?

I re-purpose plastic grocery bags. Takes about five. Then put those in a garbage bag, in my Backpack.
I debone using the “gutless method” (several how-to’s on Yourube), and it takes 30-35 minutes. And unlike gutting, your hands hardly get messy at all.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:02 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:
Trout wrote:9/10 times i will go with gutless method and pack out even if I'm fairly close to the truck but I always have the ice fishing sled during season and have chosen to gut and sled them out when its all downhill. I'll never drag a deer out again. 20201122_135856.jpg

Hey Wisconsin guys… is this legal to do in WI?

(not questioning Trout’s method, just trying to clarify some not-excellent wording in the rule book)

Once registered what would be the problem? If you meet the warden at the truck and he doesn't mention the bones you are good to go. If he says you have to pack out the bones then go and do it. :mrgreen:

I'm more of a spirit of the law than the letter of the law type of guy :lol:

Yup!
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:18 am

I’ve tried it all. Debone and packout gutless method is the only thing that works for me. Even 200 yards from the truck on flat ground. My only complaint is I was too stubborn to do it earlier in life :lol:

I keep it simple and use a kelty lakota pro pack and 2 or 2.5 gallon ziploc bags for meat. I don’t use trash or grocery bags anymore as they are not food grade plastic
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
BRoth82
500 Club

Unread postby BRoth82 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:42 am

tgreeno wrote:Do you need to have meat bags if you quarter it out? Where do you get those?

Cabelas has Alaskan game bags for deer quarters, you get 5 I think for like $13. You can reuse them but I don't, also they're stretchy so you can fit half a deer in one bag. Also a good tip i found is to have a 4'x4' piece of plastic in your pack to lay the quarters on, weights nothing and keeps the meat cleaner.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:13 pm

The best way is the buddy system. That isn’t always possible tho. I’ve had to drag a few out from deep in public myself with a sled and glens deer handle. The gutless method might be in my future
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:48 pm

Check out the black ovis game bags, the medium size for deer. They pop up on camo fire pretty frequently for like $40, comes with 4 quarter bags, a smaller bag that i use for backstraps, tenderloins, rib and neck meat, a little carry sack and a few other little odds and ends like orange flagging tape and rubber gloves. I put em all in there along with my knife, a large contractor bag which I use like a table to set meat or tools on to keep em out of the leaves, my knife and a small field sharpener.

I've had mine for like 3 or 4 years now, packed out about a dozen deer with them, just handwash after you're done and back in the little carry sack for the next deer.
Hookslinger
500 Club

Unread postby Hookslinger » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:01 pm

For the gutless pack out method, or any pack out method for that matter, if your going to get the deer mounted how do you go about that correctly? Do you have to get good at caping it out or what?
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:10 pm

Hookslinger wrote:For the gutless pack out method, or any pack out method for that matter, if your going to get the deer mounted how do you go about that correctly? Do you have to get good at caping it out or what?

I don't skin out the head, since I'm not capable :lol:, but cape it out to the head and cut off at the last vertebrae. Super easy, watch a few YouTube videos. Slice hide up the spine all the way to skull. Circle cut on skin around abdomen, then peel off hide. There are good videos online.
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:16 pm

Hookslinger wrote:For the gutless pack out method, or any pack out method for that matter, if your going to get the deer mounted how do you go about that correctly? Do you have to get good at caping it out or what?

I do euro mounts for all my bucks, if you wanted to do a shoulder mount, you would probably want to skin the cape up to the base of the skull then cut the head off, roll the hide/cape up like a sleeping pad up to the head and strap it to the outside of your pack.

received_2638002116513827.jpeg

One thing I've found with the gutless method is its much easier to keep leaves/dirt off the meat when you skin along the side if the body like the pic below. Then you can flip that top half of fur out and it gives you some space between the ground and your backstraps or quarter. Take the meat off one side, bring that flap of fur back down then flip the whole carcass over.

20201108_130144.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andyschulte

Unread postby Andyschulte » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:21 pm

+1 on quartering and packing
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:57 pm

tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:43 pm

I’m still using brut strength(adrenaline) to drag deer up the bluffs by myself sometimes lol
Other times I call for help if available. I don’t butcher my own deer anymore so I don’t quarter them up or anything like that.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”