Method for dragging out deer

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dhoff
500 Club

Re: Method for dragging out deer

Unread postby Dhoff » Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:26 pm

I love grabbing one side of the rack and my best buddy grabs the other

Bowonly

Unread postby Bowonly » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:28 pm

tgreeno wrote:Do you need to have meat bags if you quarter it out? Where do you get those?

I've always used a sled. I can have my deer gutted in 20 minutes. It seems quartering it would take alot longer?

I use the black ovis bags that someone else mentioned. They're light, breathable and pack down small but I also used old pillow cases for several years.

Field quartering takes me 3 times as long as gutting but the pack out is WAY faster and easier on me compared to dragging.
Take someone hunting or fishing.
Drich

Unread postby Drich » Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:39 am

Sled. It is like your typical sled used by kids for sledding down snow hills, but blaze orange, thicker and stronger, a flat back so thee deer doesn't pop out, and has holes for ropes to hold the deer in place. First year using it was last year. Dragged four deer, one without snow. All super easy compared to two guys grabbing a horn or leg and dragging. Similar to this: https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/terrai ... 0000360374

If it's a fawn, I have typically thrown them over the shoulder and just carried them out. Hoping to try getting a larger deer out of the swamps by hanging it from a small log carried by two guy's shoulders at each end.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:50 am

This year I'm thinking of going the battery powered Sawzall route. Or quarter in field.

Dragging a large buck up our elevation is rough even with a sled.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:17 am

heck even on private probably drug more than I should have. Drove a truck or 4 wheeler to some, but mostly like Tim just drag em, and a buddy never hurts. What good is brute strength if your not going to use it.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:10 am

Uncle Lou wrote:heck even on private probably drug more than I should have. Drove a truck or 4 wheeler to some, but mostly like Tim just drag em, and a buddy never hurts. What good is brute strength if your not going to use it.

I'm a little short on brute strength. I call the man. One day I plan on shooting my biggest one yet to challenge him... :D
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:43 am

That's awesome Huntress. Keeping chivalry alive one buck at a time. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:57 am

Been using the same cart for quite a few years now, it had worked really well with just myself, but man it sure is nicer with a 2nd set of hands.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:26 am

Missionshooter wrote:I bought a hawk crawler cart after reading fantastic reviews. $139 money well spent! That thing makes it super easy in hill country

Just got an email, Midway has them on sale now for 119. Passing along for those still struggling to drag a big buck out.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
anelson1

Unread postby anelson1 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:34 am

Granted I have not had the opportunity to use this method, but the physics makes sense to me. I have the Hawk Cinch deer drag system which is very simple and fits in my pack. I hunt around a lot of CRP and short of the gutless method, carts and sleds are going to be pretty tough going. My plan is to use the Cinch as well as a heavy duty tarp big enough to use like a burrito on the deer to reduce friction (it's also small enough to fold and keep in my pack. The idea of the cinch is it goes around one antler and one leg and makes it easier to get head and shoulders off the ground for a drag. It's all theoretical for me at this point, but it seems like it should work well getting through tall grass. *fingers crossed
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:51 am

WV Bowhunter wrote:
Missionshooter wrote:I bought a hawk crawler cart after reading fantastic reviews. $139 money well spent! That thing makes it super easy in hill country

Just got an email, Midway has them on sale now for 119. Passing along for those still struggling to drag a big buck out.

If I were to buy another cart that’s the one I would get as well.

anelson1 wrote:Granted I have not had the opportunity to use this method, but the physics makes sense to me. I have the Hawk Cinch deer drag system which is very simple and fits in my pack. I hunt around a lot of CRP and short of the gutless method, carts and sleds are going to be pretty tough going. My plan is to use the Cinch as well as a heavy duty tarp big enough to use like a burrito on the deer to reduce friction (it's also small enough to fold and keep in my pack. The idea of the cinch is it goes around one antler and one leg and makes it easier to get head and shoulders off the ground for a drag. It's all theoretical for me at this point, but it seems like it should work well getting through tall grass. *fingers crossed

I always tied both legs up around the neck as it made it much easier to drag. I don’t think that a tarp would hold up for long. IMO I would try one of those roll up sleds if that’s the way you want to go. I haven’t used one though. I’m sure other members have.

Bob

Standard Deer Sleigh'r Game Sled
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/magnum-deer-sleigh039r-game-sled?a=1591656
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
JP BowHunter

Unread postby JP BowHunter » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:14 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:https://youtu.be/nbnp82DWMCE

Awesome video. Randy always does a great job explaining things.

That’s exactly what I do, except I go ahead and debone the rear hams so I’m not carrying those heavy leg bones.

He makes detaching the head look pretty easy… I’ve struggled with that part at times
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:52 am

I always shoot small bucks anyway. I just gut them and put them over my shoulder and power walk back to the truck and just hope no one sees me.

Most times I will drape my orange vest over the bucks spindly antlers or my face in shame...
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
JP BowHunter

Unread postby JP BowHunter » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:08 am

Bonecrusher101 wrote:I always shoot small bucks anyway. I just gut them and put them over my shoulder and power walk back to the truck and just hope no one sees me.

Most times I will drape my orange vest over the bucks spindly antlers or my face in shame...

Lol!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”