Bachelor groups vs loner bucks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MichiganMike
500 Club

Re: Bachelor groups vs loner bucks

Unread postby MichiganMike » Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:23 am

Mgaspari wrote:
<DK> wrote:
Mgaspari wrote:
tim wrote:The doe he is with is a good size doe with a deeper chest but he’s so big he dwarfs her she’s definately not a young doe

Yep, talking mature deer (buck and doe). I think it has more to do with the doe. Either she will be first to bred

I came here to say this as well. They seem to like breeding the closest mature doe to their core area. I have a few spots that the buck is bedding across the valley from a prime doe bedding area, even in summer. The same Doe can be on camera everyday so they probably know each other well.

There is a loner buck iv been trying to catch up to, 3 years as well. Hes very ghostly and tough to pattern. I have never seen him w another deer on camera. I jumped him once and ruined it for myself bc he was right where I needed him to be. He still comes around so fingers crossed this year!

Sounds like we are seeing same type of situation. I agree that is something with the doe either “dominant” doe, most reproductive or maybe in deer world she is a 10.

Thats a good point and interesting, Could open up something here in the deer world that we aren't aware of. Maybe shes that "it" doe that sends a vibe that mature bucks gravitate to and tend to hang around them. Something keep an eye on for sure

Findian
500 Club

Unread postby Findian » Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:53 am

I’ve talked about something similar to this a few years back never go much of a response. Anyways yeah I’ve seen it a lot especially with very big racked bucks that end up surviving as their bachelor buddy get killed. I’ve also seen them summer in a different area for a year or two but they usually come back to the same area in the fall. If not then they ain’t usually far away.
Mgaspari

Unread postby Mgaspari » Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:59 am

Findian wrote:I’ve talked about something similar to this a few years back never go much of a response. Anyways yeah I’ve seen it a lot especially with very big racked bucks that end up surviving as their bachelor buddy get killed. I’ve also seen them summer in a different area for a year or two but they usually come back to the same area in the fall. If not then they ain’t usually far away.

Have you seen them shadowing a mature doe? Even during summer?
Findian
500 Club

Unread postby Findian » Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:10 pm

Mgaspari wrote:
Findian wrote:I’ve talked about something similar to this a few years back never go much of a response. Anyways yeah I’ve seen it a lot especially with very big racked bucks that end up surviving as their bachelor buddy get killed. I’ve also seen them summer in a different area for a year or two but they usually come back to the same area in the fall. If not then they ain’t usually far away.

Have you seen them shadowing a mature doe? Even during summer?

Yeah here’s the link to what i was kinda talking about. Although I’m not 100% I agree with what I said about the moon phase I was just noticing a trend with that particular buck.
https://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewtop ... 23#p529023
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:22 pm

MichiganMike wrote:
Mgaspari wrote:
<DK> wrote:
Mgaspari wrote:
tim wrote:The doe he is with is a good size doe with a deeper chest but he’s so big he dwarfs her she’s definately not a young doe

Yep, talking mature deer (buck and doe). I think it has more to do with the doe. Either she will be first to bred

I came here to say this as well. They seem to like breeding the closest mature doe to their core area. I have a few spots that the buck is bedding across the valley from a prime doe bedding area, even in summer. The same Doe can be on camera everyday so they probably know each other well.

There is a loner buck iv been trying to catch up to, 3 years as well. Hes very ghostly and tough to pattern. I have never seen him w another deer on camera. I jumped him once and ruined it for myself bc he was right where I needed him to be. He still comes around so fingers crossed this year!

Sounds like we are seeing same type of situation. I agree that is something with the doe either “dominant” doe, most reproductive or maybe in deer world she is a 10.

Thats a good point and interesting, Could open up something here in the deer world that we aren't aware of. Maybe shes that "it" doe that sends a vibe that mature bucks gravitate to and tend to hang around them. Something keep an eye on for sure

All I know is this, I’ve struck out two years on this deer and I need to get him killed because he really is going to start going downhill sooner than later as old as he is lol
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:58 pm

MichiganMike wrote:
Mgaspari wrote:
<DK> wrote:
Mgaspari wrote:

This is the matriarch of the doe herd. It's pretty common and they are generally the oldest, wisest, and the first to be bred alot of times.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:02 am

may21581 wrote:
MichiganMike wrote:
Mgaspari wrote:
<DK> wrote:
Mgaspari wrote:

This is the matriarch of the doe herd. It's pretty common and they are generally the oldest, wisest, and the first to be bred alot of times.

True, but for a buck to hang with her and shadow her this time of of year seems odd. Mature bucks are usually pretty solidary but randomly in farm fields with a herd this time of year. This just seems odd. During pre rut or rut in a dense bedding area I would understand...
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:16 am

I have not seen a mature buck consistently hanging out with a doe.
I have seen them with the same other buck or bucks for long periods of time in both summer and hunting season.
I’ve watched the mature buck use the other deer as an additional layer of security and stay behind while the other bucks move through the area and only move after he is sure the cost is clear.

I am only guessing but I don’t think the reason they are spending time together is related to breeding.
By now I suspect he knows where the does live and when to be there.

I suspect she is a good companion because she has lived through several hunting seasons, isn’t careless and is like him in the way she moves or he is hardwired to seek out other deer his age and there aren’t many in the herd to pick from.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:48 pm

Ok so I went and pulled the as card and I’m even more amazed just how tight these 2 are! She enters the scene first always then when they leave if happens to leave first before he’s out of sight he stops and turns to wait for her and then she gets going with him. She is constantly working over hanging branches ( much more than usual IMO) and of all the videos he worked an over hanging branches once on same tree but on opposite side of tree as her. I can’t wait to see how long this bond lasts but for now they are tight and sticking pretty close to a certain area
Findian
500 Club

Unread postby Findian » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:09 am

I wonder if they are siblings? Does the buck rut around there?
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:42 pm

MichiganMike wrote:
may21581 wrote:
MichiganMike wrote:
Mgaspari wrote:
<DK> wrote:
Mgaspari wrote:

True, but for a buck to hang with her and shadow her this time of of year seems odd. Mature bucks are usually pretty solidary but randomly in farm fields with a herd this time of year. This just seems odd. During pre rut or rut in a dense bedding area I would understand...

My first year bow hunting I kept seeing a large 6pt in Sept that was always with a Doe that had a fawn. It didnt make much sense and still really doesnt. I do know bucks use Does or other deer as security while bedding and they also will let other deer enter fields before they do. Based on his comments about the deers habits it could just be that. I do believe bucks breed the closest mature Doe though. It just makes sense and the local bucks already know hes top dog. Iv seen it a few times but one occasion really opened my eyes watching a 4+ year old buck go after a old Doe on like Oct 10th. She even had 2 fawns w fading spots, they just tagged along behind like it was Nov. She was very old, she definitely had a crippled leg too. 7-10 days later he came cruising hard for her in the same exact spot. I could not shoot bc I had my tag filled.

Iv also seen and heard some odd things about breeding. Iv both witnessed and heard stories about Does following bucks after breeding. One story is from early-mid Oct. Last Dec I witnessed a rutting buck being followed by a Doe through a bedding area. He passed up the bed, she stopped at the bed, he was half way across a field and turned around to come back to her. I believe he fought another buck and was going to breed her or already did. Very odd exp.. I think its in my KZ thread

I believe these exp and this bucks habits are very rare occasions. I am infatuated by it bc iv seen things myself and its not the normal "deer thing" to do. I guess it could all be a coincidence. Its probably bc I have been out there so much early season. Ours starts Sept 15.

They can do some odd things but there is always the story about a mature Doe being un-killable. If a mature buck is doing that during the summer then I would suspect maybe she lost a fawn or didnt have one and he enjoys using her to his advantage. Or as others said maybe they grew up together.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:23 am

Findian wrote:I wonder if they are siblings? Does the buck rut around there?

He does not, it’s kill him early or I’m waiting till next year….however he will usually return late season 1 sometimes 2 times. At least that my cameras catch.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”